Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What a scare!! I go to run an application and the card is missing!! I use a Vaja T-65 on my belt, which leaves the SD card exposed to the elements (and my belly).

My life (since last evening, when I was listening to MP3's) flashes before my eyes. I keep an (encrypted) XLS file with my passwords on that card... but I doubt that encryption will deter any knowledgable hacker.

Anyway, I find the card wedged between the seats of my car-poll car!

Bottom line: The SD card slot should have a cover. That will also protect it from rain and debris.

I need to lose some weight and my love-handles..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I use eWallet and keep my wallet file encrypted in RAM. Take a look at mSafe. It wont solve the SD card problem, but if you lose your Treo or its stolen, you can send it an SMS message with a password that will wipe the RAM AND the SD card. Pretty cool.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  3.    #3  
    Can eWallet import data (account name, password, web addresses) from an Excel or comma delimited file?

My password file has 150 entries!!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  4. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Whoa, great find! Q: Can you backup your card during hotsync? Or do u just keep a copy of the enire card on your PC? I'm wondering because I have a 1 GB myself and I would absolutely just die if I lost it and had no backup.
    I just keep a dup on my PC
  6. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    then I'd better keep a dup too !
    I use palmpuke as an added level of protection. Useless if your sound is off, but really helpful if its on:

http://www.chronologic.se/Palm/palmpuke.html
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Can eWallet import data (account name, password, web addresses) from an Excel or comma delimited file?

My password file has 150 entries!!
    You would need to download the Card Importer Tool, and then follow the Excel directions on that page.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by petesamprs
    I use palmpuke as an added level of protection. Useless if your sound is off, but really helpful if its on:

http://www.chronologic.se/Palm/palmpuke.html
    I looked at palmpuke but decided against it at that time.

It took too much RAM on the Treo.

Maybe after the upcoming firmware update I'll have enough RAM to spare ....
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    My life (since last evening, when I was listening to MP3's) flashes before my eyes. I keep an (encrypted) XLS file with my passwords on that card... but I doubt that encryption will deter any knowledgable hacker.
    I lost a Palm at an outdoor concert last year. Fortunately, most of my sensitive data was on cryptopad. I am sure a good hacker could break but I try to reassure myself that the chance of it falling into the hands of a "good" hacker who actually *wants* my stuff is pretty low.... at least I hope

One of the problems is with SD card backup. If the average person gets your palm they will probably just wipe the main memory and use as their own or sell. Data on the SD card is more likely to hang around IMO. If I use backup buddy to backup files to SD card then I am putting sensitive and non sensitive data on the SD. Some have an encryption feature but then you cannot set to auto-backup at 1am every night.

mSafe seems like a good option for the treo as long as you can get to another phone and send an SMS before they wipe your RAM memory.
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotoru
    mSafe seems like a good option for the treo as long as you can get to another phone and send an SMS before they wipe your RAM memory.
    Build it into a custom ROM.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    How do you do that? I am worried about losing either the Treo or the SD card in any way.

Any help is appreciated.
    PalmPuke is only 100kb and CardKeeper is like only 8k.....for some reason tho, the latter didn't work on my Treo....I have seen others using it w/ no problams tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by greathome
    How do you do that?
    It's discussed in a good number of threads here. A search for "custom rom" or "shadowmite rom" would be a good place to start.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I dont think that will work, as mSafe needs to save the password somewhere, and it aint gonna be in ROM. On a hard reset mSafe may still be in ROM, but with no password or configuration info, which makes it useless.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    oooh... now that is a *great* idea. Boy, wonder if could talk shadowmite into that one..hehe. Wonder how the registration would work... seems like you would have to include the ?registration file for it to recognize that you have registered after a hard reset. Of course if they did a hard reset you would only have to worry about data on the SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    I dont think that will work, as mSafe needs to save the password somewhere, and it aint gonna be in ROM. On a hard reset mSafe may still be in ROM, but with no password or configuration info, which makes it useless.
    Yep, of course I guess you could ask why you are putting in ROM. If you put it there to have it remain after Hard Reset then could be a problem. But, if you figure it could serve to prevent or at least delay the deletion of msafe to give you more time to figure out your palm is lost and send an SMS then it might help.

I guess it would depend on what the average person who finds/steals a Treo would do with it first? Probably try and take to pawn shop if no plans to return or use it themselves.
    I looked at palmpuke but decided against it at that time.

It took too much RAM on the Treo.

Maybe after the upcoming firmware update I'll have enough RAM to spare ....
    CardKeeper works well, takes little RAM, and also works on vibrate mode. I also use Windows XP to back up my SD card...
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    CardKeeper works well, takes little RAM, and also works on vibrate mode. I also use Windows XP to back up my SD card...
    Hmmm.. had not seen that one.. found it here
    http://www.byteswapped.com/palm/
    Vibrate would be nice. How loud can you set the warning sound?

Nice thing about PalmPuke is the obnoxious loud sound you can set when the card is removed. I have mine set for a boat foghorn that I heard one in Chucky Cheeses when card accidentally ejected. Its a good thing that place sells beer or would be difficult to tolerate.
    --
  20.    #20  
    What do you think of RemoteLock?

http://palmsource.palmgear.com/index...&NewSoftware=4

It's available for free to those who register for TreoAlarm ($13). It will activate the password lock that's built into the Treo with an appropriate SMS.

How hard (do you think) is it to break the built-in security on the Treo?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast