1.    #1  
    Agendus, LJP, Verichat, OEM contacts app, whatever... You name it, you pull up a window or a config menu and BAM - soft reset.

This thing must have soft reset at least a dozen times since I got it the other day. Some were deserved, but most weren't. Just when I think everything is cool and I have the latest, best configurations for everything, BOOM.

Is this just the nature of the beast, or what? It's getting a little worrisome. So far I'm having more crashes than my old heavily-hacked Visor Prism on a bad day (and that's saying a lot).
    GEEKTOPIC - The Geek Forum. <--Free Hentai Image Forum!
    Type ##377 (Sprint) or #*377 (GSM) in the phone and dial. That'll show you the cause of the reset.

It could be loose battary. Try putting a piece of foam or something to brace it better

Do a hard reset (you'll lose all your data and applications) to restore the unit to "factory conditions" and see if the resets continue. If they stop, add your programs one by one to track down the culprit ..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Mine started soft resetting a lot, and I had to get it replaced (it's still under warrenty). Others have had theirs replaced also.
    How did you get it replaced? Did you call Sprint or go to a store? Did you have to show them the problem to convince them?

My phone has all sorts of problems but the first time I went to the Sprint store they shrugged them off, saying..."that's normal".

Here are some of the problems:

- frequent reboot (but I don't think I can reproduce it on demand)
    - Headset microphone not working until I wiggle the plug (happens on multiple headsets)
    - Sometimes battery discharges very rapidly (1 or 2 hours) even though I'm not using the phone or any apps. I can feel the phone is hot right above the battery button when this is happening.

Thanks for any advice on convincing Sprint to give me a replacement!

-Steve
    -
  5.    #5  
    Technically, I think any defect is covered as long as you have the WARRANTY PLAN through Sprint. I got my 650 on exchange for my MM7400 when the charge port on the Sanyo failed. I stuck to my guns and pressed them on it, and got a really helpful Sprint store manager who just traded me straight across.

My only worry is that the 'preowned' 650 I got (don't know if that means refurb or what) is reset-prone. It happened again last night, no reason - and not just any app - it seems to happen at any time when I do something like tapping a button onscreen.

I really do not want to go through the hassle of trying to get my local Sprint store to give me yet ANOTHER phone after exchanging a 650 for my 7400 (quite a price difference).
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelator
    Agendus, LJP, Verichat, OEM contacts app, whatever... You name it, you pull up a window or a config menu and BAM - soft reset.
    No, no, that is a *feature* of the device. PalmOne includes the auto-soft reset ability at no extra charge
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    You may want to try the latest firmware. My Treo used to auto soft reset daily, since upgrading my unlocked GSM to 1.21, I have not had a single soft reset in almost 4 days. My friend who has a Sprint 650 had substantial improvement in stability from the 1.08 update as well, so definitely worth trying if you aren't up to returning the device for a replacement quite yet.
    This thing must have soft reset at least a dozen times since I got it the other day.
    You got all that stuff on after just one day ????

I'm an adherent of the manual's recommendations on "indoctrinating" your device. Use as phone with just contacts and other PalmDesktop apps for 3 or days to a week and make sure that you have no hardware issues. Of course install and carrier ROM updates before you start. If no resets , go on to next step.

After that install Uninstall Mananger as 1st app, then load the 3rd party apps from CD w/ no more than 1 app per hot sync. Use that for a few days.

Then prioritize your list of apps, and install 2 or 3 a day (still 1 per Hotsync) until your resets start....now you've narrowed it down to the cause of what program doesn't like your 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by sross222
    How did you get it replaced? Did you call Sprint or go to a store? Did you have to show them the problem to convince them?

My phone has all sorts of problems but the first time I went to the Sprint store they shrugged them off, saying..."that's normal".

Here are some of the problems:

- frequent reboot (but I don't think I can reproduce it on demand)
    - Headset microphone not working until I wiggle the plug (happens on multiple headsets)
    - Sometimes battery discharges very rapidly (1 or 2 hours) even though I'm not using the phone or any apps. I can feel the phone is hot right above the battery button when this is happening.

Thanks for any advice on convincing Sprint to give me a replacement!

-Steve
    -
    2 & 3 are obviously hardware problems, which suggests 1 may be as well.

In regards to the resetting, mine has not reset in 2 days, and that was when I launched a freeware app that was not intended for colour devices. Before that it was at least 4 days, and that was also directly caused by a non palm v5.0 compliant freeware app. I honestly don't recal when I last had an unexplained reset. Do not accept your resetting as normal as it is not.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
  10.    #10  
    I do tend to load up a PDA right away. I want to start using all the nice apps!

Do you HAVE to put Uninstall Manager on first in order for it to properly remove other apps..?

I did put the latest firmware on this the day I got it (1.08 Sprint).
    Do you HAVE to put Uninstall Manager on first in order for it to properly remove other apps..?.
    When you put it on first, it records what got installed with the app and what the app in turn makes. When you put it on after, it's gotta go thru the links and the vendor may not have been all that good in idnetifying what those are. I imagine it looks at the developer ID and asks if you want to uninstall all the stuff with the same developer or program name. If it went in first, it don't gotta guess.....er I mean use logic and study install info to make a reasonable recommendation <grin>.