Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    The following is my experience with lock\line and Sprint PCS:

4/23/2005 – I stopped in the rain to assist at the scene of a pretty bad traffic accident. I used my Treo 650 to call for help. After I completed the call, I laid the phone down without thinking to attend to an injured person. Needless to say, after all was said and done, my 650 was full of water and no longer works. I tried all of the tips I found here on TC to save my phone, but it had been laying in the pouring rain for hours.

I called Sprint who informed me that the phone was covered under the Total Equipment Protection Plan. They gave me the number to call at lock\line to order a replacement. The person I spoke to at the Sprint Store stated that I would have to call lock\line on Monday morning. I later discovered that was not true as lock\line has a 24 hour call center.

4/24/3005 – After researching lock\line’s website, I called them and spoke with a customer service representative. This person stated that they would not be able to replace my Treo 650, as my old Treo 600 is the phone that they have listed as being covered. I purchased my Treo 600 in November of 2003 and did not elect to purchase the Total Equipment Protection Plan at that time. I purchased my Treo 650 in November of 2004 and did in fact purchase the Total Equipment Protection Plan. The lock\line CSR was very courteous and helpful as he explained his findings to me. He stated that it appeared as if Sprint did not apply the coverage to the correct phone and that I would have to call Sprint to clear that up at which time he could send me a replacement.

I called Sprint Customer care back. I told their CSR what lock\line CSR had discovered. The Sprint CSR was very helpful as well. He noticed the problem, agreed that it was an error on Sprint’s part and would fix it. I waited on the phone for some time while he checked with his supervisor. When he returned to the phone, he stated that the Total Equipment Protection Plan had been transferred to my Treo 650 and that I would be able to contact lock\line the next day to order a replacement.

4/25/2005 – I called lock\line. I spoke to a new CSR. She reviewed my account and determined that the Treo 650 was now covered, but only as of 4/24/2005. I stated that the damage occurred on 4/23/2005. She explained to me that there was nothing that she could do because the coverage was not active on the date that the damage occurred. She then recommended that I call the next day and tell them that my phone was actually damaged on 4/25/2005. I found it very interesting that an insurance company would suggest that I commit fraud. I quickly noted that the conversation was going nowhere and that I would not be able to receive any assistance from this person.

I called Sprint Customer care back with the intention of canceling my service. I was in need of a replacement phone, as I use it for business purposes. Even though I am paying for insurance, I could not seem to get a replacement, so I saw no reason to remain with Sprint. I had all intentions of switching my service to Cingular. They connected me with the ‘Cancellations’ department. The CSR there asked me why I wished to cancel my account and I once again explained the saga to her. She again reviewed my account and stated that she does not see that any of my phones are covered. According to her records, there was no Total Equipment Protection Plan on either phone. She stated that the coverage that I did have had been canceled on 4/24/2005 at my request. I was about to burst at this point. I was at a total loss. For my troubles, Sprint offered me 50 minutes of free long distance on my home phone. What a joke.

I decided to call lock\line back one more. I wasn’t really sure why I was calling, or what I was going to say. Trust me, at this point I was ready to lay into someone. To my surprise, I was connected with the first CSR that I had spoken to there. His name is Jordan. Jordan remembered my original telephone call and reviewed my account. Within 10 minutes, he had my credit card charged for the $50 deductible and the new (refurbished) Treo 650 was on its way to me. Jordan was very helpful in getting my equipment replaced. For now I will stick with Sprint (I've been with them for quite a few years now). I will also continue the Total Equipment Protection Plan.

One thing that I learned from this experience: the Sprint Total Equipment Protection Plan is not associated with the equipment itself, but with the Sprint PCS telephone number. Even if you activate an old phone, as long as you purchase the Total Equipment Protection Plan at the time of activation, the phone is covered. To me, this seems like an opportunity for fraud. Someone could purchase a used Treo 600 cheaply on eBay, activate it and purchase the Total Equipment Protection Plan at the time of activation. They could then take a hammer to the phone and have it replaced under the plan (lock\line stated that the Treo 600 is now being replaced with refurbished Treo 650s in most cases).

Go figure…
    Sprint PCS Treo 600 & 650
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
    Glad you prevailed in your saga dude!

The minute I read that they transferred the coverage to the new phone I knew what was coming next...that the coverage only began on it at that moment! But all's well that ends well.

Did you have to send them back the damaged phone at your expense or what?

tc
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texascanuck
    Did you have to send them back the damaged phone at your expense or what?
    tc
    The lock\line CSR stated that there would be an envelope (with postage) to send the damaged unit back. I'll update the thread when the new (refurbished) phone arrives.
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I received my refurbished Treo 650 on 4/28/2005. It's slightly scratched up, but it works. I guess all is well that ends well.
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jkoons
    The following is my experience with lock\line and Sprint PCS:
    One thing that I learned from this experience: the Sprint Total Equipment Protection Plan is not associated with the equipment itself, but with the Sprint PCS telephone number. Even if you activate an old phone, as long as you purchase the Total Equipment Protection Plan at the time of activation, the phone is covered. To me, this seems like an opportunity for fraud. Someone could purchase a used Treo 600 cheaply on eBay, activate it and purchase the Total Equipment Protection Plan at the time of activation. They could then take a hammer to the phone and have it replaced under the plan (lock\line stated that the Treo 600 is now being replaced with refurbished Treo 650s in most cases).

Go figure…
    Barry!
    Very interesting.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    So they give out refurbished phones instead of new ones when you claim insurance? Somehow that doesn't seem right to me.
    i recently replaced my phone at the sprint store because a button stopped working, although the phone did not come in a prettty retail box...it did look new to me. it had the film on the screen, battery was wrapped. No scratches. Was what i got refurbished too?
    Quote Originally Posted by scriber
    So they give out refurbished phones instead of new ones when you claim insurance? Somehow that doesn't seem right to me.
    i recently replaced my phone at the sprint store because a button stopped working, although the phone did not come in a prettty retail box...it did look new to me. it had the film on the screen, battery was wrapped. No scratches. Was what i got refurbished too?
    Type in ##786# and check the referb status.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scriber
    Scriber,

My Treo 650 replacement arrived with the film on the screen as well. The phone and battery were wrapped seperate, but there was a large red sticker on the box which stated REFURBISHED. There are also several small scratches on the unit.

##786# Shows the following:

Refurb. Status: Yes
    Refurb. Provider: PMO
    Last edited by jkoons; 04/29/2005 at 10:44 AM.
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
    I wouldn't have called your experience a fiasco. It sounds like you got your replacement phone in less than a week!!! It took a little effort, but what return doesn't? Anyway, it was nice of you to help the injured guy.

On a side note, they should NEVER send refurb units with scratches. It's too easy and cheap to replace the shell.