Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    New user to the 650 and have cingular service. Web browseing works fine as does everything else but the Versamail email client is not working correctly. I do have a desktop machine as well as a laptop so I keep my emails on my email server for about a week so all the machines can _catch_ up and get all the mail off the server before it is deleted. I just have a basic pop3 mail account .. no advanced settings need to be checked .. the mail servers are correct. The problem is getting the email. It goes through its' connecting process and I see the handshake and all that jazz, but then it just holds up forever on the "checking for new messages" screen. Sometimes a few messages will actually be downloaded but then it says "timeout getting message size". I have messed around with the delivery options time and time again but to no avail. It actually worked several times when I got the unit but the last couple days it just times out. I have synced it up several times but that does not even help. Seems like it is trying to get all the messages for the entire week every time or something. Anyway someone help!! I am frustrated with this thing. Maybe I can install a better email program. Any help appreciated!!

Thanks guys,
    Bill
    Bill:

I have had this problem a couple of times, and it appears to be entirely due to the local cell site somehow failing to transmit the GPRS signal. By moving a few miles to another cell I then found that e-mail came through fine. After struggling with this problem for a couple of days, the local cell (GPRS) came back on line. I still have occasional outages and its a pain to get in the car and drive five miles or so, but that seems to work. Bottom line, try driving to an adjacent area and see if you can pick up your mail there. Not an optimum solution, but it works for me.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jetprop
    Bill:

I have had this problem a couple of times, and it appears to be entirely due to the local cell site somehow failing to transmit the GPRS signal. By moving a few miles to another cell I then found that e-mail came through fine. After struggling with this problem for a couple of days, the local cell (GPRS) came back on line. I still have occasional outages and its a pain to get in the car and drive five miles or so, but that seems to work. Bottom line, try driving to an adjacent area and see if you can pick up your mail there. Not an optimum solution, but it works for me.

Thanks for the reply. Are you able to see the login of the GPRS? Mine says logging into GPRS and then the handshake and established then the sync status bar goes through then the bar for checking messages completes once and then just hangs on the "getting messages" screen. Finally just times out after a looooong time. I have tried mine over a 100 mile range actually just today and it did the same thing all day. Sometimes a couple messages will come in but still says I have more and then times out. I have restet it and done everything I can think of to fix it or make it work and have not had any luck as of yet.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Yes, I could see the GPRS triangle, but it never changed to the green arrows as long as it didn't start the download. However, I also was not able connect through Blazer, while you are apparently able to do so.

New suggestion: If you haven't already done so, go to P1 support page for the 650. Search for Versamail and you will find a fix for several Vmail related problems. It involves deleting a couple of possibly corrupted files and then setting up your account again. That might help.