Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I'm gearing up to use my new Treo 650 CDMA, and I'm looking at mp3 ringer apps.

On the one hand, Ringo Pro has a built in player so you don't need a 3rd party app to play mp3s as ringers.

On the other hand, Ringo and Lightwav use 3rd party apps like pocket-tunes to play mp3 ringers.

I guess my question is are there any noticeble drawbacks to having to use a 3rd party program to actually play back the songs? It seems like it would be less than ideal / more prone to bugs.

Has anyone tried both methods and have any input on this?

It sounds like Ringo Pro is pretty stable while a lot of users are having problems with Lightwav resetting their Treo. Otherwise Lightwav looks to have a lot of cool features...

Also-- what about memory? The mp3s can be housed on an SD card, right? If there is latency between when the call actually comes and when the ringer starts playing, how bad is it and does it really partially depend on the file size of the mp3?

A lot of questions I know-- any feedback would be appreciated.
    I use Ringo Pro and I have not had any problems with it. The setup is really easy to use and their is no lag time one the phone starts ringing eventhough the songs are on SD card
    I used to have a ton of issues with Lightwav in the 3.X days but since 5.X I have had maybe 2 resets in over a few months. In my opinion if you tried 3.x and hated it for crashing then give 5.x a try.
    I've used both, and I've given up with Lightwav and went with Ringo Pro. Lightwav is a cool little program...when it works. It crashed my 650 mercilessly. Even more annoying than crashing when you're trying to assign a ringer is when it crashes when the phone rings when a call comes in. You can only tolerate that a couple of times. It actually seemed more stable on my 600.

Ringo Pro works much better. The interface is simpler, and you can easily assign SD-based ringtones with no lag. I'd recommend it.

CallFilter is supposed to be the best, but there's no 650-compatible version yet. It's been "in development" for months, and probably won't see the light of day until the 700 comes out.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    I've used both, and I've given up with Lightwav and went with Ringo Pro. Lightwav is a cool little program...when it works. It crashed my 650 mercilessly. Even more annoying than crashing when you're trying to assign a ringer is when it crashes when the phone rings when a call comes in. You can only tolerate that a couple of times. It actually seemed more stable on my 600.

Ringo Pro works much better. The interface is simpler, and you can easily assign SD-based ringtones with no lag. I'd recommend it.

CallFilter is supposed to be the best, but there's no 650-compatible version yet. It's been "in development" for months, and probably won't see the light of day until the 700 comes out.
    I agree with everything you said. LW is big on "wow" factor, but was even bigger on the "sonofa*****!" factor for me. Ringo 4.35 has worked well.

And Call Filter was great on the 600.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Anyone use Ringo in conjunction with Pocket Tunes, or does most everyone just get the all in one Ringo Pro (that seems like a better bet to me even if I already have pocket tunes).
    <--- pTunes 3.0.9

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    with ringo can you assing ringers to each contact or just the catagory the contact are in???
    Quote Originally Posted by loki007420
    with ringo can you assing ringers to each contact or just the catagory the contact are in???
    Either.

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    How long have you been a Ringo user? How often do they add features? I'd love it if eventually you could assign ringers to alarms and voicemail notifications...
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    LW is big on "wow" factor, but was even bigger on the "sonofa*****!" factor for me.
    You couldn't sum up my LW experience on the 650 better than that. Nothing is more annoying than seeing the LCD light up for a second as the call came in, hearing a bit of the ringer, then FLASH, black screen.

From what I've read on most of these Ringo vs LW threads, LW just isn't (or at least wasn't) ready for the 650. I wanted to like it, but it was about the most frustrating program I installed.

This is opposed to CallFilter, which will work great on the 650 when it's finally released. Too bad everyone will have moved onto the 700 by then.

As far as the Ringo/PTunes question, I have PTunes, but I use Ringo Pro. That may have been part of LW's problem, using PTunes to actually play it's ringers. Ringo Pro works great by itself.
    I'm back!
    I use Ringo Pro even though I have pocket tunes because I like the idea of not having to call another app. I run Ringo Pro 4.37 and bascially have no problems (only 2 minor exceptions).
    I really like the area code database in LW that shows the city that the caller is in, but it does have a few bugs. Ringo Pro works really well for assigning ringers, but it doesn't do any other cool functions.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Ok I've gotten Ringo Pro to crash my phone a couple times already (when SMS messages arrive) in one night. Any tricks I should know about? Does it help to have smaller mp3 files? Maybe it doesn't like my VBR mp3s? (it only crashes sometimes, not every time).