Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can you tell me what the icons on the phone screen are? Specifically next to the time there is a 1x (data network avail?) Then there is what looks like Crosshairs with close parenthesis geting bigger like a sound wave(?) then a VP (?) this is followed by the date. I looked in the manual and did not see this info.

thanks
    Step 1. MANUAL!

Step 2. forum SEARCH Function!

Knowledge of these two, shall reap large rewards in your travels down Treo Lane...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3.    #3  
    Well as I said I looked in the manual and did not find them, searched the form for phone icons to no avail. thanks
    Moderators!?! Moderators!?! Insertion has taken over Dutch's account. Do something!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sstiger5
    Well as I said I looked in the manual and did not find them, searched the form for phone icons to no avail. thanks
    Sorry, I'm not sure exactly which icon you're speaking of. The crosshairs usually represent GPS enabled for the phone (always enabled for 911 where available.)

I'm not sure what the VP is at all.

Obviously Insertion knows, but isn't telling
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Step 1. MANUAL!

Step 2. forum SEARCH Function!

Knowledge of these two, shall reap large rewards in your travels down Treo Lane...

Repeatedly asked questions can be annoying, but this is a new member and it's nice to show sensitivity. Perhaps instead of simply saying search and read manual (especially when the member mentioned doing such), you can include the above along with the requested info. This way you brought up the ever important points of searching and reading the manual, while at the same time being helpful to the member.

I believe this to be in the general spirit of this board. Otherwise, the FAQ (and this site) would only be about new problems/fixes, and the repeated use of the phrase, "read the manual."

Wouldn't you prefer a warning instead of simply being banned? It's the same philosophy.

Of course if you are not so inclined to be helpful to the member, you can simply choose not to respond as well
    Fine.

The crosshairs are your GPS locator (enabled/disabled)

VP is Voice Privacy icon.

It can be turned on/off in phone preferences, enable Voice Privacy.

I don't know who your carrier is, but these should be in the manual.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribalenvy
    Repeatedly asked questions can be annoying, but this is a new member and it's nice to show sensitivity. Perhaps instead of simply saying search and read manual (especially when the member mentioned doing such), you can include the above along with the requested info. This way you brought up the ever important points of searching and reading the manual, while at the same time being helpful to the member.

I believe this to be in the general spirit of this board. Otherwise, the FAQ (and this site) would only be about new problems/fixes, and the repeated use of the phrase, "read the manual."

Wouldn't you prefer a warning instead of simply being banned? It's the same philosophy.

Of course if you are not so inclined to be helpful to the member, you can simply choose not to respond as well
    You know, I have to disagree. When I first came to TC, I had many of these "newbie" questions, but I attempted a few searches. Didn't really use it whole-heartedly at first, and got the same response on a thread or two when I didn't search very well. Did I cry and never come back? No. Those reactions are what prompted me to search harder and figure out how USE the search feature. If you coddle all the new people asking the SAME questions over and over, no one will search anymore. They'll just post the exact same questions to be answered by those nice people that enjoy repetitiveness.

Granted, I generally try and answer the questions of the newer users now, as well as asking them to use the search, but either way, the amount of questions that are continually repeated are ridiculous.
    --> Me fail english? That's unpossible!! <--
    I understand how you feel as well, dcsipe. Why not let a question go unanswered and scroll right off the screen? No one has to reply.

Honestly I didn't check the manual to answer this question. You can't search a two letter string like VP on TC to pony up the answer either.

I guess I just prefer the please search/manual response along with an answer. It seems to me a nicer way to ease a member into the routine. Now if that member has been here a while and continues ...that's a different story.

I understand the frustration though. There are many many threads here with far more viewings than the "read this before posting" thread can ever dream of having. That's sad, but even some long time members here haven't bothered to read it -you have tho, right?

Thanks also to Insertion who stepped forward and helped his fellow Treo user. I always knew those jeep driving Ranger types could be trusted in a pinch
    Honestly I didn't check the manual to answer this question. You can't search a two letter string like VP on TC to pony up the answer either.
    Just an FYI Tribal, in doing a search for two letter strings, use a wildcard, (as in VP*)
    Thanks also to Insertion who stepped forward and helped his fellow Treo user. I always knew those jeep driving Ranger types could be trusted in a pinch
    As we like to say, Rangers Lead The Way!

11.    #11  
    Thanks for the reply, insertion. I did use the search and did read the manual. I understand that repeat questions are a hinderance and tried to avoid asking one. I am on the line with verizon right now asking the same questions. I ll let you know what i find out. In the mean time I went and searched again and still came up empty. Are you sure this question is out there or are you just assuming everyone is an *** who asks without research?? Im sure its posible I didnt search the right phrase but isnt the point to leverage others knowledge? Not Spend hours fingering the search engine? So far VZW has pulled in at least three people trying to answer my question. They confirmed what insertion stated after about 5 mins of research. The crosshairs and the ))) go together to show the GPS working. Thanks After all and sorry for the trouble.
    True, you can always let a question go unanswered and scroll of the screen. Sometimes a little "tough love" works on most people though. I wondered at first why everyone was so anal about stuff, and now I understand.

Regardless, newbie got his question answered and a little "tough love" so all is well.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcsipe
    True, you can always let a question go unanswered and scroll of the screen. Sometimes a little "tough love" works on most people though. I wondered at first why everyone was so anal about stuff, and now I understand.

Regardless, newbie got his question answered and a little "tough love" so all is well.
    See, you get it!

btw, I spent time in Columbia, SC about 20 years ago. Ft. Jackson to be exact.

Just an FYI Tribal, in doing a search for two letter strings, use a wildcard, (as in VP*)
    As we like to say, Rangers Lead The Way!
    You can of course do a wildcard search, but the problem in this case is that you'll bring up searches on VPN -which is very common. Still a good tactic, for most terms tho.

Note: The above is exactly what I tried to do so I could provide links ...I gave up sifting through all the threads (so many were generally titled you couldn't tell if they were about virtual private networks or voice privacy -but that's another rant ) I gave up as I just didn't have the burning desire to know, and it would take longer than actually answering the question.
    See, you get it!

btw, I spent time in Columbia, SC about 20 years ago. Ft. Jackson to be exact.
    Ahh, good ol Ft. Jackson. 20 years ago though? Your picture in your avatar really doesn't show your age

Couple of my classmates from the Citadel finished Ranger school sometime last year. Hooah to all you guys that get through that.
    Ahh, good ol Ft. Jackson. 20 years ago though? Your picture in your avatar really doesn't show your age
    Are you hittin' on me??
    Couple of my classmates from the Citadel finished Ranger school sometime last year. Hooah to all you guys that get through that.
    Thank you.

Thanks for the reply, insertion. I did use the search and did read the manual. I understand that repeat questions are a hinderance and tried to avoid asking one. I am on the line with verizon right now asking the same questions. I ll let you know what i find out. In the mean time I went and searched again and still came up empty. Are you sure this question is out there or are you just assuming everyone is an *** who asks without research?? Im sure its posible I didnt search the right phrase but isnt the point to leverage others knowledge? Not Spend hours fingering the search engine? So far VZW has pulled in at least three people trying to answer my question. They confirmed what insertion stated after about 5 mins of research. The crosshairs and the ))) go together to show the GPS working. Thanks After all and sorry for the trouble.
    I turn GPS off on all phones right away for the rumored battery life savings. 911 will still be able to find you at any rate.

Did you use the manual on the provided disc, or the flimsy little getting started paper manual provided? The one on disc is far more comprehensive.
  18.    #18  
    I was looking through the 175 page treo user manual the same one that VZW support checked first and couldnt find the answer.
    Thanks for the reply, insertion. I did use the search and did read the manual.
    Not to keep kicking on you sstiger5, but if you have VZW, and you recieved the Treo 600 User Manual, a quick lookup in the index at the back for "VP icon" directs you to page 48. This would've asnwered your question. And this is why I made my original statement.

20.    #20  
    Cool Thanks, I concede to your search abilities, I was looking fo the crosshairs and did not think that the VP was related and I couldnt find croshairs in the index.) thanks again
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast