1.    #1  
    Been waiting for the Verizon '650 forever. Local guy seems in the know, and still says "Two or three months." With the new-customer discount, would probably cost no more to switch to Cingular. However, spoke with Cingular Sales Folks and am confused about service, so would appreciate knowledgeabe responses.

1. I want to use the phone as a modem for my notebook PC.

a. What data rate can I expect in SF area?
    b. Is this an extra service? If so, cost?
    c. Does this use my regular air minutes, or data minutes charged separately?
    d. Is "Edge technology" just a marketing term for EVDO?
    e. Does Cingular support EVDO? I heard Verizon will not.
    f. Saw lots of comments about no VPN ability. I occassionally need this; is there a way?

2. I have my own domain, hosted by third party, with POP3 email. I only want the Treo to get my mail when I'm not home. I assume I can just enable it when desired, and have it set to leave mail on the server?

3. Is there a charge for the picture service (take pix, send out)? If so, can I just take the picture and download when I'm home for free?

4. I use latest Outlook without Exchange. Any problem with maintaining Contacts and the Treo in sync via Bluetooth?

Really appreciate the help. Sorry I don't have a snappy name and a cool avitar?

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmike
    Been waiting for the Verizon '650 forever. Local guy seems in the know, and still says "Two or three months." With the new-customer discount, would probably cost no more to switch to Cingular. However, spoke with Cingular Sales Folks and am confused about service, so would appreciate knowledgeabe responses.

1. I want to use the phone as a modem for my notebook PC. You will have to either buy an unlocked GSM 650, or unlock the Cingular 650 to enable DUN

a. What data rate can I expect in SF area? Don't know, but here in the East, I'm averaging 150
    b. Is this an extra service? If so, cost? $39.95/mo. unlimited pda data plan
    c. Does this use my regular air minutes, or data minutes charged separately? data minutes are covered under the pda plan
    f. Saw lots of comments about no VPN ability. I occassionally need this; is there a way? No VPN on WAP, but you can get it on IP

2. I have my own domain, hosted by third party, with POP3 email. I only want the Treo to get my mail when I'm not home. I assume I can just enable it when desired, and have it set to leave mail on the server? Yes, Snappermail works for me.

3. Is there a charge for the picture service (take pix, send out)? If so, can I just take the picture and download when I'm home for free? No, pix are same as data

4. I use latest Outlook without Exchange. Any problem with maintaining Contacts and the Treo in sync via Bluetooth? I use Bluetooth always to hotsync, no problems

Really appreciate the help. Sorry I don't have a snappy name and a cool avitar?

Mike
    red

Mike, I too ported from Morizon to Cingular, because of Morizon's arrogance regarding Bluetooth. Morizon crippled Bluetooth functionality on the Moto V710, so basically, it can only be used with a headset. There is no reason to expect that they will leave full Bluetooth functionality on the Treo 650. No regrets switching to Cingular, except for their spotty coverage at the beach, but I guess you can't have everything.
  3.    #3  
    Buying an unlocked unit sounds like a $ 750 proposition versus $250 discounted by Cingular for a new customer. Ugh.

"Unlock the Cingular" DUN makes me nervous. Concerns me that I then have a modified unit, no Cingular support, etc. I make my living charging by the hour; I can't afford a lot of time refiddling with tools to make stuff work. Is this a well-understood and documented procedure, or am I entering the Black Hole Of Modifying??

Mike
    EVDO is the CDMA 3G high-speed net access supported by Verizon. EDGE is the GSM 3G high-speed supported by Cingular. They are not compatible with each other. EDGE has much greater coverage in the US than EVDO, but EVDO is rated to be faster.

I am a fellow *****....been waiting for this Treo 650 for what seems forever.

Mark
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 04/27/2005 at 10:56 PM. Reason: fix quote
    Quote Originally Posted by gadjitfreek

Mike
    EVDO is the CDMA 3G high-speed net access supported by Verizon. EDGE is the GSM 3G high-speed supported by Cingular. They are not compatible with each other. EDGE has much greater coverage in the US than EVDO, but EVDO is rated to be faster.

I am a fellow *****....been waiting for this Treo 650 for what seems forever.

Mark
    Hi!!! I'm Wiggy, & I'm an ***** too!!! Idiousy loves company...
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 04/27/2005 at 10:59 PM. Reason: fix quote tags
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    Buying an unlocked unit sounds like a $ 750 proposition versus $250 discounted by Cingular for a new customer. Ugh.

"Unlock the Cingular" DUN makes me nervous. Concerns me that I then have a modified unit, no Cingular support, etc. I make my living charging by the hour; I can't afford a lot of time refiddling with tools to make stuff work. Is this a well-understood and documented procedure, or am I entering the Black Hole Of Modifying??

Yes while it is a $750 investment for an unlocked GSM phone, you can get it at costco. Costco is not a certified retailer however they are not a certified retailer of much of the things they sell. What they offer instead is essentially a lifetime return policy if you are unhappy with the device. This means that you can buy it and if you have any trouble with it or it is not worth the cashola (or decide you wish you would have gone cingular contract) you can return. I just purchased the treo 650 from costco.com and will definitely return the investment if in the next 8 - 12+ months a new treo version comes out (or other better phone). Just something to think about...
    I thought it was $700 if you buy through Palm?

http://web.palmone.com/products/comm...tegoryId=30025
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Then again, I can't imagine paying Cingular what they charge for data (NEVERMIND what VZW charges! Its outrageous!) when Sprint has more attractive data plans, AND if you sign up for a "FREE&CLEAR AMERICA" or "FAIR&FLEXIBLE AMERICA" plan there are never roaming charges so its the same as having VZW's network "...working for you"! Still, roll your dice and make your choice man, but that's my two cents!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I thought it was $700 if you buy through Palm?

http://web.palmone.com/products/comm...tegoryId=30025
    $700 yes but if you pay $729 at costco you can return it for years to come should the need arise. I know people who have returned things 2+ years later (as long as they had the receipt). This of course is not counting their 6 month limit on laptops and computers.
    VZW has the best network in the nation, a lot of us have been waiting months for this phone. My contract runs out in 3 weeks, I thought about porting to Cingular (they have decent coverage in my area, Sprint is horrendous) if VZW didn't offer the 650 but now that's it closer, I'm staying. What is the point of getting the 650 if you can't make calls with it?
    Tack on my New Every 2 $100 off discount, it's worth the wait.
  11.    #11  
    ".... now that it's closer..." MY local VZW guy seems very plugged in with V, and he is still saying "two months, maybe three", and every month repeats it. V has a web site announcement and you can ask for notification, but sure doesn't seem to be forthcoming. Plus it seems clear they will not have support for EVDO, and I want to use the Treo as a modem for my notebook fairly often.
    You don't have to use the DUN hack if you buy PDAnet ($35). Not sure if it works for non-sprint phones. This is one of the few apps that's worth the money.

-BT
    I couldnt wait anymore. My business revolves around my email and I am not a blackberry kinda guy....So, I dropped Verizon and went with Cingular. So far so good. I have not had a dropped call, my signal has been strong everywhere I go, and I have been very pleased with the service that I gotten from cingular support.

Verizon does have the best coverage but is way to behind in technology...
    Folks,

I have had BAM/Verizon, Sprint, and Cingular. Regarding the initial posters questions:

1) Get a phone that works where you need it to work.

2) Get PDANet for $40 or whatever. It's a one time charge and lets you use your 650 or 600 as a modem for your laptop. It works really well and supports bluetooth or a direct connection via USB charging cable that works better. Forget about waiting for the 650 firmware and free bluetooth option -- it's not that reliable and is speed limited.

2) Verizon and Sprint have 1xRTT data in all areas. Sprints is much cheaper ($15/month vs. $40 for Verizon unlimited). Both allow connection to laptop with PDANet. Verizon's coverage is better. Sprint allows you to roam on Verizon's great network for $5 month but data doesn't work when you are roaming.

3) Verizon is rolling out much higher speeds in most areas and Sprint will do this soon. But the Treo doesn't support it and it currently only works with a laptop card and is $80/month with Verizon.

3) Cingular/AT&T support Edge for differenet unlimited costs. With Cingular it is $25 for unlimited data, but this option blocks some things from your laptop (VPN connections). But you should be able to browse the net, etc.

4) With the 600/650, the $40 PDA Cingular unlimited plan gives you full access to VPN, etc.

5) The speeds with Edge vs. 1xRTT are about the same. Sprint, Verizon, and Cingular will be about equal on the 600/650. Sprints data plan is the cheapest and is your best option, all other things the same.

6) Cingular/AT&T should easily match Verizon in coverage in a few months once they fully combne their strengths.

So, going back to #1 and #2 -- choose the provider that works in your area and use PDANet for laptop connections.

Glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    Folks,
    2) Verizon and Sprint have 1xRTT data in all areas. Sprints is much cheaper ($15/month vs. $40 for Verizon unlimited). Both allow connection to laptop with PDANet. Verizon's coverage is better. Sprint allows you to roam on Verizon's great network for $5 month but data doesn't work when you are roaming.
    Glenn
    True, but unless they make a MAJOR departure for the 650, data doesn't work on VZW when you're in 800mhz digital areas. In my experience, if VZW has 1900mhz coverage in an area, Sprint does too. No advantage to VZW there.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.