1.    #1  
    I'm getting some pretty horrid battery times. After using/talking with my 650 for *maybe* a total of 30 minutes and pulling it off the charger this morning (6 hours ago) at 100%, it's now at 60%.

Does this sound normal?
    GEEKTOPIC - The Geek Forum. <--Free Hentai Image Forum!
    I get about two days on my 650. Talk on it about 1 hour a day and check email/surf/NES etc. I'm using RadioControl (or RadioOff, can't remember) to turn the phone off at 23:00 and on at 06:00. Don't really have any battery issues at all.

I know polling mail in the background can really suck life so I'm using TreoHelper in conjunction with Snappermail and a little app I wrote to generate SMS alerts when a new message arrives. This triggers TreoHelper which then launches Snappermail so I'm only checking mail when I have new mail, not all the time.
  3.    #3  
    I don't really want to turn the radio off (and it wouldn't have much of an effect on daytime battery consumption anyway) since I have needy friend who call at odd hours...

Is having Versamail and Versichat going on killing the batt? Maybe I need to axe those or something. Is your SMS app available?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I think VeriChat might be sucking down battery. I don't think VersaMail would be a problem though. I have it checking email every 30 minutes on two accounts and if I don't use the phone all day I have at least 75-80% left. Sometimes the battery level is higher. Get rid of anything that is constantly on GPRS to save battery.
    i just make sure i charge it everynight.. solves the battery issue for me
    I had battery issues when I enabled custom sounds on megalauncher, just a shot in the dark

Silver5 your avatar is making me dizzy,,,,,,,,,,, no,,,,,,,wait,,,,,it was the beers
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    I think VeriChat might be sucking down battery.
    When I was trying verichat it really slurped the power. Chatter is a little worse than without but not nearly as bad as verichat IMO.
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    OKAY GUYS!~

For those that are not aware of KB LIGHTS...... BUY IT!
    My battery life has almost doubled!! No joke, same with a customers 650 when he came back to the Store raving about it... Buy it here: www.lilapps.com

Take Care,
    - Jim R.
    spoolenturbo@gmail.com
    turn off BT, turn off beam receive. Bet that helps.
  10.    #10  
    I will look into VersiChat being the culprit. My BT is off, as is (I think) beam receive.
    I've also been having power issues - EVEN WITH MY RADIO OFF. If I leave it over the weekend with the radio off, it will completely die. I also tried to revive it by plugging it back in but the battery would not charge. I did a soft reset and the battery began to charge. Any Ideas.

P.S. BT was off
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Chatter does eat battery, and I'm sure VeriChat is even worse. Without Chatter, I can intermittently use and keep my Treo 650 on (radio on, GPRS not connected) for 3 days, no problem. With Chatter connected I get perhaps 36 hours of effective use before I have to recharge.

Mind you, Chatter is well worth the price in battery usage.
    Here's the fix-
    1- get a 1900 battery from Dan's on eBay- there is a bad batch of stock batteries out there
    2-Turn off enable background play on Ptunes and Real player or whatever MP3 player you use. Re-enable it when you use the player
    3- Turn off Verichat always on mode.

If you have time, you could probably try each one by itself and see what difference it makes, but I like the shotgun approach.
    I actually think the new battery did the most for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotoru
    When I was trying verichat it really slurped the power. Chatter is a little worse than without but not nearly as bad as verichat IMO.

Which version of Verichat are you using? I've been using a demo of the new version and it seems to significantly reduce battery usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    Which version of Verichat are you using? I've been using a demo of the new version and it seems to significantly reduce battery usage.
    Hmm.. sorry.. has been awhile. Definitely not the newest version. Good to hear that they have made improvements. I really do not fault either chatter or Verichat. Any time you have an active connection you are going to consume more power. Now that I have Chatter, I really just do not have a good reason to use Verichat. Between Chatter and SMS pretty much takes care of my message needs.

The two biggies with me right now are bluetooth, phone usage and chatter. I have been charging every night. Yesterday the phone died at 9% battery while I was talking on the BT headset for about 45min and not paying attention to the battery. Usually, if I charge every night I end up with about 30-60% remaining power at bedtime with <45 min of total phone usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by hirschr
    Here's the fix-
    1- get a 1900 battery from Dan's on eBay- there is a bad batch of stock batteries out there
    Thx for info hirschr. After a bit of searching... I found Dan's eBay site here:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?D23232BFA

Also, found a link for a pretty reasonable battery extender here. Might be useful ?in a briefcase or on a plane (with phone off of course) to extend battery if charger not around. There is also a thread around here to make your own with a 9V batt.
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?R10263BFA

Now we just need someone to come up with a 2300m Ah battery for the treo... now that I would buy Or heck, might as well wish for 2500 like these
    http://www.thomasdistributing.com/ma..._batteries.php
    Last edited by Hotoru; 04/28/2005 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Added info