Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Glenn: I upgraded to 1.21, haven't gone to 1.23 yet as I'm perfectly satisfied with 1.21 (I'll upgrade as soon as official firmware is out).

1.21:
    -Fix memory NVFS issue (frees up an extra 3-6 megabytes for most people)
    -Complete cessation of daily crash/soft resets for me (previously 1-2 times daily, now gone 6 days without a single reset/crash)
    -Substantially improved battery life, definitely during regular data use (i.e. Chatter users) possibly for non-Chatter users as well
    -Improved speakerphone volume (reported by many who use it often, so I'm guessing it's for real)
    -Improved main speaker quality/minor volume improvement (reported by a few - maybe wishful thinking on their part)

1.23:
    -this is an incremental/bugfix release over 1.21. I'm not sure anybody has pointed out any substantive differences from 1.21 yet, though a few people who had problems with 1.21 don't with 1.23, I'm not sure if those are spurious results or not

So in short, the answer is yes, it's a wholly different phone for me now. The crash issue fix alone saves this phone from going down in the history books as the biggest piece of sh*t ever. This is basically the firmware that should have been shipped with the Treo to begin with.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Re: dcinstaller - from what I can tell, this is something used as part of the update process and can be deleted afterward.
    Quote Originally Posted by techie2
    Clicked on mine before I removed it. Didn't do anything but take me to the phone app.

Joe
    You are a brave man!!!!

Another positive thing, 1.23 has Bluetooth DUN enabled. I wonder if they made any stability improvements to that or just enabled it as is?

Update: swieder just pointed out that the new firmware also updated Versamail. Mine shows 3.0c. Anyone without the update, can you check your Versamail version? (in the About option in the menu). Realplayer is still 1.6.0.
    Last edited by ZBoater; 05/01/2005 at 10:27 AM.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    i havent seen a single crash yet on 1.23. Mine used to crash all the time before the flash...maybe 3-5 times a day
    I also clicked on DCInstaller (it's a sickness, I swear) and it does take you to the phone app. Only one problem so far with 1.23 - phone froze completely upon turning on after being off all night and had to do a soft reset. Otherwise all fine so far (day 2).
  6.    #26  
    I sent back my Treo 650 yesterday since my new one arrived on Friday.

I did the update to 1.23 Friday night, and started it from scratch.

I installed Uninstall, Backupman and Goodlink and synchronized all my Outlook contacts. I did NOT install from Backupman - I started fresh. Then today I installed Pockettunes.

No crashes AT ALL yet. 48 hours so far, so good.

My only beef is when connecting to GPRS. It's still finicky. If it doesn't connect right away, you need to do a soft reset then it connects to GPRS. I had this issue with 1.15, 1.21 and still with 1.23.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I've had the problem with connecting to GPRS as well.
    Rather than do a soft reset I turn the phone off by holding the red button to disconnect from Cingular. When I reconnect to Cingular I generally connect to GPRS on the first try.
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Update: swieder just pointed out that the new firmware also updated Versamail. Mine shows 3.0c. Anyone without the update, can you check your Versamail version? (in the About option in the menu). Realplayer is still 1.6.0.
    Versamail - before fw 1.21 (fw1.15) it was v3.0b - after applying the 1.21/1.23 patch it is v3.0c

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylovw
    I also clicked on DCInstaller (it's a sickness, I swear) and it does take you to the phone app....
    DCInstaller is as far as I know a part of the upgrade - doing another hard reset after upgrade process is finished will remove it. Remember to take out the SD-card before you perform the last hard reset
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Quote Originally Posted by jorang
    Remember to take out the SD-card before you perform the last hard reset
    Actually, if you used a card export program to load the SD card in the first place (i.e. if you have no external card reader), then you should reformat the upgrade card after the upgrade before you reset. This appears to be the only chance you have to get rid of the upgrade files using your Treo - after that, any time you insert that card, or reset with it already present, the upgrade will launch again.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  10. kgw
    what's the benefit of upgrading a locked GSM Cingular phone today to firmware 1.23 if the release for 1.25 may be May 5th. I do not currenty have any major issue with phone stability at this time. I am planning to have the phone unlocked by Cingular soon. Is this current unlocked firmware 1.23 an advantage over what would be released as 1.25 for Cingular locked phones?
    Quote Originally Posted by kgw
    what's the benefit of upgrading a locked GSM Cingular phone today to firmware 1.23 if the release for 1.25 may be May 5th.
    it May be May 5th or it May Not.. have fun waiting.
    AT&T 8925 + 8GB MicroSDHC + Jabra BT8040

Copper TREO 680 + 16GB SDHC + Holux M1000B + Palm BT Keyboard + Motorola S9
  12. kgw
    would upgrading to unlocked firmware 1.23 affect the warrenty on my locked Cingular GSM? thanks kgw
  13. kgw
    or is it better to unlock the phone from Cingular and then use the unlocked firmware upgrade?
    When the official upgrade is released, it will likely be in two flavours, for Cingular GSM and for Unlocked GSM. The likely differences will be that the Cingular version will continue to contain Cingular's own customizations, e.g. the XpressMail stub application and Cingular splash screens for the phone. It may also continue to have DUN disabled, and it may continue the current situation where the Cingular keyboard does not dim with the screen as the unlocked version does.

It's also possible that the official upgrade may check the existing version on the phone, and refuse to install on a non-matching version, which would preclude a Cingular subscriber flashing directly to the unlocked version of 1.25. However, if that were to be the case, one could always flash to 1.23 (which doesn't care) and then to 1.25.

Personally, I'll stick with the unlocked firmware. I'd rather have the version that Palm themselves issue for the 650, rather than what's left after Cingular's corporate hacks have had their way with it.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Where can I download firmware 1.23???
    Quote Originally Posted by u_m_rasmussen
    Where can I download firmware 1.23???
    Look in this thread which asks the exact same question and was posted half an hour earlier.
    Where can 1.23 be downloaded?
    I do hope you're joking.
    Dont want to sound ignorant, been reading about this update for some time, yesterday i downloaded the update that I got from another post, but it doesnt hard reset my t650 just a soft rest, I downloaded it to the sd card and it shows as Dcinstaller, is this correct?? if it wrong were can I get the right download path....
    So I downloaded 1.23. I extract ZIP file to my desktop and then try to drag the Palm folder via P1 Quick Install to install it on my SD card. The only file that shows up to install is Start.prc. So I tried to open every directory in the file and drag them over one by one but it won't work.

What am I doing wrong?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast