1.    #1  
    Down in my den which is half below grade, the phone signal isn't very strong. In inclement weather I sometimes have just a hint of a bar on the signal meter. I noticed a few nightes ago that when the 650 did one of those mysterious "turn ons for no reason" where the screen and keyboard lights up, that the LED was also blinking and looking at the phone screen it was searching for the network.

I wonder now if the one source of the turn ons isn't the Treo looking for a new tower as one travels out of a cell and temporaily lost signal. It never turns on by itself when phone is off, at least not that I have noticed.
    Mine does the same thing sitting on my desk. Unfortunately for me, GSM will not fully penetrate my building, so when in the office, I forward the 650 to my trusty old V60i from Verizon. At various times during the day, the 650 will light up on its own, then time out and go to sleep again. I also assume that it is losing and finding signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I wonder now if the one source of the turn ons isn't the Treo looking for a new tower as one travels out of a cell and temporaily lost signal. It never turns on by itself when phone is off, at least not that I have noticed.
    Yes, that's one of the prime reasons for the 650 turning itself on randomly.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    I spoke with Palm and the tech told me that this was a "Normal feature" and so that is how it is supposed to me. I personally think that is a ridiculous feature if so intended. They should really provide an optional fetaure/preference if one would want the phone to turn on and off looking for a tower. Sad and Pathetic !!!!!!!!!! Wears my battery down !!!!!!!!!!!!
  5.    #5  
    I saw so mamy people asking but no answers....maybe they all using that LED off thing <grin>. My battery lasts about a week if my son stays off the games so I am not that worried about it....it maybe hapens twice a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeskin
    I spoke with Palm and the tech told me that this was a "Normal feature" and so that is how it is supposed to me.
    It's a normal feature of just about every cell phone I've ever owned that had a "sleep" mode. I simply cannot have the my 650 phone on when I'm at work because we get absolutely no signal (Sprint) in our building. A fully charged battery won't even make it to the end of the day.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Then can't you just turn off the phone. You can still use the other features...
    I have added a feature to ScheduleCare (soon to be renamed to ProfileCare) that will detect no-signal conditions and turn your phone off automatically after X minutes of continuious no-signal conditions. Then after Y minutes it will again power up and look for a signal. If none is found for X minutes, the cycle repeates itself.

It is a real battery saver!

Jeff
    as my batt only lasts a day do to lack of signal @ work...
    will it play nice w/chatter online?
    my keyboard sometimes turns on randomly in the middle of the night...any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    as my batt only lasts a day do to lack of signal @ work...
    will it play nice w/chatter online?
    I am assuming so. What does Chatter Online do when the radio is turned off?

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23
    my keyboard sometimes turns on randomly in the middle of the night...any ideas?
    Have seen mine do that as well, just the keyboard has been on and not the screen. I think is has something to do with Snappermail's "auto tasks" running around 3:00am. I haven't had time to investigate it more yet so it's just a theory right now and I could be completely wrong.
    i don't have snappermail but i do have chatter, however, i defined sleep hours between 1am and 8am.
    online meaning state of acively synching.. in which there is a constant open connection w/vision (internet) to receive pushed mail.. data however is only being transmiTed/received when mail is synched. there is options in chatter to disble when no signal.. & keep connection open... there may be compatibility issues w/SC & chatter... maybe u & marc blank can look into any possible issues.
    TIA.. john
    btw... Paulsjmail who is a devout SC & chatter beta tester could possibly help concerning testing this.
    Mine comes on constantly at times as well. But, my signal strength is excellent. I have found that during these episodes, if I turn off Bluetooth it will stay off.