Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. WSW
    Last week I heard an NPR feature about a device which can pick up and acquire data from every Bluetooth device active within a mile. Is anyone working on encryption? I haven't activated BT on my locked Cingular Treo 650 & plan to wait til things are more secure.
    The story you heard: 'Rifle' Sniffs Out Vulnerability in Bluetooth Devices

If you don't have have discoverable mode set "Discoverable = No" you have nothing to worry about. They won't be able to see your Treo.

The guy in the interview kind of "mixed up" his words on that a bit, but basically keep discovery mode set to off and you should be cool.

Good thing is that he's one of the "good guys". Doing it in an effort to help instead of harm.
    Yeah, what Darnell said, just have discovery off, and it should be fine
    You make me laugh guys! What terrible coul happen to you with discoverable on ?
    Ciao

Ettore
    HP warned of BT sniffing, and possible hijacking of phones and your data. Maybe that's part of what this is?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WSW
    Last week I heard an NPR feature about a device which can pick up and acquire data from every Bluetooth device active within a mile. Is anyone working on encryption? I haven't activated BT on my locked Cingular Treo 650 & plan to wait til things are more secure.
    my life must be way too boring ....

what's everyone doin gthat is soooooo interesting that someone wants to eavesdrop of grab your data ? Are there a lot of CIA agents on this board ??

My wife does debt collection - anyone who thinks their private data is private is only kidding themselves
    How about THEIR BUSINESS? You may not be too upset if someone managed to read your contact list, what your appointments are for and who with, get your passwords, steal your identity, etc. etc. etc.; but others may be!! Same as with your PC, protect yourself!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I agree this is a security issue to be taken seriously. Perhaps if you just have a plain bluetooth enabled cell phone theft of your friends/family/business telephone numbers wouldn't be so terrible, however, with the PDA phones where schedules, passwords, account numbers, addresses, etc are stored, the implications are tremendous. to compare the data that one can grab as a collection agent to this is ridiculous
    I just use one of these:

http://www.bargainpda.com/assets/441.jpg

PDA Prophylactic
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Didn't hear the NPR report, but read about it a couple months ago - for those interested, here is the original article on "How to Build a Bluetooth Rifle". The picture of that wireless canon is worth a click:

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article106.php

Very interesting article - the gun "found" dozens of bluetooth devices in a dowtown LA office building over a half-mile away. The article also has a response from the Bluetooth SIG.
    What's strange ?

perhaps we in Europe are far ahead in mobile devices, but if you walk in the city center here in Rome, or even more in any cinema downtown you'll find a lot of bluetooth devices on.

We even use this feature to exchange messages and pics with people you don't know but that are seated near you (e.g. in train).

Last night in a restaurant I've found a device named "hot panties"
    Ciao

Ettore
    They call that Bluejacking

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    They call that Bluejacking
    Yeah I know, There is also a fine small program for palm os "Bluejack"
    Ciao

Ettore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettore
    Yeah I know, There is also a fine small program for palm os "Bluejack"
    You mean this one?
    Attached Files Attached Files

btw, the above file is from Stef Software and is freely available, lest someone thinks i'm posting w4r3z.

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    You mean this one?
    Yes quite that one
    Ciao

Ettore
    The article says that you should get a virus program for PDA smartphones does anyone know of a good one?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    So far, all of the BT vulnerabilities have been for Symbian phones. There are no known viruses for PalmOS devices, though both Symantec and McAfee are willing to sell you an AV program for Palm devices.
    1. I don't get bluejacking. Don't you need to manually enter a PIN on your device to allow access to it? So, it is quite easy to "see" BT devices, but you still can't access them, no?

2. In terms of the security risks, I would have to agree it is quite low. I mean what can they get off your PDA? Names? Addresses? Phone numbers? Those are all easily gotten in a thousand other ways. My schedule? Unless you are looking to asassinate me and want to know where I will be at what time, then I don't see why anyone would care. I guess some others may have some sensitive data on their PDAs, but bottom line your Treo is still more secure than almost all computers (where you hotsync all your data daily).
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    How about THEIR BUSINESS? You may not be too upset if someone managed to read your contact list, what your appointments are for and who with, get your passwords, steal your identity, etc. etc. etc.; but others may be!! Same as with your PC, protect yourself!
    again, with all due respect, anyone who thinks their private info is private is just kidding themselves. I could get your ss#, current and previous address, family memeber info, etc in about 5 minutes. this is the reality of a data driven society.

as far as contact list - they can't do what I do....

appointments - boring....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast