1.    #1  
    Look, I understand that this thread has been done before. But it hasn't been getting very many replies lately. I called Cingular today and the tech support woman told me that she was looking at my unlock code on the computer in front of her but that she couldn't give it to me unless I faxed them the receipt for the phone. Unfortunately I no longer have the receipt for the due to a recent move. Does anybody know of any reliable unlocking services or, even better, can anyone help me out a great deal and send me a copy of their recipt for the Treo650 (full price) so that I can send it to Cingular to get the code. jko2001@hotmail.com

Thanks alot!
    If you've read the threads, you know that there are many of us who have received an unlock code without having to provide proof of purchase price, etc.

Call 'em again, and keep calling until you get a CSR who will help you without making you jump through ridiculous hoops.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    2 weeks ago I had bongowireless.com unlock my treo 650 for 50 bux. I paid with paypal then called the guy and gave him the IMEA. 48 hours later he gave me the code and instructed me on how to enter it. I bought a cingular treo for 500 the day my local store got it in. I bought it with a prepaid sim but told the guy I didn't want any minuets on it yet. I have a tmobile plan and used the 650 for PDA functions and my old treo 270 for internet and phone untill I had it unlocked. I didn't want the hassel of calling cingular. 550 for the 650 is still pretty good.
    I've been calling Cingular for unlock assistance. My 650 was replaced, so the IMEI number is not in Cingular's records and couldn't generate the unlock code, so they say. They sent me to Palm. Palm sent me back to Cingular. Cingular finally agreed to contact Palm for the unlock code, said they would e-mail it to me. That was almost two weeks ago, and calls to them have not helped. I am still waiting.
    Contact them again, and have them check that their records have been updated to reflect your current IMEI and then generate the unlock request again. I had the same thing happen to me - the first person I spoke with failed to update my record to reflect my replacement 650, and the unlock request went nowhere. When I called them back and had them update and resend, I got it within 24 hours.

I suspect that the folks who actually generate the unlock codes, check the records as part of their process, though it would be nice if they'd send you a rejection message if they don't match, instead of just dumping your request in the trash.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    It only took me a single 5-minute phone call to Cingular to get my SIM unlock code. I too had had my phone replaced, and all I had to do was give the CSR the new IMEI.

It's CSR roullette. Keep calling until you get a helpful one.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdan333
    It only took me a single 5-minute phone call to Cingular to get my SIM unlock code. I too had had my phone replaced, and all I had to do was give the CSR the new IMEI.

It's CSR roullette. Keep calling until you get a helpful one.
    SIM unlock code? I thought they were talking about unlocking the actual 650.
  8.    #8  
    For the last couple of days, I have put off my efforts to unlock my Treo 650 and it laid on my bedroom floor in its box waiting to be used. So, out of the blue, tonight I decided to call Cingular at the 1-866-490-2666 number (they told me it was the product management department) and I got through to a rep named James. I told him that I had put in a request for an unlock code and that the 5 days had been up and I was wondering what was going on. He searched for my request, and guess what, it wasn't even there; the rep who claimed to have put it through must have been lying. So he asked for my IMEI number (didn't ask for my account, or phone model, or how long I have been with Cingular...which is 0 days, because I'm in Toronto, Canada) an put me on hold...he came back and told me that he might be able to get my unlock right there and that I would just have to hold for a few more minutes...a little while after he came back on with the code. He didn't have the instructions on how to imput them, but these discussion forums helped me with that. So, after talking to several Cingular reps telling me this and that and beating around the bush, I got through to someone really helpful. I want to thank everyone here who made the suggestion to just keep at it, it truly is the only way to get the unlock (unless you pay like $70+ on eBay). I'm so excited with my new toy!
    My request has been submitted repeatedly by Cingular to Palm. Cingular claims my replacement phone information has been updated, but Palm replies they have no information about the phone. I have been unable to get anyone at Palm to help, and I keep getting the same 'no information' answer from Cingular>Palm. The last two Cingular people checked my new IMEI number in their system and it was correct, but they still struck out with Palm. I had a phone number for Palm which was at corporate, not their normal support line, but I've misplaced it. Does anyone have a phone number to anyone at Palm who can bust a move?
    Cingular 866.490.2666 data support is now sending me to customer service. Customer service is reading the policy of not unlocking the phone while it's under contract unless i paid full price. Stone wall. Anyone know someone at Cingular who can help????
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by pgmr1
    My request has been submitted repeatedly by Cingular to Palm. Cingular claims my replacement phone information has been updated, but Palm replies they have no information about the phone. I have been unable to get anyone at Palm to help, and I keep getting the same 'no information' answer from Cingular>Palm. The last two Cingular people checked my new IMEI number in their system and it was correct, but they still struck out with Palm. I had a phone number for Palm which was at corporate, not their normal support line, but I've misplaced it. Does anyone have a phone number to anyone at Palm who can bust a move?
    From what I understand, Palm has nothing to do with the subsidy unlock. If your treo is locked to cingular, then they have your unlock code in their system, they are just giving you the run around. The lock was put on the phone by Cingular and they have the unlock code stored in their system and pretty much any tech rep can pull it up at anytime just as long as you provide them with the IMEI. The problem is that a lot of the reps are pretty sticky about the unlocking policy which is either:

-you provide them a copy of your receipt for the treo at full price from a licensed dealer (you can't scam this, they check for validity)
    OR
    -you have had the phone activated for a minimum of 90 days

I was able to get my phone unlocked without being a Cingular customer and after purchasing it for about $400 on eBay; simply because I kept calling until I got someone who was unaware of the policy or was just kind enough to help me out. But don't beleive their lies about having to go through Palm or that a request must go through security reps, etc. The tech reps can get your unlock at anytime provided you give them your IMEI. Good luck unlocking! You might want to look at eBay as well, they have unlocking services on there, about $70 though, so you do have options.
    Thank you jko. Since my last post I have been informed by Cingular that they won't unlock my phone while I am under contract, which ends in 2007. They ask why I want it, I say to travel the world, they say they have international service. This is a different tune than the one they've been singing. I will keep trying.

Does anyone know the scoop on onlocking service @ $70? Is it full function, are there any gotchas, is it different from what Cingular does, is it permanent?
    Palm has nothing to do with unlocking a phone.

I must say that Cingular just flat out sucks when it comes to customer service in regards to anything. Good luck.

- Blades
    Mother do you think they'll drop the bomb?
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    thanks GOD my TREO 650 is unlocked. thanks to shawn@gearfortech.com. thanks shawn i called him in canada 905-463-9955 he unlock my treo 650 remotely for 30 USD cheaper then on ebay. I did tried to upgrade 650 but still it i was getting SIM error. I can not belive a canuk sitting in canada can unlock Cingular Treo 650 and here i begged Cingular and got nothing other then waiting.