Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finkkatz
    ...to compare the data that one can grab as a collection agent to this is ridiculous
    again, with all due respect, you just have no clue what is available.

what do I care about your Paypal or ebay password when I can get your ss#, last 3 addresses and employment history for starters (in less than 5 minutes).

I'm curious, what passwrod do you carry on your treo that has the same potential to do that kind of damage ?
    But, I bet you can't locate a dictionary.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    now, now...

passwrod are actually a new more stringent means of securing your data...
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    passwrod are actually a new more stringent means of securing your data...
    Kinda like "The Club" for your Treo.
    pabo - If you don't care about securing your Treo then your spending time on this thread is meaningless.

As far a Bluejacking, I keep discovery off. I don't care to see anyone else's pics that I don't know . Not to mention leaving yourself open could result in other things being viewed that you might not want looked at.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    didn't say that...

I keep discovery off as well - not sure why you would keep it on in the first place. This is like folks with unsecured wireless routers - there is a fairly simple way to thwart 99% of the mischevious folks. It is good to know these folks are out there, it is good to know that turning discovery off will, in most cases, keep me protected - thanks for the info.

My point was that most people still believe their "private" data is private when it is not...

My point was that most people still believe their "private" data is private when it is not...
    You made that point in your first post. And it is a point we all see on TV News shows every day .

Now we here at talking about securing Treos. Not securing our house or our credit information .
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    The story you heard: 'Rifle' Sniffs Out Vulnerability in Bluetooth Devices

If you don't have have discoverable mode set "Discoverable = No" you have nothing to worry about. They won't be able to see your Treo.

The guy in the interview kind of "mixed up" his words on that a bit, but basically keep discovery mode set to off and you should be cool.

Good thing is that he's one of the "good guys". Doing it in an effort to help instead of harm.
    Also don't worry, the Treo doesn't pair with much of anything anyway so the chances of it being hihjacked are slim and none
    The story you heard: 'Rifle' Sniffs Out Vulnerability in Bluetooth Devices

If you don't have have discoverable mode set "Discoverable = No" you have nothing to worry about. They won't be able to see your Treo.

The guy in the interview kind of "mixed up" his words on that a bit, but basically keep discovery mode set to off and you should be cool.

Good thing is that he's one of the "good guys". Doing it in an effort to help instead of harm.
    Fascinating, and ironic.

Fascinating in that a college kid that can hack into your bluetooth device from over a statute mile away.

Ironic that PalmOne cannot manage to simply support most BT headsets and voice dialing.

All together now.... duuuuuhhh.
    Last edited by docmaster; 04/28/2005 at 05:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettore
    You make me laugh guys! What terrible coul happen to you with discoverable on ?
    Listen to the sound byte, then ask again, so we may unleash a session of verbal kickboxing on your buttocks... medieval style.
    Maybe some people don't keep "valuable" info on the ir Treos (valuable to a bluejacker, that is). Or maybe you're lucky, and the bluejacker who gets to peek at your goodies (say work passwords, and server i.p.s) doesn't know what to do with them anyway. But maybe he does. For Ettore, who considers everything in the public domain (and he's right about the volumes of data available to the average troller), I have to ask this: if it's so hopeless to try to protect anything, why does my company invest so much in wep security, passwords, vpns, etc? The answer is: we want to -try- to protect our proprietary info. The same is true for many of us participating in this thread. Maybe someone out here considers his girlfriend's phone number special and private. That fact that you can look it up in the phone book doesn't change how he feels about it, nor the fact the -he- doesn't want to be the one who gave it to you. So lighten up.
    again, with all due respect, you just have no clue what is available.

what do I care about your Paypal or ebay password when I can get your ss#, last 3 addresses and employment history for starters (in less than 5 minutes).

I'm curious, what passwrod do you carry on your treo that has the same potential to do that kind of damage ?
    And in order to get that, you must have a name, address and/or phone number to start, which can be found many times on PDAs. Not only the owner of the PDA, but all the contacts can have their identities stolen or privacy compromised in another way, if someone manages to get in.

Sure, as of now it's only IF they get in. But I have no doubt that the hackers will figure out a way to hijack these devices like they did the PC. Looks like they're working on it.

About passwords, is it true that Ameritrade accounts and similar accounts can be accessed on a PDA if connected to the internet? If so, that's one password that could cause potential damage I would think.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by catlook
    Maybe some people don't keep "valuable" info on the ir Treos (valuable to a bluejacker, that is). Or maybe you're lucky, and the bluejacker who gets to peek at your goodies (say work passwords, and server i.p.s) doesn't know what to do with them anyway. But maybe he does. For Ettore, who considers everything in the public domain (and he's right about the volumes of data available to the average troller), I have to ask this: if it's so hopeless to try to protect anything, why does my company invest so much in wep security, passwords, vpns, etc? The answer is: we want to -try- to protect our proprietary info. The same is true for many of us participating in this thread. Maybe someone out here considers his girlfriend's phone number special and private. That fact that you can look it up in the phone book doesn't change how he feels about it, nor the fact the -he- doesn't want to be the one who gave it to you. So lighten up.
    Those are good points! Thanks for reminding us about corporate spies!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    ...Now we here at talking about securing Treos. Not securing our house or our credit information .
    sorry I do not meet your standards for participation. I will try to do better in the future... relax a little.

I am not talking about securing credit information, I was merely using the reference as an example. If you want to secure your Treo from the vast majority of potential intrusions, or anything for that matter, you typically need only take some of the simplest steps.

I thought the point of htis thread was made early on - turn discovery off. The biggest area of security failure is to leave default passwords or settings in place. Good thread, good point.
    Last edited by pabo; 04/28/2005 at 07:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    And in order to get that, you must have a name, address and/or phone number to start...
    not to beat a dead horse, but all you need is a name OR an address OR a phone number. Use the newest version of DA on the Treo and you can enter an address and get "neighbors" - names and phone numbers of folks on the block.
    not to beat a dead horse, but all you need is a name OR an address OR a phone number. Use the newest version of DA on the Treo and you can enter an address and get "neighbors" - names and phone numbers of folks on the block.
    http://forums.the-ozone.net/pictures...dead-horse.gif
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    didn't say that...

I keep discovery off as well - not sure why you would keep it on in the first place. This is like folks with unsecured wireless routers - there is a fairly simple way to thwart 99% of the mischevious folks. It is good to know these folks are out there, it is good to know that turning discovery off will, in most cases, keep me protected - thanks for the info.

You're wrong! This is like people with internet connection switched off when they don't use it!
    It's meaningless!
    Ciao

Ettore
    Ettore - For you and your friends in Italy having discovery on might be a beautiful thing. I hope you enjoy it.

That does not mean that everyone enjoys having someone they don't know sending them pics and such. On this side of the globe people send others meaningless pics and it waste time. Not all of us find it enjoyable. If I want to send a friend a message I can use SMS or an e-mail. No need to use an open bluetooth discovery setting.

Insertion - PRICELESS !
    How did you get that dead horse smilie, Insertion?

Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    very nice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast