Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I guess it is a matter of personal tastes. Hey, some people like the way XP looks....the first thing I do when working on an XP box is revert to small fonts and classic view. I think people who like the way XP looks will like ZLauncher.

The phone screen you have looks no different other than style and the fact that all the lettering and icons are bigger. If anything, I'd knock mine down smaller.

The today screen is too busy for me and hard to read, I much prefer:

http://www.lilredspider.com/TMP/index.html

If anything I want the icons and text smaller and every skin I have seen with ZLauncher makes 'em bigger. The home app screen in the basic palm lets me see 12 apps, I notice yours is cut down to 9.....to me that kills one of the best features of the 650 ...its "working area" is cut down from 320 x 320 to 240 x 320. I used to love Launcher III on my Vx, but I dropped its successor LauncherX cause those tabbies stole too much screen real estate.
    So you like a simple look? Hows this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...p-BE7C1B06.bmp

or this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...p-BE7C185F.bmp

You want to fit more icons on the screen? hows this? (49 icons)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...p-BE9B2B38.bmp

or this? (132 icons)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...p-BE9B2B04.bmp

You want a less cluttered Today screen? hows this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...p-BE9B2AFD.bmp

you want smaller text not larger? Hows this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...p-BE9B2B9D.bmp

The beauty of ZLauncher isn't any one thing it does, it is the fact that it is almost 100% customizable. You can make it look however you want.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    How do you get it to not display the tab name on the tab itself? I've been trying to do that myself.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    How do you get it to not display the tab name on the tab itself? I've been trying to do that myself.
    Go to any tab, hit:
    Menu>Tab>Tab Properties>General>Caption: DE-select, CHGs>ALL, OK

Then:

MenuOptions>ZL preferences>Tab>Auto Hide Inactive Tab Caption, DE-select, OK

Done.
    Soylent Green Is People

Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phaggard
    Take a look at mine. You really need to play with all the settings in Zlauncher.
    What settings are you using to display what appears to be the Today plugin at the bottom of the screen? I've looked all over and haven't found it.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    One other thing - if you have Fonts4OS5, then you can tweak the fonts quite a bit too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillin_
    MenuOptions>ZL preferences>Tab>Auto Hide Inactive Tab Caption, DE-select, OK
    That's what I was missing. Totally counter-intuitive that in order to hide the active caption, you have to opt not to hide the inactive ones. Thanks!
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    The beauty of ZLauncher isn't any one thing it does, it is the fact that it is almost 100% customizable. You can make it look however you want.
    Assuming that was the case, (I still find icons too garish). if I was to use ZL to get it to look exactly like the Palm default, what's the point ? You can make the Palm use small icons also but at the default 12 per page, I find the size just about ideal for quick viewing. I don't have more than 12 in any one category (biggest ones are system and utilities) so the ability to display more than 12 doesn't really help.

One screen looked much like LauncherX which again I was a long time user of....I just think Palm did a lot of usability work on the UI such that I don't feel that tweaking it offers me any advantage. With $$ involved, no perceived advantage and a long learning curve, I don't feel I'd be walking away with anything for my investment of time and money.

I realize there are many people who use their palm "cause it can". Many love typing answers to 45 e-mails on their Treo for example "cause they can". I am more likely to look at subject headings for 45 e-mails on my Treo, answer 2 or 3 and then go back to the hotel at night and answer the other 42 cause it's more "expedient" to type on a full sized keyboard w/ 17" screen than with my thumbs on a 2" screen.

I once started a thread her entitled "What's Bigger".....a) the time you save using your Treo or b) the time you waste using your Treo ? Most, if not all, said b. I see ZL as using more T & E (time and effort) than it saves. Others, as the saying goes, "mileage may vary".
    Chillin --

I like your set up. Can you specify the themes or how you customized it?
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmbritton
    Since we are sharing, heres snapshots of the theme I use.

I didn't create the theme but I added all the icons to fit the themes style. The today plugin helped me through my conversion from PPC. Zlauncher is my favorite app for the Palm OS.
    what theme & iconset? is that looks pretty slick
    here's how my zlauncher looks...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Assuming that was the case, (I still find icons too garish). if I was to use ZL to get it to look exactly like the Palm default, what's the point ? You can make the Palm use small icons also but at the default 12 per page, I find the size just about ideal for quick viewing. I don't have more than 12 in any one category (biggest ones are system and utilities) so the ability to display more than 12 doesn't really help.

One screen looked much like LauncherX which again I was a long time user of....I just think Palm did a lot of usability work on the UI such that I don't feel that tweaking it offers me any advantage. With $$ involved, no perceived advantage and a long learning curve, I don't feel I'd be walking away with anything for my investment of time and money.
    So, you are saying that you find the Palm UI perfect and are happy with it just the way it is... Obviously no launcher is for you. End of Story.

I find the Palm UI to be childishly simple, has almost zero customizability, is not user friendly, does not give the ability to transfer apps to the card, does not give me athe ability to properly view the card, does not give the ability to view more than 12 icons per screen, does not give the abilty to hide the "all" category, does not give the abilty to select a default category, etc, etc, etc, etc... Obviously I need a launcher
    Soylent Green Is People

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I love Zlauncher after trying all of them (Launcher X, facer, megalauncher, etc.) it is a little complex to get used to but you get great results. Below is my screen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Soylent Green Is People

Here are some of my screens. I've taken a lot of guidance from Chillin. I can say that the time I have taked to customize the screen I have made up for in productivity. I also reduced some clutter to make them cleaner.

The today view is very helpfull.
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...e/screen1a.bmp

I have small icons and white background:
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...e/screen2a.bmp

and with a colored background. I also have larger icons when I have fewer icons on a page.
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...e/screen3a.bmp
    ^ I like the Crystal theme you are using, and would use it myself except for the strange signal indicator.

Anyways, just curious what is with the [*?]'s in front of your Appt.s?
    Soylent Green Is People

Themes are fun, but I really love the QuickLaunch feature in ZLauncher. I have my side button configured to launch the QuickLaunch application and it's one feature I couldn't do without. It makes getting from app to app much easier and it allows me to execute other tasks, such as a soft reset, without ever pulling out my stylus.
    I find the Palm UI to be childishly simple, has almost zero customizability, is not user friendly, does not give the ability to transfer apps to the card, does not give me athe ability to properly view the card, does not give the ability to view more than 12 icons per screen, does not give the abilty to hide the "all" category, does not give the abilty to select a default category, etc, etc, etc, etc... Obviously I need a launcher
    I have customized my Treo to break programs up into various groups which I tap a button to scroll thru categories. I have used other apps to provide customizations that I actually want. I use Power Run to move apps back and forth and FileZ as my File Manager. I use the side button to launch my favorite app. And the Treo powers on to whatever app I choose. I am looking right now at my Treo with 22 names and icons, there's no limit of 12. As for hiding the "all" category, I can't imagine why I would want to do that. My biggest objection that remains however is that I have found every ZL screen that I have seen to be "aesthetically unattractive".

As for making things simple...simple is fast. As a comparison, put Windows XP on any hardware and then put Win2k and WinNT on the same hardware and XP gets it's doors blown off. XP adds bloat which has no performance effect but to slow things down....all for the sake of "ooh look at me" icons and desktop graphics.

The best analogy I can make is an actual experience. I had a government offcial in the office waiting to and deliver a bill for 6 months work so he could get it in in the current billing cycle. The bill was for in excess of $180,000.

To make everything current, I needed the time spent on two projects by one employee who hadn't sent in a time sheet. I called him 4 times during the day as the official waited in my office. When he finally sent it in at 3:30, I told him it was too late as the official already left. His excuse was that he was waiting the the field office's one computer to be available so he could use a spreadsheet. Here's what I needed:

Job 1 24 16
    Job 2 26 14
    Total 50 30

Moral of the story. His technology crutch cost me $2,700 in payroll financing charges. I said next time write the four %$#@$&% numbers on a freakin napkin and fax it over. I prefer use the Treo as a tool, not a lifestyle choice. I give an employee a Treo, I don't want to pay his salary for 4, 8, 12 or whatever hours to "learn" a program so he can save 1/4 of a second calling me when he's driving down the freeway. To my mind, the words "steep learning curve" should not be associated with a Palm device....it goes against the very reasons that I own a Palm.

But there's room for all sorts in this world and, as indicated by the "what's bigger" thread I previously mentioned, many people just love playing with their Treos. Customizing a car doesn't get you a from home to the office any faster but people have fun doing it so that's fine with me.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    CHillin, I have the Aquawood theme too. But I don't know how to do 2 things with it:

1.) How do you get the top and bottom bar to be white?
    2.) How do you have all those tabs on the top bar?
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrimse
    Here are some of my screens. I've taken a lot of guidance from Chillin. I can say that the time I have taked to customize the screen I have made up for in productivity. I also reduced some clutter to make them cleaner.
    and the name of your theme is?
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by myculito
    CHillin, I have the Aquawood theme too. But I don't know how to do 2 things with it:

1.) How do you get the top and bottom bar to be white?
    2.) How do you have all those tabs on the top bar?
    1. menu.options.zl prefs.top/botom bar.top bar pattern.use built in back image: DEselect. Then select back colour and frame colour if you choose.
    repeate for bottom bar.

2. I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean the tabs below the top bar?* Or do you mean the title of the current tab?**

* menu.options.zl prefs.general.tabmode:top

** menu.options.zl prefs.top/bot bar.Category:select
    Soylent Green Is People

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast