1.    #1  
    OK, I love this phone, but the pause before it dials a number from contact, hotkey, call log is driving me crazy. I installed the update but the delay is still there. Is anyone working on this? Is there any hack/ workaround?
    It not even the delay that's annoying, it's the lack of response. when you hit the dial button and it does nothing, you can't tell if you missed it or if it's doing the few second delay thing.

I've read the forum stuff on the delay. I was just wondering if there's any help or progress yet.

Thank much,
    Jeff
    No help from me, but I'm definitely annoyed by this. My phone even hangs sometimes when I'm recieving a call. Sometimes I don't notice it and it sits for hours on the Answer/Ignore screen. Certainly not good for my screen, battery, or sanity....

uggh

Mike
    Sometime you dial a number by mistake or I change my mind, but there is a delay in treo's response to hang up.

By that time the other person already receives the call and sees your name in the caller id and it is rude to hang up. It does not happen a lot, but it happens.

Sometime there is a similar dealy in turning on and off the speaker phone.
    Treo, I love you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have the delay even after the update. I may be wrong, but that is something that we may have to live with! It is annoying beyond description, and even more so when it causes you to perform and error like hanging up on someone!
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Folks,

What stinks about this is that the 600 was perfect in resposiveness. It was even faster at looking up contacts. It really seems like the 650 has a slower processor.

Glenn
  6.    #6  
    It just seems ridiculous! Is this really justs stumping the programmers? Is it really rocket science? I don't even need it to dial faster. Just acknowledge that I hit the dial button.
    Ok, enough b1tchin. Does pa1m know about this delay problem? has there been any response? Does anyone know the correct channels to go through to inform them of this?

Good to hear I'm not alone,
    jeff
    I always hate 'me too' posts, but I have to agree here.. The 650 is a great phone in so many ways, but this delay is a real annoyance.

I also noticed that the call log is even more difficult to navigate. Add the delay on top of it and it really becomes a nuisance. The 600 was almost immediate in its response to a dial command.. The 650 is hit or miss. Hopefully the next update will fix this.
    Quote Originally Posted by LonS
    I always hate 'me too' posts, but I have to agree here.. The 650 is a great phone in so many ways, but this delay is a real annoyance.

I also noticed that the call log is even more difficult to navigate. Add the delay on top of it and it really becomes a nuisance. The 600 was almost immediate in its response to a dial command.. The 650 is hit or miss. Hopefully the next update will fix this.
    I totally agree...the delay + awkwared call log + no option to go right to call log make the 650 much more annoying to use than the 600 which responded instantly and just seemed to work perfectly...
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I assume it must be related to the network?

I have a new GSM unlocked phone (ver 1.15) and there is no delay when dialling.
    I have wondered about this too. I have an unlocked GSM on TMo. Besides the delay in dialing, I'm getting a slow beeping before it connects...then when it does go thru, sometimes I find it has been ringing already at the other end of the call and someone has already answered or it's gone to their voicemail. When the beeping finally stops and I'm able to hear what's going on on the other end, often people seem annoyed that they answered and I didn't speak up. Some have commented that they thought it was a crank call at first...not a good situation!
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    I assume it must be related to the network?

I have a new GSM unlocked phone (ver 1.15) and there is no delay when dialling.
    I don't think it's related to the network. Mine dials quickly if I enter a number manually. It's only slow when dialing from contacts or call log. That's a phone OS problem, not a network problem.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I wonder if it is at all related to Bluetooth? The 600 doesn't have Bluetooth, but the 650 does, so the extra time might be searching for a nearby Bluetooth headset. Still an issue that Palm should resolve though, to at least make the interface more responsive, so that you can know that it recieved your action, even if it takes a second to connect.
    I had the annoying delay problem when I had a Sprint 650, but my Cingular 650 (FW 1.04) has no delay at all when dialing with any method.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    Asside from paris it is only a CDMA issue. I am surprized to hear a GSM'er complain of this issue, it shouldn't happen on GSM units only CDMA.

...Reason number 1,254 to pick GSM over CDMA.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Yep, the delay is very annoying. And the phone interface is a step down from the Treo600. In addition to the delay on the T650, it seems like an extra button press or two is required to navigate to Call log or to the shortcuts. I'd love for someone to find a way to restore the T600 approach for the phone app.
    Palm III > Treo 600 > Treo 650 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Sprint)
    Macbook C2D 2.0GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by Munir
    Yep, the delay is very annoying. And the phone interface is a step down from the Treo600. In addition to the delay on the T650, it seems like an extra button press or two is required to navigate to Call log or to the shortcuts. I'd love for someone to find a way to restore the T600 approach for the phone app.
    Try and replace the phone app in ROM with the one from the 600 . Let us know how it goes...

Seriously, could one do this or does the NVFS muck it up?
    Man, I dont think that would be to hard to do per shadowmites instructions on custom ROM. All we need is a brave user to replace the T650 phone app with the T600 phone app.

Hey Treo experts please chime in and let us know if this is possible.
    I wouldn't hold out much hope. The Favorites are different (picture now in Contacts), the underlying radio+processor is different, the OS version is different and probably most importantly the whole memory architecture is different (and worse in many ways).

My guess is that it's directly related to flash memory. On my Sprint/CDMA phone, the delay doesn't happen every single time - it's more random than that. I don't have any way to prove it, but it almost seems like if the contact is already in ram (not flash), the access time would definitely be quicker than having to read from slow flash memory - at least that's the symptom. Although flash is slower to read, I'd be surprised if it was enough for us humans to notice when the amount of data read is small (milliseconds vs nanoseconds).

Ok, I admit it - I have no idea why it happens.
    I guess if it were possible to speed up the phone app Shadowmite would have already done it by now
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 05/25/2005 at 09:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Munir
    Agreed 100%. I'd take the Treo 600 phone phone app back any day.