Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Im thinking about buying voice dial for the 650. Does it work or are there better options out there?
    People have said it works wonderfully but it doesn't work with Bluetooth headsets.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    as I understand it, no voice dial works with a BT headset due to the Treo's current BT standard.

I use Voice Dial and am very impressed. there is no training, and it recognizes some of the most unusual ethnic names I have in my address book. I have also added contacts like "home" - now all I say is "call home" and it dials. this is a great solution if you use the Treo in the car a lot.

Voice Dial has a trial period. Download, install, configure it (2 minutes and very easy) and you are ready to go. I bought it after using it for just a couple days....
    voice dail sucks, it dose not work well at all.... Tred it out and it was laughably bad...

Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    as I understand it, no voice dial works with a BT headset due to the Treo's current BT standard.

I use Voice Dial and am very impressed. there is no training, and it recognizes some of the most unusual ethnic names I have in my address book. I have also added contacts like "home" - now all I say is "call home" and it dials. this is a great solution if you use the Treo in the car a lot.

Voice Dial has a trial period. Download, install, configure it (2 minutes and very easy) and you are ready to go. I bought it after using it for just a couple days....

I second this review -- Voice Dial has worked wonderfully for me.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horsmanp
    voice dail sucks, it dose not work well at all.... Tred it out and it was laughably bad...
    funny - wonder what you did differently - I thought it was a well priced, well designed app.

what didn't work ??
    Quote Originally Posted by dean2526
    Im thinking about buying voice dial for the 650. Does it work or are there better options out there?
    If you're currently using Bluetooth, don't waste your time with the 650.

This will probably sound pretty cynical to you but consider this:

1. PalmOne (and Handspring) should have put Bluetooth in the Treo 600, they did not.
    2. PalmOne should have put BT 1.2 in the 650, they did not.
    3. PalmOne currently has only nine BT headsets that are supported, two of the ten shown on their compatibility page are really one headset (their own rebranded one named two different names) and four others are outdated models... leaving only 4 headsets to choose from and none of them are really what you'd call a serious workhorse of a headset... that's nuts.

See: http://www.palmone.com/us/support/bl...atibility.html

You following me on this?

In other words... don't hold your breath on any significantly high-tech cutting edge headsets being added to their list of "profiles" any time soon, if at all.

As far as voicedialing goes? I don't know about you but for me it's kind of pointless without Bluetooth... dealing with a wired headset with a "cutting edge" pda/phone like the Treo 650 in mid 2005 is just plain archaic foolishness.

But that's just my opinion... I could be wrong.
    I use bluetooth all the time, and have not found a voice dial app that works worth a darn. Voice Dial is a piece of junk. I would say Andrea (my wifes name), and it would dial home??? I deleted it almost as soon as I loaded it. I use the 1 touch dialing to dial almost everyone I need to.
    Randy
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    everyone who doesn't like voice dial says it sucks and then won't elaborate. true, you might have to use it a little to get the hang of it, but I've used it in the car, on the highway with the radio on and it worked perfectly. I'd love to hear specifically where other folks had a problem to get a better understanding.

As for Treo headsets, I have used the Scala (little crackling but Iliked it), Jabra (didn't like it), Treo headset (like it) and the Logitech Mobile Pro (love it) - going to try the Bluespoon..... I don't know what is listed as compatible, but that's four so far - they all worked.

Other than listen to music thru the headset which you cannot do but I would love to do, I have found the 650, BT HEadset and Voice Dial a good combination. I use about 2000 minutes a month (for reference)....
    it works perfect for me after I took the choicelist option off...I have never had it screw up after that -- works PERFECT and it my most used app.
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23
    it works perfect for me after I took the choicelist option off...I have never had it screw up after that -- works PERFECT and it my most used app.
    Not using BT eh?
    Works well for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by docmaster
    Not using BT eh?
    I use a Scala and use voice dial to dial nearly all numbers I call with excellent success. All it takes is a quick press and hold of the side button, speak clearly into the Treo mic and off it goes.

Not sure why it wouldn't work for any one unless there is a speach impediment or accent impacting receipt of the command.

Truly, I don't see how this program could be easier.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I'm gonna have to throw my vote in too for "it works perfectly". I'd say it gets it right 95% of the time (i turned off choice lists because it usually gets the right name). I don't use it with BT, but I think it's been pretty clearly established that BT and VoiceDial don't mix well....as far as normal handset operation, I'm beyond impressed with the software.
    Works well for me ... while in my car, I use the Voice Dial to initiate the call which is automagically sent to my bluetooth TWH (Treo Wireless Headset) ...Never take my eyes off the road. It was worth the $$$ for me ...
    Cingular Treo 650 (Unlocked?!?)
    Firmware 01.51 Software Treo650-1.17-CNG H/W A
    Treo Wireless Headset - Apple Ti15 OSX 10.3.9
    Palm VII -> Motorola StarTAC -> Treo 600
    I think the people who hate it have not figured out how to use voicedial.
    When I first used it ithought it was junk...
    Until I realized I had say the command "call" before I said the contact or the number.
    Now it gets it right damn near all of the time...
    Even in the car with the radio on.
    For contacts it works best if you say the first and last name.
    i have been playing around with the trial version the last few days-i really want it to work but i have been having trouble. I don't have an accent or anything (although i tend to talk quick). I say call Joe Smith at home and maybe 40-50% of the time it finds it as one of the 3 choices. any other hints to help make it work better?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Hold the treo like Captain Kirk about 12" from your mouth - I'll explain of you do not know what that means...

don't run words together Call Tom Jones Work

my standard settings work fine.
    I can't find where to dowload VoiceDial. I've looked at the TreoCentral store, palmgear, handango, and palmone websites, but no luck. I'm assuming this app is different from VoiceDialer, which requires training.

Can anyone point me to where I can download VoiceDial?
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    Hold the treo like Captain Kirk about 12" from your mouth - I'll explain of you do not know what that means...

don't run words together Call Tom Jones Work

my standard settings work fine.
    Exactly...
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast