Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I assumed that meant that if you have that option checked, that your phone number would be blocked to the recepient. And, in fact, that is what happens.

This is also a network stored value and you can use the Get Network Status to see how it's set.

So, why is it that if my phone resets, the status is changed on the network. After a reset, using Get Network Status, shows that my phone number is NOT blocked.

Every couple of days my daughter says, "your number is showing up again". Is there some way to make this permanent, so I don't have to keep setting this?
    I know what you mean. In my experience if I select the 'block caller ID option' it will block the very next call I make only. After that it seems to reset back to unblocked.

What I think is happening is that your cell service provider (mine is Cingular) catches the signal of the blocked caller ID selection you made on your phone. It then reverses it and makes your caller ID visible. Why do they do this? Well frankly I think it's a money issue. I know that Cingular charges a monthly fee for blocking your caller ID or a one time much larger fee. I think they want you to pay for the privilage of having your caller ID blocked so when the phone updates with the network, the provider sends back a signal to your phone to turn the caller ID block off.
    I think that the setting is reset to the network default whenever your phone re-registers with the network, such as after a reset. When I lived Down Under, Telstra Australia used to allow customers to have their default flipped to "blocked", so that after a reset, you would have to manually unblock it if required. You might call your provider's customer support and see if they offer a similar option.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    We have this option? Where can I locate this?
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Phone / Menu / Options / Call Preferences
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Eh?

I don't see that in options...

T
    It's a GSM function, probably not available on CDMA phones.
    not on cdma
    It happens on my son's phone all the time. He'll call me and I won't answer. He knows I refuse to answer any calls from a caller ID blocked phone so he turns it off and calls me back.
    My network is offering blocking outgoing callerdID, but when I choose that I won't see any callerID's from others on my phone.
    That is why there is an option in the Call Preferences to override the network settings and I think it SHOULD override it, even after a disconnect.
    At least all mobile phones I used work this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    I think that the setting is reset to the network default whenever your phone re-registers with the network, such as after a reset. When I lived Down Under, Telstra Australia used to allow customers to have their default flipped to "blocked", so that after a reset, you would have to manually unblock it if required. You might call your provider's customer support and see if they offer a similar option.
    Right on! I believe this is the case.
    On the TSTT network in Trinidad the default is to block the outgoing caller ID. After a phone reset, my ID is blocked even though the option is not checked. I have to manually block and then unblock to show my ID after every reset.n
    the treo600 had the same problem

my solution is to make a favorites button call *31#

then each time your phone resets just tap that and it'll block the outgoing caller ID until next reset

m.
    It is not a PROBLEM, it is a mistake, a BUG.
    CallerId blocking should NOT depent om the network initial settings. The phone should do as it is told: BLOCK or not BLOCK, whatever it is and NOT mind the network setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willem
    At least all mobile phones I used work this way.
    Then you've used different phones from me. Every GSM phone I've ever used (all Nokias prior to the Treo) has acted the same way as the Treo. The blocking setting is part of the GSM network, and the phone is merely reflecting what the network is telling it. If you have a gripe, it should be with the GSM standard, not the Treo. Don't shoot the messenger.
    my last nokia would block 24/7 properly. it IS a glitch in the treo
  16.    #16  
    The blocking setting is part of the GSM network, and the phone is merely reflecting what the network is telling it. If you have a gripe, it should be with the GSM standard, not the Treo. Don't shoot the messenger.
    However, if it weren't for Treo continually resetting, the check box would work properly.

If I set "block outgoing caller ID" my calls are blocked EVERY time I use the phone 24/7, regardless of the network settings. ONLY after the phone resets, does this revert back to the network settings.

The problem is, the Treo resets so often that this feature is virtually useless.

I have even asked Cingular to make it permanent and they say they have. However, it keeps reverting to unblocked.
    I'd love to see an app that unlocks incoming "blocked caller ID" phone calls!
    If you program numbers to be prefaced with *67, every outgoing call would be blocked irrespective of the network settings, no?
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Seems to me that you have to do it each time you turn the phone on.

Caller ID seems to stay blocked for any calls made during a session, but once the phone has been turned off and back on it reverts to unblocked (even tho the box stays ticked).
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    It happens on my son's phone all the time. He'll call me and I won't answer. He knows I refuse to answer any calls from a caller ID blocked phone so he turns it off and calls me back.
    Have him change the number he stored for your cell in his speed-dial -- insert *31# before the number, and his CID will be sent for that call only, overriding the block he has in place.

#31# is the same as *67 on a landline -- blocks CID for that call only.
    Alexander Burke
    Hardware hacker and all-around technogeek
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast