1.    #1  
    I just installed PdaNet, and now my laptop has internet connection through my Treo 650...very coooool!! I'm getting speeds of around 50 kbps.

At this point, I can only figure out how to get connection using the hotsynch cable, and this works well.

But I cannot figure out how to use bluetooth connection. My Treo searches my laptop for compatible devices, but nothing works, and I just get error messages (yes, my laptop has bluetooth capability).

Do I need to configure my laptop in some way so that my Treo will recognize it? How do I do this?

Also, I put PdaNet as a shortcut application on my laptop. However, when I click on this in my laptop, nothing happens. I get a message that says something like "another application is already running" or something similar.

Anyway, what have others done to get their bluetooth connection to work?

Lastly, my Treo 650 with hotsynch cable says that its receiving speed is ranging anywhere from 500,000 to 1,000,000+ kbps. I know this can't be possible. I have logged onto 3 different websites that do speed test ratings, and get results of approx 50 kbps. Do others get bogus speed readouts on their Treo too?

Thanks!
    Maybe the information at the PdaNet FAQ page would be helpful.

http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/faq.php

Are you sure that Bluetooth is actually enabled on your laptop? You might have to check both the BIOS and Windows settings.
  3.    #3  
    Hi Alex,

Thanks for the link you provided. After reading the FAQ, I have realized that it's probably not worth using the bluetooth connection because of its slower speed and higher battery drain. Since the USB hotsynch cable connection works fine, I will just stick with this method.

Thanks!
    Hi,

I too have decided to stick with the cable for PDANet... but I can foresee the day when going cable-free would be nice, so I spent some time setting it up. The PDANet app on the Treo must be set to Bluetooth. The PDANet app on the pc must be set to allow bluetooth and must be set to the com port you are using for bluetooth. You must add a com port in your bluetooth setup on your pc. Then you just click connect on your Treo and voila!

I have found it to be slower and less likely to get a stable connection on first attempt. But I am getting a BT card that will fit in my pc slot so I am planning to experiment another time.

Have fun!
  5.    #5  
    I have enabled bluetooth, and chose Com 1 which didn't work. Then tried Com 3, and this didn't work either. Shouldn't be this hard, but I can't seem to get my bluetooth connection to work...oh well, I'm pretty much giving up.

By the way, this message was written using my laptop and PdaNet Treo 650 connection using the USB cable...so cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    I have enabled bluetooth, and chose Com 1 which didn't work. Then tried Com 3, and this didn't work either. Shouldn't be this hard, but I can't seem to get my bluetooth connection to work...oh well, I'm pretty much giving up.

By the way, this message was written using my laptop and PdaNet Treo 650 connection using the USB cable...so cool!
    Com 4 is the most common used unless you have some special setup requirments for other devices.
  7.    #7  
    Is there a way of adding Com 4 on my laptop? The PdaNet application only shows two choices on my laptop, Com 1 and Com 3.
    If you have XP you set it up in the "my bluetooth places" then add a com port
  9.    #9  
    Yes, I have Windows XP. How do I get to My Bluetooth Place ?
    Control panel.

Its only available when you have a bluetooth adapter attached or built in bluetooth turned on
    Would someone do me a favor and do a speed test with cable and then with bluetooth and post the results? I'm on Cingular, so Cingular users would be most helpful.

Or is this posted somewhere else?

Thanks!

[Edit]

I used PDANet a few months back on my T650 with the cable, just for one day as a test. It worked great, but I normally do not need it. Now if I want to test it with bluetooth, will it let me reinstall and try it again? Or will it already know that I tried it a couple of months before? I have hard reset my phone since then, but my laptop has not been formatted since then.
    I routinely use PdaNEt on the 650 (sprint). It always connects at 145kb.
    Quote Originally Posted by taointn
    I routinely use PdaNEt on the 650 (sprint). It always connects at 145kb.
    Is that confirmed with a speed test, and is that with the cable?

Thanks for the info.
    no, not confirmed with speed test. It's not like cable modem obviously, but data comes in faster than dial up with out a question. Yes it is with the cable.
    PDANet's website says the reported connection speed is bogus. You have to test it to know the true speed.
    How can I get an accurate bandwidth / data rate / speed measurement? Is there embedded software in the Treo that can handle this or is there external software that can give me an accurate reading? I need to know my true data rate using Treo as a modem!!