Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I know this sounds stupid, but after doing the 1.21 install I was able to insert my SD card after a hot sync, and delete the installer. This time, after 1.23, every time I put the card in, it tries to do the install again. Since I have no SD card reader other than my Treo, how am I to delete the installer? Fortunately, I used an extra card, but I'd like it back as a back up. I just eject the card before the installer actually starts, but still the card now is worthless.
    Thanks
    Let the installer run again, and format the card before you remove it after the (re)update completes.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    That seems like a pain in the ****.. Maybe you can find someone who has an SD camera or something of the works and then you can format it through that. Last resort, buy a card reader! It'll serve you for more purposes than just formatting the card this time around.
    I just downloaded the 1.21 update and copied all the files onto my SD card and inserted it into my T650. Nothing started autmatically so I manually ran the update program. It took the T650 5 mins to run it all and reset again. In the phone info screen, I have firmware 1.21 and software treo650-1.02-cng.

I have no more free space than I did before nor do I notice any major changes. Did I do something wrong?
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joker9989
    I just downloaded the 1.21 update and copied all the files onto my SD card and inserted it into my T650. Nothing started autmatically so I manually ran the update program. It took the T650 5 mins to run it all and reset again. In the phone info screen, I have firmware 1.21 and software treo650-1.02-cng.

I have no more free space than I did before nor do I notice any major changes. Did I do something wrong?
    Yes, you did it wrong. I did that too, and all you did was update the firmware, not the Palm OS. The secret is a blank SD card, with the "Palm" file as the only thing on it, and inside the palm file is the Folder "Device Customizer" and the application: "Start". Otherwise, this will not work.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Let the installer run again, and format the card before you remove it after the (re)update completes.
    And, WHAT will I use to format the card? The software that does that has been deleted during the hard reset used to clear the Treo and set it up for the upgrade. I need to either use Missing Sync to mount the card on my Mac desktop and erase it there, or some sort of software like maybe "Filez" to delet the file on the card from the Palm. But, during the upgrade, all such applications are removed. So, I'm in a bind here. The first time, to 1.21, the installer only ran after a hard reset. Now it runs if you put the card in. Maybe I can mail it to someone with a card reader who will erase it?

This is really crazy, but I don't have a camera that uses them, I only have Sony cameras that use memory stick. My HP Printer can read cards, but I don't think it can erase them, especially if there are no pictures on it, which is all it really reads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilover
    Yes, you did it wrong. I did that too, and all you did was update the firmware, not the Palm OS. The secret is a blank SD card, with the "Palm" file as the only thing on it, and inside the palm file is the Folder "Device Customizer" and the application: "Start". Otherwise, this will not work.
    Can you elaborate on "the 'Palm' file" as much as you can? Thanks
    I succumbed today to 1.23. Got over 10.2 megs extra!!! Yes, 10.2. My contacts.pdb was gigantic so the new memory block sure helped it. I also created a custom ROM (posted elsewhere) and that helped a lot as well.

I love playing with betas.
    I hate to sound stupid but

1. how do I find out what firmware version I have?
    2. How do I get FW 123?

I have an unlocked Treo 650, Cingular, GSM

Thanks
    From the phone, select options/info. Links to FW 1.23 are all over this board. I suggest you hold off until the FW is released.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by contempt
    I succumbed today to 1.23. Got over 10.2 megs extra!!! Yes, 10.2. My contacts.pdb was gigantic so the new memory block sure helped it. I also created a custom ROM (posted elsewhere) and that helped a lot as well.

I love playing with betas.
    I'm not surprised you got 10 megs. My contacts/calendar went from about 10 megs to about 1, so that is 9 megs without even considerings savings on other applications, some of which are significant, some are not. It is night and day. I was struggling to maintain 2 meg free before, which I've determined is necessary for it to function, as if you go under 1 meg it freaks out. Now I have many more apps in memory, and about 7 meg free.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joker9989
    Can you elaborate on "the 'Palm' file" as much as you can? Thanks
    The Palm file is what was downloaded, called Palm.123, and contains the Start app, and the Device Customizer folder. BE SURE TO RENAME the Pam File "Palm", no quotes, not "Palm.123" It will not work if you don't do that. I know, I tried that too. That probably is your problem.
    How does one do this SD way if you do not have a PC SD card reader ..?

Quote Originally Posted by Stalloneeh
    Since it doesn't look like anyone has posted on their success on this yet, I thought I'd give it a shot. Hell, I have nothing to lose as my Treo 650 is going back next week and my new one should arrive tomorrow.

I've just downloaded the 1.23 firmware from a post on this site and just ran the update. It's SD card only, just extract the files (they extract into a PALM folder), then copy this folder over to a CLEAN and EMPTY SD card. Plug the card into your Treo and it will ask you to plug in the charger.

Once you do that, you select the Updater on the screen that pops up, it starts installing, gets to 100%, then runs the scripts.

Finally, it resets (i counted 4 resets) choose the language, another reset, press Z as usual, calibrate the stylus, set the time and done. Make sure you also pull the SD card out so it doesn't go through the set up process again.

WOW,

Looks like the first fix is for how long it takes to connect to the Phone network. I counted about 10 seconds. with 1.21, it was 1 minute.

Phone reads:

Firmware: 01.23
    Software: Treo 650-1.06/5052/0 (then it's cutoff)
    Hardware: A

Still shows Garnet 5.4.7 and 21.8 of 22.4 megs free.

I have an Unlocked GSM Treo 650.

Start to finish was approx 30 minutes (Half of that time was copying 650 megs from SD Card to my computer and back again), so update takes only 10-15 minutes or so.

Then re-install Goodlink and restore with Backupman (took another 15 minutes or so).

I like 1.23 so far......
    Does anyone else notice that from v1.21 to v1.23 the handset speaker is uber low? Even when I have it max'd it isn't as loud as it was with v1.21 ... ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenTreo
    How does one do this SD way if you do not have a PC SD card reader ..?
    Use Card Export or a similar utility to allow your PC to see the SD card in your Treo as a USB storage device.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bishop
    Does anyone else notice that from v1.21 to v1.23 the handset speaker is uber low? Even when I have it max'd it isn't as loud as it was with v1.21 ... ?
    Results vary, and I don't believe anyone has yet determined a correlation between those that report a drop in volume, such as yourself, and those who report an improvement, such as myself.

Have you tried going into Real Player and cranking the volume to the max, BTW? For some reason, that apparently helps the volume levels everywhere.
    Hi,

you cann format SD card using built-in CardInfo application.
    I'm seriously considering installing 1.23 just because of the enabled DUN. I can't believe Cingular disables it. . .

What do all you experts think? I've been planning to wait for the Cing update, but if DUN is going to be disabled, I'll be better off with 1.23, I think.
    Last edited by Tonylmiller; 05/10/2005 at 06:04 PM.
    Upgrade 1.21 success. My mission was to raise my volume level and it does just that. Saving space is also awesome.

I do have a question though. I upgraded my Cingular locked GSM T650 to 1.21 and I'm still able to connect to the Cingular network which is perfect. Does this effectively unlock the phone? There are no traces of Cingular anymore, nor does the phone info indicate Cng as it used to. (Pardon me If I sound like an *****, cuz I'm not quite sure how the system is engineered)
    No, the subsidy unlock is completely unrelated to the firmware version. Your phone will still refuse to accept another carrier's SIM, but you are no longer subject to the software crippling (e.g. disabled DUN) that is present in the CNG firmware.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast