Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey I just got my Treo through Sprint, and I was wondering if any of you guys might point me in the right direction as far as what good programs to load, what to load first...etc. I know everyone has their own favorite programs, but some people have mentioned to load apps before others and such.

I will read all the included documents, but i feel the treo community is the best place to go for advice!

I am wondering if i need to upgrade the firmware now, as I am getting the phone that was shipped yesterday, so it may have the memory issue fixed i keep reading about, also there was a thread for free stuff for the treo, but i cannot find it with the search tool....

Any help would be great! I am thrilled that there is such a great dedicated community for the TREO!!!

Adam
    best thing you can do is rea through all the posts!
    just load 1 app at a time and you'll be fine, and read every post you can
    1 | 2
    Get the Now you know Treo book - lots of tips gleaned from experienced users.
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    PowerRun
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    KeyShades
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Get a good backup program (BackupBuddy works for me www.bluenomad.com), a good uninstaller program (www.northglide.com) and a good file manager (www.nosleep.net).
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Go virgin for a week before you load anything. If you IM, verichat is a good program to have. Pocket Tunes is also a must for serious MP3 playing.
    Install Palm OS 6.1.x - you're out of date already.

Just keeding
    Get Uninstall Manager before you install any other applications.

Butler is a must have, with out a doubt its features should have been a part of the T650 out of the box.

To check your firm from phone go menu, phone info, and on software make sure it says 1.08.

For free apps go to my free app thread for info here

P.S. I know its a pain to read this board for hours to get this info but this is the 3rd thread like this I've seen today.
    I apologize for those who waste space with replies to go search the site. If it was so easy to find things that way, they would find them and post the links. Really it is not that easy.

ANYWAY...

These are must have Free additions for the Treo 650.

Since you have Sprint, you must do the pa1mOne Update first.

The following apps will only show up in the "Other" section of the Preferences screen:

FieldPlus
    Use the 5-way navigation pad of the Treo 600/650 to select text in standard PalmOS fields. Plus it restores the Command Bar feature.

ShortsCut5
    Shortcuts replacement with large (up to 4k) shortcut definitions.

Profiles
    Using this freeware application you can create any number of 'profiles' and switch between them instantly - in the same way as on your mobile phone: Meeting, In Car, In Office, Outside, Night, etc

Switch5
    A PalmOS 5 preference panel which provides a simple way to switch between recently used applications.

KeyShades
    Toggles the keyboard LEDs on\off by holding the side button down for a short time.

CutPaste5
    Provides a multiple 32K clipboards for cut, copy, and paste text operations.

Application in the regular application launcher (House or Home key)

The Core Pocket Media Player - TCPMP
    This is pre-alpha software is the first and only Palm-based media player capable of playing advanced files of the Matroska Media Container. Whether your media is DivX, XviD, MP3 or AAC, TCPMP is the best open source media player to provide a solution for playing all your digital media on a wide range of mobile operating systems and devices.

Card Keeper
    This is a simple free app that sounds an alarm if there is no SD card in the slot. CardKeeper helps keep you from losing your memory card.

ChitChat Lite
    ChitChat Lite is an MSN client for the PalmOS connected devices. It allows PalmOS users to chat with their MSN buddies. It just need a chime notification when IM exchanges occurs.

LEDOff
    If you don't like the pulsing LED of your Treo600, LEDOff is for you: enable LEDOff, and it will disable the LED!

SyncAll
    Turns all "backup-bit" set to backup during a HotSync. It says it does work with Palm OS 5, but I have it anyway.

Directory Assistant
    Automate white and yellow pages queries and makes "smart" use of the data on Smartphones!

You also need an app to turn the Radio back on after a reset. There is one FREE app that allows the Phone to turn its RADIO on after a reset. Can anyone can recall what it is and point it out.

There are some shareware or commerical app; however, these will get you going and make your Treo more productive without cost (other than time).

This Other Thread may lead to good apps too:
    SIX applications you couldn't do without

Hope this helps you better than telling you to take a flying leap in the Search TC.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    All of my applications.

http://gotreosoftware.com/downloads

Shameless aren't I???

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice
    I apologize for those who waste space with replies to go search the site. If it was so easy to find things that way, they would find them and post the links. Really it is not that easy.
    I thought this thread was very civil. I myself gave links to 2 great starter applications, gave the information on finding the current fimware in the phone and a link to my list of favorite freebies. There was only one post that did not give good phone tips or links to good applications. I think this board has settled down quite a bit in the last few weeks. I am personaly impressed by this thread. You are being to hard on us. A thread like this would usually get hijacked.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    All of my applications.

http://gotreosoftware.com/downloads

Jeff
    I'm in the office so I cant check those out but do they come with read me files?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    I'm in the office so I cant check those out but do they come with read me files?
    Most do but here is a link to my developer's forum where there is a lot of good information.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Also, here is a link to my Over-the-Air (OTA) site where you can install my applications directly to your Treo via your Treo's browser:

http://gotreosoftware.com/downloads/ota

Have fun.

Jeff
    You also need an app to turn the Radio back on after a reset. There is one FREE app that allows the Phone to turn its RADIO on after a reset. Can anyone can recall what it is and point it out.
    Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the above, but what's wrong with just holding the phone button down for a second? I also believe if you have verichat it immediately enables the radio on a reset.
    Nobody's mentioned what I think is the most important thing of all:

RTFM!!

The number of questions that get asked here over and over, and that are easily found in the manual, is absurd. More importantly, though, you'll understand the Treo much better, and get better use out of it, if you take the time to do so.

I'll also add that the suggestion to read lots of forum posts is good advice. I've learned a ton about this phone from reading the posts here. Yes, if you ask a question that's already been asked, people will still answer you. But there's a lot of information here that you might not even think to ask about. Take advantage of the collective, and collected, wisdom of this group.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
    Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the above, but what's wrong with just holding the phone button down for a second? I also believe if you have verichat it immediately enables the radio on a reset.
    I do have a Free app that turns on the phone after a reset. Its called PowerUp and it is Free for the funcitons you want. Only the applicaiton launching features are keyed. You can find it on my OTA download site:

http://gotreosoftware.com/downloads/ota

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
    Why should you have to do that!? Sometimes the device will reset without you knowing it. When this happens, you will not know that the phone is off. You may miss calls. You will get errors or delays when trying to connect to web or make a call because it is not on.

It is real convenient to have it turn itself back on when it resets.

I have TreoGuard that does it now, but it was doing it before with another app that is loaded. Oh, it was PowerUp By Jeff Gibson.
    Last edited by godschoice; 04/27/2005 at 01:29 PM.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Why should you have to do that!? Sometimes the device will reset without you knowing it. When this happens, you will not know that the phone is off. You may miss calls. You will get errors or delays when trying to connect to web or make a call because it is not on.

It is real convenient to have it turn itself back on when it resets.

I have TreoGuard that does it now, but it was doing it before with another app that is loaded. Oh, it was PowerUp By Jeff Gibson.
    Thanks for the mention. One nice thing about PowerUp is that it will *not* powerup the phone if the phone is already powered up. The reason I created this little utility was because the others I tried to use would not detect the radio state and thus would power up the radio 2 times after a reset! Very annoying.

Jeff
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast