Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Everybody is against the lawyer until they get injured by a defective product, hurt in a work incident, ripped off in a home deal, etc.

Class action lawsuits are expensive and not always worth the risk (many settle).

No problems with my T600.
    Not against lawyers. Against lawyers who seek out opportunities to make money when there is no real harm. Anytime a law firm has to go searching for plaintiffs, rather than representing a plaintiff who comes to them, it seems clear the main goal is to make money for the lawyers.

My company got sued in a similar fashion a few years ago. Eventually, the court threw the lawsuit out, but it still cost the company hundreds of thousands of dollars to defend.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  2. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    My company got sued in a similar fashion a few years ago. Eventually, the court threw the lawsuit out, but it still cost the company hundreds of thousands of dollars to defend.
    Oh, that sucks, hope you got costs...
    My Treo works fine, most of the time. When it doesn't, it's usually a coverage issue, around there GSM doesn't have great coverage outside urban areas, nothing to do with the hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Most of the class action lawsuits leave multi-millionaire lawyers, and the people get squat !
    The people in class actions that get to a jury do get something. Do companies appeal the judgments? Of course. When the money gets paid, do the law firms get more than an individual in the class action? Of course, its never more than 50% though.

One, and only one post by a troller.
    Who is trolling? If you are suggesting I am, look at what I wrote...I challenged someones suggestion on what they wrote and I spoke to the original issue of the treo having interference/buzzing sound.

Yes, law student, right ?
    Yes, and if you look at my posts, I tend to be very particular on the way I word my comments/opinions.

Never said all lawyers are evil.
    Where did I say that you said that 'all lawyers are evil.'? If I had said that it then I would have quoted you.
    Can anyone tell me where I can find that French site with the info about untwisting :shortcut: the cable etc etc....?
    regards NLeo
    The people in class actions that get to a jury do get something. Do companies appeal the judgments? Of course. When the money gets paid, do the law firms get more than an individual in the class action? Of course, its never more than 50% though.

Who is trolling? If you are suggesting I am, look at what I wrote...I challenged someones suggestion on what they wrote and I spoke to the original issue of the treo having interference/buzzing sound.

Yes, and if you look at my posts, I tend to be very particular on the way I word my comments/opinions.

Where did I say that you said that 'all lawyers are evil.'? If I had said that it then I would have quoted you.
    When you can't understand plain English maybe law is your profession.
    Last edited by dlbrummels; 05/25/2005 at 08:16 AM.
    Oh, yeah. Big settlements.

I've actually been a party (involuntary) to a couple of class action suits. One against a cellular service provider. I got a coupon good for $25 or somesuch. Of course, to use it, I would have to sign up with that provider again, so they'd make much more money off of me than the coupon cost them. The lawyers, as I recall, made millions. In cash, not coupons.

Another class action I got less than that. IIRC, it was a coupon worth $5 and, once again, I had to spend money for it to be worth anything. And, once again, the lawyers made millions in cash.

Class action suits do have a valid purpose. They can be very effective at punishing companies that engage in illegal behavior, and can act as a deterent to companies considering engaging in shady or risky practices. But, given what the courts are approving as settlements these days, they rarely provide any real benefit to the plaintiffs, and enrich the law firms that file them.

Yes, I know you said cases that reach the jury. Care to enlighten us on just what percentage of class action suits ever do? Lawyers have every incentive to settle, because that guarantees them large profits. Going to a jury entails risk, and that's not what most of these lawsuits are about. Frankly, I can't remember that last larger class action suit that was decided by a jury.

Finally, and this is certainly a one sided source, the following link has some interesting information:

http://www.cato.org/pubs/regulation/reg20n4j.html
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    This is the most ridiculous lawsuit ever investigated. They should file a lawsuit against the lemon "T-Mobile Sidekick," the most defective electronic unit in the history of mankind. LOL. I'm dead serious...
    Quote Originally Posted by NLeO
    Can anyone tell me where I can find that French site with the info about untwisting :shortcut: the cable etc etc....?
    regards NLeo
    I will paraphrase.

0. Hotsync to backup your treo. You will be disconnecting power and MAY loose data.
    1. Turn off treo.
    2. take the stylus out.
    3. remove the screw covers with tooth-pick
    4. remove the torx screws [not sure but I think it is #6]
    5. Separate the shell with a credit card.
    6. the wire (black for me) connets the battery pack to the ckt board. Gently pry out one end of the connector. TWIST (NLeo problem is the wires are untwisted) 4 or 5 turns and connect back the connector.

With an untwisted wire the electric field is not cancelled and causes interference. With the twisting action the field cancels iteself and thus no interfernce.

4/5 turn is guide line. Do more if you can -smooth and even twirls- just dont overdo it (break a wire or lenght gets too short).

Caution: Follow the process at your own risk. I had no problems.

Salim
    When you can't understand plain English maybe law is your profession.
    Oh you are correct. I guess I could understand plain english if you actually wrote in a complete sentence.
    Never said all lawyers are evil.
    Not against lawyers. Against lawyers who seek out opportunities to make money when there is no real harm. Anytime a law firm has to go searching for plaintiffs, rather than representing a plaintiff who comes to them, it seems clear the main goal is to make money for the lawyers.
    The attorney's motivation may very well be to make money. However, many plaintiffs dont even know that they may be affected by a product and that they could be involved in a class action (hence the reason to 'search them out'.)

I am sorry for that but the attorney (or team of attorneys) made a lot of money defending your company. I wonder what their motivation was?
    Oh, yeah. Big settlements.

I've actually been a party (involuntary) to a couple of class action suits. One against a cellular service provider. I got a coupon good for $25 or somesuch. Of course, to use it, I would have to sign up with that provider again, so they'd make much more money off of me than the coupon cost them. The lawyers, as I recall, made millions. In cash, not coupons.
    Fair enough but why were you a part of the suit? What did the cellular service do to you (my guess, based on the damages paid to you, that it wasnt much). If thats the case, how much do you think you should have got?

Another class action I got less than that. IIRC, it was a coupon worth $5 and, once again, I had to spend money for it to be worth anything. And, once again, the lawyers made millions in cash.
    See above.

Class action suits do have a valid purpose. They can be very effective at punishing companies that engage in illegal behavior, and can act as a deterent to companies considering engaging in shady or risky practices. But, given what the courts are approving as settlements these days, they rarely provide any real benefit to the plaintiffs, and enrich the law firms that file them.
    I agree in part...here is a quote from here:

Class action lawsuits are seen by some as a wonderful way for high-minded lawyers to come to the rescue of "the little people" who individually do not have a large enough claim to justify hiring their own attorneys, but who in the aggregate have claims running into the millions.

Yes, I know you said cases that reach the jury. Care to enlighten us on just what percentage of class action suits ever do? Lawyers have every incentive to settle, because that guarantees them large profits.
    They have an interest to settle but so do the companies..and arguably, the settlement amounts are less and the chance of winning the case is less so its 'better' to settle.
    Oh you are correct. I guess I could understand plain english if you actually wrote in a complete sentence.
    Maybe, if I spoke in double speak, a lawyer want to be, could understand.

But….then we’re talking the OC.

Last edited by dlbrummels; 05/26/2005 at 12:14 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12