Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettore
    You're wrong! This is like people with internet connection switched off when they don't use it!
    It's meaningless!
    what reason would you have to keep discovery on, other than to allow unsolicited interaction - am I missing something ?

...I wish I had time for unsolicited contact....
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Ettore - For you and your friends in Italy having discovery on might be a beautiful thing. I hope you enjoy it.

That does not mean that everyone enjoys having someone they don't know sending them pics and such. On this side of the globe people send others meaningless pics and it waste time. Not all of us find it enjoyable. If I want to send a friend a message I can use SMS or an e-mail. No need to use an open bluetooth discovery setting.

Insertion - PRICELESS !
    yes, sure, but you pay for sms and e-mail, bluetooth instead it's free and this is the only way to get people you don't already know.
    Ciao

Ettore
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    what reason would you have to keep discovery on, other than to allow unsolicited interaction - am I missing something ?

...I wish I had time for unsolicited contact....
    So I suppose you never knew anyone on a chat ?
    Ciao

Ettore
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    call me old-fashioned, but to use BT you need to be within what - 30 feet ? I usually just go over and say hello......

I do, however, love to chat with my wife and daughters when I am away from home (office or out of town) but BT wouldn't help there.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    ps. now you know why we Americans are so stressed out all the time
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    How did you get that dead horse smilie, Insertion?
    It's an off site link. Did I just score some brownie points???
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I keep my T650 discoverable, and last I was in the airport and noticed that my TREO asked if I wanted to save a file that was received via BT. I was courious about it, bu tI declined. Since then, I have disabled Discoverable.
    Randy
    perhaps we in Europe are far ahead in mobile devices, but if you walk in the city center here in Rome, or even more in any cinema downtown you'll find a lot of bluetooth devices on.
    Grrrrr.....this is off topic, but I have to comment on this (and I'll probably get flamed for it). It wreaks of arrogance. Ettore, I'm sorry, but I'm glad you're so far ahead in mobile devices. Next time your nose isn't pointed sky-high, look over to Asia. THEY are far ahead in wireless technology. Europe, on the other hand, is using a technology they refuse to abandon and try to push on other countries; a technology that's at the end of it's line (look what technology UMTS and HSDPA are based on).

Back on topic. I believe that if someone wanted to do harm with bluejack/snarfing/whatever you want to call it, they could. Say for instance a hacker is able to get to your schedule. You are meeting a very, very important client within a few hours. Your scheduler spells out the location of the meeting since you are such an organized fellow. You meet your client, but someone else is waiting within a mile away. Your extremely important client, a CFO you've got to know from years of business with his organization, also happens to have a Treo 650. The hacker not only steals all of your information off the phone, but he is able to get a wealth of highly sensitive, proprietary information from your client. BAD NEWS.
    ^ Right on MisterFuhrman!

yes, sure, but you pay for sms and e-mail, bluetooth instead it's free and this is the only way to get people you don't already know.
    I refer you to the statement below from pabo:

call me old-fashioned, but to use BT you need to be within what - 30 feet ? I usually just go over and say hello......
    Its not old fashioned at all. Just some of us have the self confidence to actually walk over and meet people in person!

And we don't wish to be bothered by some kid with low self esteem that likes sending pics of his dog to people he does not know.

I'm paying to surf too and e-mail plus SMS comes included.
    Last edited by darnell; 04/29/2005 at 11:59 AM.
    I just downloaded the BlueJacker app. Haven't tried it yet. I figure that these days, people are always talking on their cell phone that it's a great (high-tech) way to meet people seeing as it is they are currently unapproachable. (BT is a great conversation starter as well.) Remember that Palm commercial a few years back where that couple meets cute and they beam each other their contact info?
    Can Bluejacker be used as a file extension of Bluetooth or is it really a stand-alone app? (Haven't tried it yet.)
    ###
    not to beat a dead horse, but all you need is a name OR an address OR a phone number. Use the newest version of DA on the Treo and you can enter an address and get "neighbors" - names and phone numbers of folks on the block.
    Go for it...

303-786-3154

pm me when you've got some results...
    This made me laugh when I read it in the linked article. So I did a little editing to make my point and see the funny side of a kid that is saying what every criminal says when they get caught holding the bag...
    From article:
    Hering, cofounder of a wireless security think tank called Flexilis, says he uses the "rifle" only to determine security vulnerabilities, not to actually hack wireless devices to obtain personal information.
    "Whenever we're working on these tests, we never access anyone's data," he tells Michele Norris. "We're simply assessing the vulnerabilities and what's possible."
    Edited version:
    Scarface, cofounder of a Mafia security think tank called Intrusion, says he uses the "alarm bypass, glass cutter and lock pick" only to determine security vulnerabilities, not to actually break into businesses and obtain valuable property.
    "Whenever we're working on these tests, we never steal anything," he told judge and jury in the court room at his trial. "We're simply assessing the vulnerabilities and what's possible."
    One thing that those who are concerned about security, but need to use BT. Make sure that you don't name your device with your last name. Make it something generic, like "myphone", or "bob". I wouldn't name it something that gives away that it is a pda either like "mytreo" etc.

What is the security really like with BT? The code key (which is almost always 0000 by default on accessories) is supposed to prevent an unathorized pairing, and you should get a popup to accept any files (this even happens with IR), so is there a flaw that can allow a BT device (Treo in this case) to accept a file, or respond with data?

BTW, the article may answer this, but I can't open the link from the office for some reason. Can't guess why NPR would be blocked!
    Palm Pro -> PIII Upgrade Card -> Palm Vx w/ Minstrel-Omnisky -> Tungsten | T -> Treo 650 -> Centro
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123