1.    #1  
    OK, everybody and their brother seems to be successfully updating the ROM on their 650. I can't get it to work for the life of me. I keep getting an "Error updating ROM" error at the end of the process.

I got Shadowmite's tool and opened the arc-palmos.zip. I then went through and deleted the language files (except English of course) and the versamail pieces along with the Tutorial app. I added Filez and a different media player (that free "Core" media player or whatever) to it and that was it. Now that I think about it, that media player isn't even a real app yet so maybe the instability of that app is causing the problem. I am re-doing this with a version of ROM that is the exact same but without the goofy media player.
    --EDIT-- That didn't work either.

In the meantime; anybody got any other suggestions?
    Any help is much appreciated. (Notice I said help, not recommendations that I search. In threads I start if you post that I'll delete the first post which I believe deletes that whole thread and I'll start again. Sorry, that's becoming a pet peeve.)
    JW
    I've been doing custom roms for quite some time now and never got that error. You're not including any folders in the ROM are you? Your filesize isn't exceeding the max size is it? You're adding .prc files right?
    This is one of those things where if you can't figure ir out with all the threads and posts you should probably leave well enough alone before you fry your phone.
    Your post is valid and asking for specific info that someone might be able to help with. I am sure you wont get the "search" response. Its the questions that have been beaten to death and are at least 2/3rds of the threads in any search that people get tired of answering.

That said, I have no info to help you with sorry.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the reply, yes I am double clicking the PRC file for filez that was in the unzipped folder on my hard drive after I downloaded it (doing this from within the ROM tool, which is located in the same folder as the OS zip I am editing, is this correct?).The filez prc and the media player prc are the only files I added, the rest was just removing things and I did that based on the PDF from Shadowmite's site (allowing for the differences in GSM and the Sprint version of course).

I just want Versamail to DIE and I'd like to be rid of the quick tour as well. I don't hav to have Filez in rom but I think it would be nice. I thought this would be super easy the way folks were talking about it. I don't really have any memory issues, but dammit it's my phone and I want to decide what's on it .

Anyway, thanks again for the reply.
    JW
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    This is one of those things where if you can't figure ir out with all the threads and posts you should probably leave well enough alone before you fry your phone.
    It's adding some extra icons when it fails but other than that I see no negative effects. A hard reset clears these. If it frys it I will buy another phone (yes I will be pissed, but still I press on...) I am the fry man after all .
    JW
    You a Sprint user or GSM? I used Shadowmites Rom #5 (1.08) as a starting point. I've created about 10 different custom ROMS without issue and have flashed them as well.

After your ace-palmos.zip is created, are you copying over all the other files as well? My PALM folder looks like this when I copy it to the SD Card.

ace-htc-tpl.zip
    ace-htc-tpl.zip.md5
    ace-ipl-cvt1
    ace-ipl-cvt1.md5
    ace-ipl-cvt2
    ace-ipl-cvt2.md5
    ace-ipl-dvt
    ace-ipl-dvt.md5
    ace-ipl-evt
    ace-ipl-evt.md5
    ace-palmos-tpl.zip
    ace-palmos-tpl.zip.md5
    ace-palmos.zip
    ace-palmos.zip.md5
    ace-spl
    ace-spl.md5
    Good luck! Sorry I can't help. Have you posted at the shadowmite forums?
  9.    #9  
    OK, yours is quite a bit shorter than mine. I am using the ROM update for GSM 1.21 as a starting point and going from there, should I not be doing this? The structure for what I'm putting on the SD card is under PALM\DeviceCustomizer\Treo650.ROW and the contents of the .ROW directory is:

ace-htc-tpl.zip
    ace-htc-tpl.zip.md5
    ace-ipl-cvt1
    ace-ipl-cvt1.md5
    ace-ipl-cvt2
    ace-ipl-cvt2.md5
    ace-ipl-dvt
    ace-ipl-dvt.md5
    ace-ipl-evt
    ace-ipl-evt.md5
    ace-palmos-tpl.zip
    ace-palmos-tpl.zip.md5
    ace-palmos.zip
    ace-palmos.zip.md5
    ace-spl
    ace-spl.md5
    FirmwareFlasher.pdb
    FirmwareParamInd.pdb
    FirmwarePatch.pdb
    FirmwarePatch2.pdb
    FirmwareStackRel.pdb
    FirmwareUpdaterApp.bprc
    FirmwareUpdaterApp_deDE.oprc
    FirmwareUpdaterApp_enUS.oprc
    FirmwareUpdaterApp_esES.oprc
    FirmwareUpdaterApp_frFR.oprc
    FirmwareUpdaterApp_itIT.oprc
    RomUpdaterApp.prc

This has a bunch of the update crap that I assumed it needed, but since I'm not trying to upgrade the OS can I strip some of this out? Can you tell me exactly what I on the SD card when you do this other than the files you listed? Or are those the only files?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Good luck! Sorry I can't help. Have you posted at the shadowmite forums?
    Not yet, good idea though. Thanks,
    JW