1.    #1  
    Ugh.

I joined this board about a year ago. In the last week, I had my left testicle removed due to testicular cancer (Stage I Seminoma -- highly curable with radiation -- close to 99%). I am very health conscious. It was quite a shock.

On the way to the hospital to my surgery, I got a chill when I noticed that I keep the phone either in my jacket pocket or in my trouser pocket.

Now, I had other genetic/physical risk factors, but I asked my urologist today when I went in to have my stitches removed from my lower abdomen (they have to go in through the "bikini line" to avoid spreading the cancer) -- I asked if it is possible that there is a link to cell phone use.

He told me there are still studies underway, but that he believes that they will find some link to increased cancers. He showed me that he keeps his cell phone in his inside jacket pocket and away from his groin. (I remarked "yeah that's great, right near your heart and lungs!)

I know that a lot of people think of things like this, but I can't even bear to keep the phone turned on now when it's in my pocket. (I might get a pager, and turn on my phone to return calls). Still, it can't hurt to try to keep the phone away from your body when possible.

I would probably say:

1) Don't charge it on your nightstand (that's a lot of time of solid exposure while you sleep).
    2) Don't cradle it on your desk directly over your lap. (that's more solid time working with the phone right over your lap).
    3) Turn off the radio when possible.

I may actually get the 650 now, so I can use bluetooth - but I might just get a bluetooth PDA and a bluetooth enabled cellphone. The Treo 600 actually has a much higher emission level than many other phones. Just below the limit, in fact.

Anyway, not trying to scare anyone, but I realized that my phone is always so close to my body -- we don't know enough about constant exposure to this stuff yet. I don't blame the Treo, but I think it could have helped "break the camel's back" when combined with other factors unique to my situation.

And do a regular self-exam. I had no pain or anything. If I didn't check, I wouldn't have found it.

Peace,
    Monk
    Monk-I don't know about all the radiation implications..T
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

but...I am sorry that you had to go through that.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

4.    #4  
    I don't think it's all from that -- for instance, another in my family had TC. However, in his time they didn't have cell phones.

Still, the Dr. said that a lot of these factors can be cumulative. I had read somewhere that a Treo emits many times more microwaves than one of the Sony Ericsson phones.

Still, it's not like we can avoid exposure. It's not like I can go "live off the grid" with the kind of work I do. We can reduce it, though, by charging further away from ourselves. Not sleeping with the phone charging on the nitestand, etc.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Monk,

See this thread.
    Sprint PCS Treo 600 & 650
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
  6.    #6  
    Mine is the CDMA. But I did use a HipTop with GSM for a year. I am a heavy cell user. Going to try to reduce my exposure. Maybe get some lead underwear.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Good call! I'm glad you were diagnosed and taken care of though.
    Sprint PCS Treo 600 & 650
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
  8.    #8  
    They prescribed my treatment today. 2500 cGy of radiation therapy. 15 sessions. Not sure if that means 2500 each time or cumulative. Found it early enough that the probability of cure the first time out is ~98%.

I'm sure that radiation is much stronger. But at least it's curative.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Monk -

For what it's worth, I went through this 20 years ago. Also caught early. Small amount of radiation. Hasn't been seen since.

Beware though: They told me I'd be able to work during the radiation. It made me pretty darn sick. Hopefully that was just me.

I wish you well.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the good wishes, and continued health to you as well.

I love your Boston Terrier. Ours (Molly) is sitting on my lap as I type this. My favorite breed.
    Monk,

Thanks for the info. I'm sorry to hear you went through that. My father is a cancer survivor (squamous cell cancer in his neck). He went through chemo and radiation and is doing great now. I hope that your treatments go well.

I now regularly donate to different cancer foundations (this past year was the Lance Armstrong Foundation). Along with my donation, I purchased many of their LiveStrong bracelets. Any TC member wishing to have one, let me know. I have some adult and youth sized ones. No charge for the bracelet or shipping. I will have to limit the mailings to the continental US though.

If you're interested, PM or email me with your address and which size you'd like. I'll send them out until I have no more. (I probably have about 20-25 total).
    --> Me fail english? That's unpossible!! <--
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk
    I love your Boston Terrier. Ours (Molly) is sitting on my lap as I type this. My favorite breed.
    I grew up with retrievers. It's weird having a dog with a round head. But he's cool.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!