Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I have a Cingular Treo 650 with unlimited data package. Is there any way that I can connect my laptop to the internet through the Treo? I'd like to be able to connect my laptop on the go without having to buy another unlimited data package.

-Steve
    Yes, but not as delivered by Cingular. Search this forum for mentions of Shadowmite's DUN hack, or wait for Palm to release the upcoming Unlocked GSM upgrade and apply it to your Cingular phone to get rid of Cingular's custom apps and unlock DUN.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    there is also a program called PDAnet that will allow you to do it now. I have heard good things about this program but I have not tried it yet.
    PdaNet rocks!! Works great! Just installed it a few days ago, and works well with my Treo 650 to give my laptop internet connection.
    Be sure to check on exactly what Cingular plan you have. I have a $24.99 unlimited plan, but that is only for unthethered use. I can surf all I want with the Treo but as soon as I connect it to a laptop (I happend to use PDANet over Bluetooth), I get charged $0.001/kB (about $1/MByte). I'm not sure how the system can tell the difference, but it can. There are some plans (I think they run around $49.99 to $79.99) that do give you unlimited data even for a PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by emuyshondt
    Be sure to check on exactly what Cingular plan you have. I have a $24.99 unlimited plan, but that is only for unthethered use. I can surf all I want with the Treo but as soon as I connect it to a laptop (I happend to use PDANet over Bluetooth), I get charged $0.001/kB (about $1/MByte). I'm not sure how the system can tell the difference, but it can. There are some plans (I think they run around $49.99 to $79.99) that do give you unlimited data even for a PC.
    While I don't doubt your word, your experience is the opposite of mine. I also have the $24.99 MediaNet Unlimited plan, and I used DUN extensively while staying with my wife after surgery last month, with no excess traffic or usage charges whatsoever.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    PDANet works well. I use it via BT on my Cingular 650. I am supposed to have unlimited data (according to Cingular), but month 1 and 2 they had my account screwed up.... fixed it though...
    If you are being charged extra when using PDAnet than I suggest you call Cingular to have them fix your plan. I have the unlimited plan and called Cingular this week. They credited me for the Internet Xpress use and said that I should not be charged extra in the future.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I recently started using PDANet with SprintPCS. Works like a charm. Hope Sprint doesn't hit me with some ridicolous charges.
    I've used PDANet on my treo 600 and 650 quite a bit for about a year now. Don't bother trying anything else including the 'bluetooth DUN' hack. PDANet works well, it's super simple, works with both the USB cable as well as bluetooth, and uses your existing unlimited data plan with no additional charges.
    PDANet. Trust me. It's the best solution and it works very simply.

http://www.junefabrics.com/
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I have purchased and use PDA net, it is awsome. I have a SE EDGE card, and PDANET is not quite as fast, but it much easier to use (I don't have to pull out the sim card). I have an AT&T account with unlimited data. I'm sold on it.
    Randy
    I have never heard of PDAnet until I saw this thread. I downloaded the free trial and WORKS WELL!!!! I set it to 386 kbps.

how long is the free trials anyway?
    I recently purchased the full version of PDAnet, It has been several days now and I have not recieved my e-mail with my registration code. So I tried to contact them at support@junefabrics.com four times now over several days and still no response. Just want people aware that they may not deliver what they say. Tjough I did enjoy the trial version I may just flash my 650 with frimware version 1.23. That is unless June Fabrics gets their act together, in which case I wil gladly use PDAnet.
    I received my PDANet Code within like an hour, after having purchased last week. Sorry you did not. Not to be too obvious but just a suggestion check your spam filter, I am seeing more and more auto response stuff being held up with mine. The price of security.
    I just purchased PDAnet, 5 minutes ago, and received the code 3 minutes ago.
    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Sprint TP-3000 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650
    I have a 650 on TMO and pdanet simply doesn't work. It keeps failing at the identification and password stage, and I can't seem to get by that. If I switch, as they suggest, to one of the other modes such as T-Zones, I actually get through but have no communications. They say to disable my other LAN, which I did, but no changes at all. I'm really disappointed because I used PDANet with my 600 forever. Any advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by tterrab
    I have purchased and use PDA net, it is awsome. I have a SE EDGE card, and PDANET is not quite as fast, but it much easier to use (I don't have to pull out the sim card). I have an AT&T account with unlimited data. I'm sold on it.
    Randy
    Question regarding PDANET. Maybe I'm missing something important here, but if you have a good data plan for your Treo why would you want to use pdanet to access the Internet via your laptop? I find there is almost no web site I cannot get to with my Treo browser that I really would like to access; eg., this forum thread as I type on my Treo.

I've known about pdanet for some time, but I don't see any advantage. Perhaps I just need some education here, so enlighten me if you will.

Thanks much in advance
    I use PDANet because I need to access my corporate e-mail while traveling. I have not been able to get a VPN client to work with our coprorate firewall. Also, I have my work mail on Outlook and have all my databases on my laptop automatically backed up.

Browsing is not nearly as comfortable using the small Treo keyboard and small screen as it is using the laptop. I love my Treo and use it to browse the web when I'm not at a desk of some kind. However a laptop is far more comfortable if you have a decent working surface for it. Blazer works, but you can't open multiple windows and can't render many of the higher function pages.
    You can simply do a lot more on a laptop than on the Treo 650.
    Multiple browser windows, open PDFs, VPN in to corporate email and use outlook, download things. If you're stationary and you have a laptop, everything is much easier on the laptop than the Treo.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Basically, the Treo is a joke compared to a laptop. It's a convenience when on the move but it is beyond even fantasy to imagine doing any truly serious work on a Treo. I use pdanet (or I should say I used pdanet) to do all sorts of serious research and consulting work for major clients, including writing several books and articles. You can't do that on a Treo. What you can do on a Treo is stay abreast of things--field emails, get a feel for various files that you may have on hand, but aside from not being even to open a pdf file, you just can't do even non-serious work on a Treo platform! No way! My problem, of course, is I can't do it on the laptop either. Anybody have any thoughts about what might be hanging up my pdanet on this 650? I do all my work in the summer from a house that has no power or telephone (I use solar for power and my cellphone for phone and internet service) and so really depend upon pda net. Now I don't know what to do. There could be a real good deal on a 650 coming somebody's way real soon if I can't resolve this....