Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    EarthLink Wireless Offers Power-Packed Treo(TM) 650 smartphone From palmOne

A new Wireless carrier! http://www.sk-earthlink.com/

Now this sure makes the game interesting .

Will they offer things like better insurance and better customer service than the other providers out there? I guess we will find out soon enough.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    They are a reseller for Cingular and VZW; don't hold your breath on the customer service side - it once took me 5 fone calls to cancel an account!
    Watching the video at http://www.sk-earthlink.com/video makes me think they are talking about my Treo 650 (without saying it, or showing it).
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Is the version they're selling the Cingular or Verizon one?
    Actually, what I mean to ask is is it CDMA or GSM?
    Last edited by hersko; 04/26/2005 at 02:07 PM.
    The Treo 650 from EarthLink Wireless operates on the CDMA/1xRTT wireless network with nationwide coverage in the United States. - More Info
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    They are a reseller for Cingular and VZW
    This deal is supposed to be a joint venture between Earthlink and SK Telecom.

http://www.sktelecom.com/eng/about_s...ion/index.html
    SK Telecom introduced a first generation analogue cellular service for the first time in Korea. Next, the company completed a second generation mobile communication technology by successfully commercializing the world's first CDMA cellular service. SK Telecom then followed with the launch of the world's first commercial 2.5 generation CDMA 2000 1X service, as well as the third generation CDMA 2000 1xEV-DO service called synchronized IMT-2000. This has built a strong foundation for the development of the 4th and 5th generation mobile communication technology. Today, SK Telecom is the absolute leader in Korea's information communications arena. The continued support, affection, and encouragement of our valued customers has made possible the two decades of brilliant accomplishments by SK Telecom.
    It looks like they are doing specific content delivery and over the air updating of your address book. Thats kind of interesting although what folks seem to need more is access to their work outlook. etc. Looks like their unlimited data is $ 20 per month. Competition is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    They are a reseller for Cingular and VZW
    and Sprint

(As for Cingular, that's indeed true, but only for old Blackberries that use their Mobitex network; Earthlink has never sold anything that uses Cingular otherwise.)

-SC
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
    They are doing MVNO using SprintPCS network like Virgin Wireless. It is a joint venture like Verizon and Vodophone except not owning the wireless network.
    -Flash123
  10.    #10  
    For anyone wondering:
    What is a MVNO?
    I have Earthlink internet, maybe I'll check this out. Thanks!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I am confused. When you get a Treo from them, you are signing up for Earthlink cell phone service AND data service?! Huh?! Well if they offer unlimited EVDO for $20 then I'd jump ship but otherwise I ave unlimited vision for $10 now but only the RT1xx
  13.    #13  
    treoneo - To summerize the posts in this thread that explain it all. Earthlink has cut a deal with a company named SK Telecom. Together they "front" wireless phone services under their own brand. But actually the service is being provided by Sprint for this CDMA T650. So anyone that got this would be paying more ($20 instead of $10-$15) for the same service. Although there will be some Earthlink specific add-ons. It will not have EVDO.
  14.    #14  
    The commercial is good but I would otherwise avoid Earthlink like the plague. They are a reseller for most of their services. I had dsl with them a few years back and the service was awful. Customer service and billing were a nightmare and as mentioned in a prior post, wait until you try to cancel, you will be given the run around. I spent hours talking to some 3rd world customer service representatives trying to cancel. They would not accept a cancelation via their secure website, via email, or even via live chat. I had to end up canceling a credit card and disputing the charges to get them to stop with the excess billing. I can't even imagine signing up for cellular service with this company. If you do...don't give them your SS# or credit card #.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craigg
    The commercial is good but I would otherwise avoid Earthlink like the plague. They are a reseller for most of their services. I had dsl with them a few years back and the service was awful. Customer service and billing were a nightmare and as mentioned in a prior post, wait until you try to cancel, you will be given the run around. I spent hours talking to some 3rd world customer service representatives trying to cancel. They would not accept a cancelation via their secure website, via email, or even via live chat. I had to end up canceling a credit card and disputing the charges to get them to stop with the excess billing. I can't even imagine signing up for cellular service with this company. If you do...don't give them your SS# or credit card #.
    Craigg -

I was being polite
    They seem to have improved. I have had no problems with their DSL or CS so far, knock on wood. BUT if their wireless service is actually going through Sprint, well that ends that LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    LOL! I just got an email from them to pre-register for the 650 and get $150 off!

Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    No kidding. I felt like I was holding the holy grail when I saw that ad. Then my unit farted and resetted. lol nah j/k but yah that's one slick ad!..i'm going to use that as my bragging link when people ask me what kind of phone i got.
    I wonder if you'll be able to purchase one of those and use it on a Sprint PCS plan. I would buy one outright just to get the "unbranded" CDMA version of the Treo 650, but I wouldn't give up my Sprint plan.

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast