Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    How long does the Treo 650 last when watching videos on it? Has anyone done any formal testing or experimenting with both different playback software, codecs, etc. with regards to battery life?

I guess I'm curious what users are encoding their movies at and then how long the battery lasts watching movies on their 650 using their software. I've got some flying coming up next week and I'm wondering what I can get away with before the battery dies
    I went to Washington DC about a month ago and watched 2 full movies during the flights. Once we landed, I returned 3 or 4 emails, checked voicemail and returned two calls. After that the battery showed 67%.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Amazing. I should have no problem, it sounds like Thanks for the feedback.
    I work 3rd shift security posting from work right now. Treo 650 last me all night. I usually watch 4 tv shows or 2 movies and surf the rest of the night lowest battery has gotten was 30 percent I use smartmovie for converting video to the palm. The core media player is awesome. I encode at 256 video bitrate with mono sound since I use the internal speaker. smart movie auto resizes and crops.
    Fusion where do you get the TV shows from?
    Quote Originally Posted by cturek
    Fusion where do you get the TV shows from?
    There are tons of bittorrent sites that have tv show torrents. I get most of mine through the usenet.
    BT, can you explain that in lymen's terms??
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    I went to Washington DC about a month ago and watched 2 full movies during the flights. Once we landed, I returned 3 or 4 emails, checked voicemail and returned two calls. After that the battery showed 67%.
    Wow, that is amazing. Considering that talk time on these suckers is 4-5 hours, and playing video has to be just as taxing on the battery as the radio, that is truly amazing. Perhaps the radio function drains a lot more than movie playing?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo
    How long does it take to encode a DVD for viewing on the Treo? Is it the same time as the movie itself?
    Depends on your system. I can rip a DVD with DVD Decrypter and encode it to MP4 with Nero Recode in less than an hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Wow, that is amazing. Considering that talk time on these suckers is 4-5 hours, and playing video has to be just as taxing on the battery as the radio, that is truly amazing. Perhaps the radio function drains a lot more than movie playing?
    I've had the same experience with movies. They don't take that much out of the battery. I find that talking and/or streaming audio are a greater drain on the battery than playing movies or games, etc.
    Can anyone report back on file size with the different video formats like mp4, divx, avi etc...I heard there was .ogm (ogg video files)

i like to use .ogg (ogg vorbis) files for songs, as its 1/3 of the size of an mp3 file, sounds basically identical... :shortcut:
    do you rip to .iso file aldaman?
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater

From talking with some of my colleagues, I have to conclude that the radio drains the battery considerably compared to watching movies or listening to mp3's. They have also had 4-6 hours of watching video and/or listening to mp3 and had not hardly touched the battery. One person I spoke with yesterday said he had just listened to mp3's for nearly 6 hours and had 70% battery left.

Of course all of this is done while the radio is turned off. I also run kblightsoff and have bluetooth off while watching movies on flights.
    newbie question: how do I do this?
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StylinAR
    do you rip to .iso file aldaman?
    The Multimedia forum here has lots of tips and discussion regarding encoding methods and software.
    I've been watching stuff off of btefnet.net, and since the source material is at hires (640x380x30fps) TCPMP tends to eat up the battery rather quickly. After one daily show episode (22 minutes), and 16 minutes of House; I was at 68%.
    Quote Originally Posted by woolstar
    I've been watching stuff off of btefnet.net, and since the source material is at hires (640x380x30fps) TCPMP tends to eat up the battery rather quickly. After one daily show episode (22 minutes), and 16 minutes of House; I was at 68%.

Is your radio still on? I don't see the res making that much, if any, difference. The screen can only be so bright and it is only 320X320. I may be completely wrong but anything over the 320 would be ignored. I think the radio, keyboard light, and bluetooth would be a bigger factor.
    The battery is nice on this thing.
    I get all my shows from Emule plus. Use Emule plus because you can unshare partial downloads you cant with any other version as far as I know. This sight has emule links for tv shows. http://www.the-realworld.de/ You have to let emule run for like a week to build up upload credit then it works great. I only have basic cable and never use it. I use smartmovie encoder to make files smaller and at the proper resolution for the treo 650. it usally encodes 320x240 at 256bit rate with mono sound comes out to 250mb for a movie and 130 for a tv show. Really good quality and 30fps using TCMP(The Core Media Player). I turn the radio off when watching content to save battery. Ive been thinking about gettting beyond tv and a tv tuner card and recording stuff to watch at work. Beyond tv has an auto reencode feture to shrink files for portable media players.