1.    #1  
    Does anyone know of a Hackmaster app to extend the functionality of the To Do list? I'm thinking of a couple of things in particular:
    [list=1][*]Ability to edit the "To Do List" title bar for more generic listmaking applications: e.g. "Shopping List," "Guest List," "Story Ideas," etc.[*]Ability to create subheadings for outlining, as in Brainforest or LifeBalance[/list=1]
    I'd prefer these features in a hack to the built-in To Do list, rather than run in a seperate application.
    i'm assuming you've tried progect?

progect.sourceforge.net

it syncs with your todo list...really cool program. (and allows subheadings. check it out....
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
  3.    #3  
    Hoser:

I tried progect, and it's great for what it is, but I had something altogether different in mind. I'm trying to eliminate the presumption of action items. This idea is this: rather than presume people want to make a To Do list, why not turn the built-in "To Do" app into a generic list maker? You could use it for brainstorming, outlining, shopping lists, criteria or anything you want. Rather than have a separate program that synchs with the To Do list, this would be a hack that would be available from within the To Do list.

My own C coding chops are pretty weak, and I don't know anything about the Hackmaster API. But I think I'm going to try my hand at creating this.
    I don't believe this is something you would do via a hack. Your idea is to change the interface and functionality of a system application. Why would it be better to hack an existing application rather than writing it from the ground up? One alternative is to write a new appl. that uses the built-in todo database but I don't know if that would buy you anything. None of the existing Task lists on the PC side would support this additional functionality so sycning wouldn't do much good unless you wrote a custom PC app and conduit.

What do you see as the benefit of adding features to the existing todo rather than as a seperate application?

I wouldn't mind seeing Palm add these features as long as the desktop PIMS supported them too. I still rely heavily on the PC PIMS.
  5.    #5  
    bregent:

On a couple of points, you're right about not being able to pull them off via hack: creating subcategories and transferring the lists to the Memo Pad. The latter feature was just something I thought of in hindsight. If I wanted to include those features, that would require a separate application, as you've said.

But the main thing is to replace the "To Do List" title bar with a generic "List" title bar. You can already create categories with the pull-down menu on the top right of the screen. That's how I got the idea in the first place: I noticed myself making all kinds of lists with the so-called "To Do" list and filed list each under a new category. Once you eliminate the "To Do" presupposition from people's heads, they might realize, "Oh, I can use this for other things!" That's the main reason why I wanted to do this via a hack: the functionality's already there; it just needs to be renamed.