Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Absolutely not. I consider it to be just what I said it was, a tease. It unncessarily raises expectations to a level that they may not even intend to meet.
    You may feel teased by it but I can't imagine that palmone deliberately set out with that end in mind, not unless they've given up trying to be a successful company anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerShark
    I don't see what all the fuss is about getting the "final" release. I'm a long time software developer and from my point of view, I would rather the final version not come out for a couple more months.

These unofficial beta updates that we are getting are very nice. It's nice to get new loads to test and see issues getting fixed. There is always hope that the issue that "you" feel is the show stopper will still get fixed in the next build. The longer the release date stretches out, the more updates we will be receiving. ( unofficially ), which translates into more issues getting fixed.

Once the load becomes final, there will not be anymore unofficial releases for a long long time. Plus I can already see the flaming posts once it is official talking about the letdown and how people don't see any difference between 1.23 and 1.25.

Just my 2 cents.
    I tend to agree with you. And of course, we are the media that spreads the hype, not to say the angst. However, the rumors that get legs all seem to to cite P1. I am prepared to accept that some people cite P1 to add authority to their hope. But all of them? For years? On every product or release? Other closely followed companies do not seem to have this problem. Sony does not. Apple does not. Nokia does not. Motorola does not. It is always P1. Much of the time it is about the gap between when they do something for Sprint and when they do it for everyone else. One might expect that they would want play this gap down rather than call attention to it, not to say flaunt it.

Timely is when you do not talk about things that you cannot, or do not want, to do.

I hate to think about how many of my posts to TC are about this issue. I know that no one would believe the number that I write but do not send. I admit it. This behavior really ticks me off. I do not much care when they do something but I hate the tease.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmk2888
    I'm currently have Firmware version: 1.05.

Can I update to 1.23 without 1.21, btw I have a Cingular Phone.?????????????????????????
    You can, yes. Personally, I'd suggest only going to 1.21. I've noticed some hanging during low-power mode (resulting in need to soft reset) a few times since being on 1.23 -- using Goodlink and Verichat. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Just one more P1 tease. ... I do not understand their need to string us along. It only makes people angry. They deliberately raise expectations when they cannot even meet low ones.
    Not to sound like a P1 appologist or anything... but this is the way software development sometimes goes. And, frankly, I'd rather they iron any serious problems out of the next release before launching it on us. For those that choose to take unofficial beta code, that's one thing (1.21, 1.23). But imagine the complaints and howls that would occur if P1 blessed buggy code? Can't win either way, IMHO. So best to just sit tight and wait to see what comes through the pipe...
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Is there any way to downgrade back to stock Cingular firmware? I could not get the updater to work.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    whmurray,

I agree with your frustration and have only been dealing with P1 and it's device for a month or so.

For the past couple years I have been using Moto devices (MPX200 and MPX220) and the Audiovox SMT5600.

I can say from past experience though that Moto users might argue with your point about Moto not doing the same thing. We were all waiting on a f/w upgrade for the MPX220 that had been rumored for months. Moto finally released a f/w upgrade tool on their website (late), only to pull it out after a couple weeks.

These forums are great for exchanging information, but I do think that people tend to quote company "contacts" way too much. I am not saying that these posters are making it up, but just because someone at P1 gave out a certain date doesn't mean a thing. That person may not even be involved in the product and just quoted a rumor that they heard, or even worse made up a date. Who knows. I tend to take this kind of information with a grain of salt.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Well, May 5th was supposed to be the date and since there is nothing, I said I would install v1.23.

Just finished and resynced everything. Only error was I left my SD card out when I hotsynced b/c it still had the firmware updater on it and that caused a hotsync error. Erased the updater and inserted my card back in and it worked. Whew.

So far so good. Upgraded on an AT&T locked but Cingular branded phone.
    For me, patience is a virtue...
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyserSoze
    I found 1.23 to be a bit unstable compared with 1.21. Although 1.23 no longer takes a long time to find the network as 1.21 does, I've twice had the phone resetting when there was an incoming call. This is not acceptable so I flashed it back to 1.21 for now.
    My experience with the '1.21 and 1.23 update', has been the same as yours. The '1.23 update' does not Hang (pause) during the network search, but the '1.23 update' is definately much more unstable compared to the '1.21 update'. I have noticed quite a few issues with the '1.23 update', things like the phone freezing for a little while for no rhyme or reason and the screen coming on for no rhyme or reason etc. etc. etc. Thus I too am contemplating moving back to the '1.21 update'.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerShark
    I don't see what all the fuss is about getting the "final" release. I'm a long time software developer and from my point of view, I would rather the final version not come out for a couple more months.

These unofficial beta updates that we are getting are very nice. It's nice to get new loads to test and see issues getting fixed. There is always hope that the issue that "you" feel is the show stopper will still get fixed in the next build. The longer the release date stretches out, the more updates we will be receiving. ( unofficially ), which translates into more issues getting fixed.

Once the load becomes final, there will not be anymore unofficial releases for a long long time. Plus I can already see the flaming posts once it is official talking about the letdown and how people don't see any difference between 1.23 and 1.25.

Just my 2 cents.
    Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by DAFTEK
    I had some of the issues as some of you with the 1.23, weird resets, froze on me once and sometimes very slow, i went back to the 1.21 for now and see how that goes.
    I have the same problems too amongst others, since I updated to 1.23.

Thanks to those who posted their 1.23 woes. I flashed 1.21 again and have the latest UDMH (2.9) installed.
    Latest info from Palmone Asia:
    Thank you for contacting palmOne Technical Support.

With regards to your email, please be advised that the latest official Firmware version from palmOne available in the Asia Pacific region is the Firmware 1.15. Any other firmware version is not from palmOne.

We have also been informed by our 2nd Level Engineer that palmOne will soon be releasing an Update for the Unlocked Treo 650 GSM downloadable from our website, however we currently do not have further information on the actual date of availability. Please keep posted on the Treo 650 Support website for this update at:

http://www.palmone.com/ph/support/treo650/

We hope this helped to clarify your issue.

Sincerely,

xxxxxx
    palmOne Technical Support - Asia Pacific Region

While every effort has been made to ensure the advice or information provided to you by our Technical Support Center is correct at the time of transmission, palmOne does not accept any responsibility for errors or omissions. Any advice or information provided by palmOne to you via any form of communication is not a guarantee that it will correct your problem; it is only offered as assistance to you. You are advised to back up all data stored on your product on a regular basis and always before changing software configuration or, when possible, before sending the product for repair. palmOne will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, faults, loss of data or other reactions suffered as a result of advice or information supplied. No written advice or information sent to you by palmOne may be resent, distributed or posted on any media accessible to the public (including, but not limited to, any Internet site or bulletin board) without palmOne's prior written consent.
    I have observed that maintaining ram memory to 15 mb above prevents db cache to be full immediately. Well , you're surely to have a reset sometime after but at least it wont be that often anymore. Im going to customize my rom now to get my apps in to free ram. I use resco explorer to detect if my db cache is full. Is there another app?
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB
    I have observed that maintaining ram memory to 15 mb above prevents db cache to be full immediately. Well , you're surely to have a reset sometime after but at least it wont be that often anymore. Im going to customize my rom now to get my apps in to free ram. I use resco explorer to detect if my db cache is full. Is there another app?
    Do you know of any way to manage the db cache besides doing a soft reset? It would be nice to be able to reset only the cache somewhere such as with Blazer when you exit the app.

Frank
    So far the 1.21 works like a charm, nothing wrong with it that i can see, can it be that perfect? You know what they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it
    fmcgirt,

The db cache problem is Palmone's problem. Developers and software programmers do not have access to this. Hopefully, the upgrade will address this issue or else we will still have those resets every now and then. According to SPUG, 1.23 FW 1.10 ROW is now available in Singapore. Im certain this is not the official release yet.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB
    fmcgirt,

The db cache problem is Palmone's problem. Developers and software programmers do not have access to this. Hopefully, the upgrade will address this issue or else we will still have those resets every now and then. According to SPUG, 1.23 FW 1.10 ROW is now available in Singapore. Im certain this is not the official release yet.
    Yes, I know it is their problem. I was speaking about using caches and leaving them around in general, especially when memory is such an important resource as on the 650.

In the case of DbCache, If you are going to have caches like DbCache the OS must provide hooks to manage them effectively from a programmers viewpoint. Having them cause problems is not acceptable. Seems like kind of fundamental to me.

I am using 1.23 now with Tutorial, Versamail, RealPlayer, and World Clock removed and TimeCopy, Filez, NetSelect, CleanUp, Uninstall Mgr, ResetMe, and SysInfo added. No problems except yesterday afternoon I got two resets - both involving accessing prefs in Resco Explorer.

Hopefully the officiall stuff will improve on 1.23,

Frank
    Any update on 1.25?
    For what it's worth, I've had 1.23 installed (Cing branded unlocked) for about a week with no worries, really like it and have BT DUN as well. Plus no more Cingular screen.
    -mbd26
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast