Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have now had both the original [now end-of-life] palmOne Bluetooth Headset (the rebranded Jabra BT250P) and now the current Treo Wireless Headset (a rebranded Jabra BT330). It turns out that both have special firmware which, when paired properly, adds a number of extra features [in conjunction with your T650] that ordinarily are not available (e.g. the automatic handoff, last number redial, mute etc.). If you read the fine print in the manual from the palmOne Bluetooth Headset, the routine way to pair is to power down the headset (hold the button for 8+ seconds), then hold the button for 8+ seconds until the blue light glows steady. However, if after you power down, you hold the Volume + button and then hold down the ‘multifunction’ button, and then pair, you get the extra features. This appears to be part of the special firmware that palmOne specified for their branded version of the Jabra BT250P. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $this$ $does$ $not$ $work$ $on$ $the$ $plain$ $Jabra$ $BT250$.
    Now, for the interesting part. I had to do a warranty exchange and got a Treo Wireless Headset ® in return. The manual made no mention of this special pairing process. I did the pairing with my T650 the ‘routine’ way, and could not figure out why the headset would not take the handoff automatically, and why last number redial and mute would not work. On a whim, since both headsets are made by Jabra with firmware for palmOne, I decided to delete the TWH from my device list in my T650, and then paired it again by using the same trick for my old BT250P (i.e. power down headset, then hold Volume + button and ‘multifunction’ button for 8+ seconds until steady blue light). Magic!!! All of the missing features returned!!
    Give this a try and report back if it works for you. BTW, this is why it seems from a functional standpoint (not audio quality, fit, comfort) the palmOne branded BT headsets seem to integrate better with the T650. YMMV.
    Great info--super detective work. Would you be willing to comment on the audio quality. As great as those features are, I want to be sure my callers don't complain about how I sound.
    Please compare these....Scala 500, SE 660, Treo headset! I am having such a time deciding!

Which is best in terms of overall quality, clarity, volume?

Cheers, Fred
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Last number redial and mute are added features? I thought they were standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Mine has all features without any special pairing
  6.    #6  
    FWIW, I could not get the last number redial and mute to work when I did the 'standard' pairing.

mikeap--audio quality seemed better to me with old palmOne BT Headset (eargels in ear) than with my current Treo Wireless Headset.
    i tried the G2 headset but it was too small for my ear. Can anyone recomend one? There are a few on sale at treo central store.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    All listed in the TWH manual. No small print involved.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    All listed in the TWH manual. No small print involved.
    FWIW, even though the Enhanced Features are listed in the TWH manual (see page 11), they did not seem to work for me at all. Also, I was not getting the automatic handoff to the headset for incoming and outgoing calls (I'm not talking about auto-answer). It might be my setup or my T650, but doing the pairing with the method for the BT250P gave me back those features. As I asked in my post, please tell me if your TWH-T650 setup works fine (all Enhanced Features), and if you did anything different with pairing to your T650.
    Does it has Voice Tag feature ?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jposin
    I have now had both the original [now end-of-life] palmOne Bluetooth Headset (the rebranded Jabra BT250P) and now the current Treo Wireless Headset (a rebranded Jabra BT330). It turns out that both have special firmware which, when paired properly, adds a number of extra features [in conjunction with your T650] that ordinarily are not available (e.g. the automatic handoff, last number redial, mute etc.). If you read the fine print in the manual from the palmOne Bluetooth Headset, the routine way to pair is to power down the headset (hold the button for 8+ seconds), then hold the button for 8+ seconds until the blue light glows steady. However, if after you power down, you hold the Volume + button and then hold down the ‘multifunction’ button, and then pair, you get the extra features. This appears to be part of the special firmware that palmOne specified for their branded version of the Jabra BT250P. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $this$ $does$ $not$ $work$ $on$ $the$ $plain$ $Jabra$ $BT250$.
    Now, for the interesting part. I had to do a warranty exchange and got a Treo Wireless Headset ® in return. The manual made no mention of this special pairing process. I did the pairing with my T650 the ‘routine’ way, and could not figure out why the headset would not take the handoff automatically, and why last number redial and mute would not work. On a whim, since both headsets are made by Jabra with firmware for palmOne, I decided to delete the TWH from my device list in my T650, and then paired it again by using the same trick for my old BT250P (i.e. power down headset, then hold Volume + button and ‘multifunction’ button for 8+ seconds until steady blue light). Magic!!! All of the missing features returned!!
    Give this a try and report back if it works for you. BTW, this is why it seems from a functional standpoint (not audio quality, fit, comfort) the palmOne branded BT headsets seem to integrate better with the T650. YMMV.
    Unfortunately, the technique you mention does not add any features on my headset. In addition, it removed the ability for the headset to auto-connect on outgoing calls! After deleting and repairing the device, this feature returned.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    It isnt a secret, the 2 pairing modes are for Headset/ Handsfree pairing. Normal pairing puts it in Headset mode and there are no enhanced features. The enhanced features are part of the Handsfree profile, mentioned in Jabra manuals. The Palm branded headsets however do function better with the Treo according to most reports.
    - Ankur.
    FYI..I ordered the PalmOne BT headset yeserday and it shipped yesterday - even though it said it would ship in 2-3 weeks!

Just thought I'd pass along the good news!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ankur
    It isnt a secret, the 2 pairing modes are for Headset/ Handsfree pairing. Normal pairing puts it in Headset mode and there are no enhanced features. The enhanced features are part of the Handsfree profile, mentioned in Jabra manuals. The Palm branded headsets however do function better with the Treo according to most reports.
    - Ankur.
    Maybe it's no secret, but the Treo Wireless Heasdet manual does not mention it, only the BT250P manual.
    OK - a little confused here.... I just bought and received a new headset that I bought here in the treocentral store. I bought this one:

http://store.treocentral.com/content.../9-32--180.htm

It says Palm1. The box it came in was a PalmOne Box, but the headset itself says Jabra on it. My question is.... did I buy the improved headset with the treo firmware on it? The page I bought it from says "This headset has been specifically optimized to work with the Treo 650."

What do you think?
    I recently picked up a Cardo Scala 500 and LOVE it. I didn't realize how annoying the ear bud on my old Jabra BT250 was until I was using a headset that doesn't have that. True, I do have to turn up the volume in noisy environments... but my ear doesn't get itchy from having the headset on either. YMMV

I have also found that the CS500 noise cancelling works pretty well in all but extremely noisy environments. Call handling features work as expected, especially the auto hand-off of audio to the headset... which is really the most important for me. I found that my BT250, even when I did manually transfer the audio, still didn't behave properly with the phone. I did not try the P1-specific version, and didn't consider hunting it down since they apparently took it off their active products list.
    Quote Originally Posted by txken
    OK - a little confused here.... I just bought and received a new headset that I bought here in the treocentral store. I bought this one:

http://store.treocentral.com/content.../9-32--180.htm

It says Palm1. The box it came in was a PalmOne Box, but the headset itself says Jabra on it. My question is.... did I buy the improved headset with the treo firmware on it? The page I bought it from says "This headset has been specifically optimized to work with the Treo 650."

What do you think?
    That's the old Treo 650 headset that PalmOne sold for $99.99 MSRP and went by the name "Bluetooth Wireless Headset". The one everyone is talking about is the Treo Wireless Headset which PalmOne sells for $79.99 and TC sells for $69.95

http://store.treocentral.com/content...11-31--241.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    That's the old Treo 650 headset that PalmOne sold for $99.99 MSRP and went by the name "Bluetooth Wireless Headset". The one everyone is talking about is the Treo Wireless Headset which PalmOne sells for $79.99 and TC sells for $69.95

http://store.treocentral.com/content...11-31--241.htm
    OK - but my understanding is that there is or was a version of the Jabra BT 250 that was made exclusively for the treo - was branded as such and I think went my the name BT 250P. Did that actually exist and are they just out of them?
    Yes, there is/was... AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $it$'$s$ $no$ $longer$ $sold$ $directly$ $through$ $their$ $web$ $site$, $not$ $sure$ $about$ $retail$ $locations$. $But$ $there$'$s$ $been$ $such$ $a$ $confusion$ $regarding$ $the$ $names$ $they$ $used$ $for$ $all$ $these$ $specialized$ $sets$ $that$ $it$'$s$ $difficult$ $to$ $know$ $which$ $one$ $someone$ $is$ $talking$ $about$.

Bill
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Okay... I have to give my opinion. I have been shopping for a new bluetooth headset since the first day I got my Treo 650 3 months ago (then using a Moto HS850). Finally, I bought the Treo Wireless Headset (the one that looks like the Jabra BT330) one off ebay. Of course, the next day I found one at the local Palm store. So I bought it there too to see the performance.

It is the only headset I have used that ACTUALLY works well with the Treo 650. I am mainly refering to the delay. There hasn't been a delay at all for incoming and outgoing calls. It is great! Pickup is almost immediate. The redial works but I dont' really even care about that so long as there is no delay.

The volume is LOUD. Louder than my HBH-300 w/ Moto V505. Louder than the HS850 with Moto V505 and Treo 650.

I also tried the Jabra BT800 and as reported... the delay on that is worse than the other headsets I had.

So hands down.. this is the best headset for the Treo in my opinion. Heard the HBH660 had little/no delay either but I never tried it... that might be another option.

Finally! A bluetooth headset that works with the Treo 650.

aaron
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast