Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Is there now a newly created backup folder and what is in it if there is? "

I have to check if there is a newly created backup folder when I'm back home from work.
    but I did notice however that the icons which are in the"backupold" folder, the folder which I renamed, have been changed or updated due to the desktop software installation.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    you guys are great! your efforts to lend a helping hand here are so appreciated, let me tell you.

when I get home later I will go ahead and try this again and see if I can get it ironed out.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    StylinAR wasnt having trouble with a particular app as far as I know. The goal was to go from the t600 to the t650 and hide the backup so that after syncing the new t650 only one app could be added at a time just to be cautious. But something went wrong and all the old apps got installed. I say rename the back up folder, hard reset sync again, drag and drop PIM, sync, then add an app a day.

im going thru the same stuff
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    what do you mean by "drag and drop PIM"? i hard reset my 650 and deleted everything. i am going to try to reinstall the desktop software onto my laptop now, which still has the t600`s desktop setup installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by StylinAR
    Hey I just got my Treo through Sprint, and I was wondering if any of you guys might point me in the right direction as far as what good programs to load, what to load first...etc. I know everyone has their own favorite programs, but some people have mentioned to load apps before others and such.

I will read all the included documents, but i feel the treo community is the best place to go for advice!

I am wondering if i need to upgrade the firmware now, as I am getting the phone that was shipped yesterday, so it may have the memory issue fixed i keep reading about, also there was a thread for free stuff for the treo, but i cannot find it with the search tool....

Any help would be great! I am thrilled that there is such a great dedicated community for the TREO!!!

Adam
    If it's a Treo 600... enjoy it!

If it's a Treo 650... sell it on ebay as fast as you can and buy a Treo 600.

Don't say I didn't tell you.
    When I did mine I went (start, explore, program files, palm one, jim, back up) I copied my back up to a new folder on the windows desktop and the deleted everything in the original back up. I then installed the new desktop software. Synced the t650. Then drug and dropped my PIM to the quick install which means I clicked the mouse on my addresses file in the new folder I created on the desk top and drug that file to the quick install window, the window you get when you click "quick install" on the start menu. Along with address I drug or you can just double click the memo data base, calender tasks data base, you know all your PIM, Personal InforMation (actually stands for personal information manager).
    I then selectively installed my original 3rd party software by drag and drop or double clicking in the folder I created on windows desktop. Got any q's let me know. Im no expert but I'm happy to help.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    When I did mine I went (start, explore, program files, palm one, jim, back up) I copied my back up to a new folder on the windows desktop and the deleted everything in the original back up. I then installed the new desktop software. Synced the t650. Then drug and dropped my PIM to the quick install which means I clicked the mouse on my addresses file in the new folder I created on the desk top and drug that file to the quick install window, the window you get when you click "quick install" on the start menu. Along with address I drug or you can just double click the memo data base, calender tasks data base, you know all your PIM, Personal InforMation (actually stands for personal information manager).
    I then selectively installed my original 3rd party software by drag and drop or double clicking in the folder I created on windows desktop. Got any q's let me know. Im no expert but I'm happy to help.
    james, i truly appreciate your help, my friend. honestly, thankyou.
    im going to give it a try right now.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    TOUCHDOWN! it worked flawlessly, james. i transferred all apps successfully without a single hitch. im using powerrun to move 3rd party apps to card to make room for others, by the way. all PIM info was transferred over as well. no problems. followed your setup to the tee.

THANKYOU sincerely, my man. you saved me a ton of frustration tonight!

anyone transferring from a t600 to a 650 should follow jamespaulritter`s outline - it works perfectly.
    Thats great,,,, Did you buy a new VW in 2002? What does your user name mean?
    StylinAR wasnt having trouble with a particular app as far as I know. The goal was to go from the t600 to the t650 and hide the backup so that after syncing the new t650 only one app could be added at a time just to be cautious. But something went wrong and all the old apps got installed. I say rename the back up folder, hard reset sync again, drag and drop PIM, sync, then add an app a day.
    I realize that, but many programs which didn't cause problems with the 600 DO cause problems on the 650 cause of the new file system. So, I was suggesting that those that are known to get quirky, be saved till last. And I still recommend going with no apps at all for the first week other than the PalmOne Desktop companion apps....easier to figure out whetehr it's a hardware or software issue causing those resets.
    Ya that sounds like good advice, ( I put the wrong name in that post it wasnt StylinAR, ot was vw2002 )
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    "Thats great,,,, Did you buy a new VW in 2002? What does your user name mean?"

yeah, I have a 2002 vw passat - after my previous car finally died, I test drove the passat and fell in love with it. 4motion is truly a nice feature, especially in snow.
    love the ride - and I can tell I'm going to enjoy the t650 just as much. thanks again.!
    This app looks important...load and install before doing PIM synch or beam?
    +++

<<MTDN Star Developer ConfusedVorlon has released a utility application designed for anyone suffering the issues where the old address database gets corrupted on the Treo 650.

<<From the Developer, "The Treo 650 has a new contacts database format (so it can store birthdays and the like.) Fortunately, it also maintains the old database (AddressDB) so that applications like Initiate can read the same format on all Palm devices. Unfortunately, this database seems to get corrupted somehow - and doesn't get fixed by the Contacts application."

<<With Fix AddressDB, this is no longer a problem - it forces the Treo 650 to rebuild the address database and restores life to applications like "Initiate" among others..
    http://mytreo.net/news/archives/000447.php
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice
    I apologize for those who waste space with replies to go search the site. If it was so easy to find things that way, they would find them and post the links. Really it is not that easy.
    I too appreciate the time you (and others) took to share your apps and tips. I just bought my T650 today...it's charging right now. This is not my first PDA device but it is my first smartphone. I remember when I went from Palm IIIx to Tungsten T. It took me about 90 days to get it the way I wanted it (slide free apps, launchers, music apps, doc readers, picture viewers, trying cases...ultimately reverted to the plastic cover, JOT (to write on the screen), etc.) This was the first OS5 device and there were no help discussions.

I have a trip next week and this forum is helping me tremendously to get my new Treo ready for my trip.

Thanks. BTW, I have been on the internet since about 1994 and I really hate when people say RTFM. I think it is the rudest thing anyone could say in a help forum in the name of help...even if they should do some reading, there are nicer and more respectful ways of saying it.

Pardon the politics, but one thing America lags behind in is respect for their fellow citizen. Not the stand(s) that one take but the actual human, their heart, feelings and the general unselfish improvement of each other for the greater improvement of the whole. What better place for a revolution than the internet. Lets be more respectful...everyone is at a different level. Even though I am an engineer in a nich technology that only two countries in the world have, I need baby language sometimes too.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123