Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey everyone. My name is Harrison. I love getting new cell phones and have been a member of howardforums.com for a long time. I have read a TON about the treo 650 and am considering it.

I currently have an s710a and I get new phones like they are candy. I get 45% off equipment with cingular so I can then sell my old one on eBay and in essence make money.

I will be going to college in the summer and love the idea of being able to sync with my laptop and get my class schedule on my phone and set alarms and what not and store HW/assignments/obligations.

I have a few general questions that weren't explicity answered via a search.

1) This is by far the stupidest of all my questions but I have never seen a treo in person. Is there a built in stylus? Looking at a 3d view online I cant seem to see one.
    2) Has anyone found the size to be an issue? I mean it is a little big for a phone, but not for a phone/pda combo. Does anyone have any comparison pictures of this phone next to a s710 or smt5600 or nokia 6230. I only ask for pics with those because they are my most recent phones. The s710a is a very bulky phone.
    3) Has anyone come from a s710a and gone to a treo?

Thanks for all your help in advance
    1. Yes, there is a stylus.
    2. No, I don't think it's too big at all. Compare the size of a Treo to an opened flip phone. You'll find that usually, the Treo is smaller. I don't have pics. Sorry.
    3. Not me.

If you are adept at using electronic gadgets, I would highly suggest getting a Treo. I believe most of the users on here who have problems are either Treo-illiterate or flooding their device with third-party software that may not be properly formatted for the Treo.

I love my device and have had virtually no problems with it.

Hope this helps.
    To my mind here's two types of devices out there:

1) Treo's
    2) Things that ain't a Treo and pale by comparison
  4.    #4  
    ok well thanks for your replies. it looks like i am going to have to go take a look at one in the store. unfortunately i do not think that the stores here have it yet. also with that grafitti program, is it like a firmware type think that integrates with the built in notes program or is it a whole new program. i am really considering it. i will just have to get the cash for my s710a first cause i cant lay out 330 for a dam treo.
    I'm not sure how big your sony phone is when the keyboard is out, but I'm guessing it's about the size of my Motorola a925. If I had $600 to waste, I'd get the Treo back in a heartbeat.

Alittle about my phone history... When I went to TMobile almost... 2 years ago now, I got a Treo180 from Staples. I loved sliding the sim in and being able to use it right then and there. I got internet (for free using the wap address... sigh... those were the days!) Anyway, I got hooked using the keyboard, but was unhappy with the lack of a backlight for the keys. So when they announced the Treo600, I eagerly waited for the unlocked GSM version, paid my $300 (upgrade price), smoothed things over with my fiance, talked my new company into buying it for me, smoothed things over with my fiance (again) and started using the Treo600. Dang... what a phone. There were shortcomings, but the good far outweighed the bad. The thing was incredible. Well, the 4th one was anyway. (3 replacements but that was the only downside)

Anyway, long story short, I moved for the job, and the company switched to Nextel (guh!) and I was forced to sell the Treo. All downhill from there. Switched to a sony T610 for personal use and I was given the BB7510 with Nextel, and it was far from useful. The phone was huge, the web sucked, and push email was *just* alright, but not as great as advertised (no BES at the company had something to do with that). From there, the company sputtered, and I left, keeping the BB (could've been a Treo!!). That BB led to another (7230 with a BES; email was pretty neat, but browser still sucked) and a Mot.V180 for personal use. That contract ended, and once again, I was without a PDA type phone.

So I bought a Motorolla a925. It's a good phone, less $ than a Treo650 (~$220). It's big, but usable (mostly cuz the screen is awesome). It's symbian OS, which.... meh.... it's ok. It's not palm, and there isn't the app support that palm has. But I'm happy with it. I've got the TZones now (no more free wap with TMoblie), and it's decent. Slow, but it'll do email, baseball scores, and traffic, and that's good for me. Someone at my office has a Treo650 though, and I drool everytime I see it. For me, even after all my phones/platforms... the Treo takes the cake.

I can't tell you how many times I think about transfering to cing/att JUST to get the Treo650 at a discount. I can't tell you how many times I signed up for the free Treo giveaway a week ago, only to get a lousy 15% off coupon I can't tell you what I'd give to have a Treo650.

So there you go. If I were you, I'd get it
    Last edited by chadallan80; 04/26/2005 at 10:10 AM.
    ---
    Chad Morrill
    Visor (2MB) // Visor Edge // Treo 180 // Treo 600 // Nextel Blackberry 7510 // TMobile Blackberry 7230 // Motorola V180 // Motorola A925
    http://chadsnewest.joysta.com
    here's my take on Graffiti & the Treo: Yes, you can get it as a separate program. BUT - if you really want to fly around with the Treo, and get the most use out of it, then you'll NOT use the stylus. In fact, I'd suggest that you don't go & get Graffiti, You won't need it & you won't use it, IF you decide to really understand how the 5-way navigator works. That little oval is your key to happiness with the Treo. It's all about using the thing with one hand. NO stylus.
    I agree with 'nrosser'. I was a big graffiti fan with my old handheld, but since I picked up a treo I've learned to use the 5-way more and more. I don't miss graffiti at all. Sometimes you'll load up an app that is not 5-way compatible so you have to use the stylus, or when picking at some menu selections and what not....
    ... and if you CANT use the 5-way nav, get a screen protector, and use your thumb/first finger!!
    ---
    Chad Morrill
    Visor (2MB) // Visor Edge // Treo 180 // Treo 600 // Nextel Blackberry 7510 // TMobile Blackberry 7230 // Motorola V180 // Motorola A925
    http://chadsnewest.joysta.com
    nrosser and JesseJstreet are absolutely right. I'm amazed that people haven't clamored for full dpad integration in all handhelds. When I was temporarily without my Treo (in the switch from Sprint to Cingular) I went nuts HAVING to use a stylus on a very good PPC (the Dell X50V). I didn't realize how useless most handhelds, much less smartphones, are without the Treo integrated Dpad. In my mind, it is Handsprings (yes, they developed the software) triumph and makes the usual stylus, dpad, graffiti/recognizer juggling worthless by comparison. You'll be surprised (no SHOCKED) how well integrated it is with most software.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  10.    #10  
    Well, I just stopped by my local cingular (former blue) stores and lucky for me it was D-E-A-D. I asked him to play with one, and he let me. He powered it up, popped my sim in, and I fell in love. I havent yet figured out when the wedding is though. The only thing I "disliked" was there was a tad of an odd feel when being held up against the ear. But the thing is amazing. I love the idea of being able to take it to class with me with a wireless keyboard and type up all of my notes. I could also get the wifi card and browse while I'm at school (i am going to college in the summer at UCF, woohoo). I never understood what you all meant about not even using the stylus, just using the D-pad. The thing is amazing! It is very smooth yet crisp. Very handy. As far as the stylus goes, over the native screen protector I was having trouble getting it to pic up every thing I clicked. Was this just that screen protector?

The thing is really a gem. It was very fast, and I liked the little status bar at the top of blazer telling you how much it was downloading. The guy really knew a lot and I was quite impressed, he must be reading up on here and hofo. I guess I'll have to call business sales this week and get one, I need to sell my s710a first though. I cant just lay out $322 unfortunately. It was really smaller than I thought and doesnt feel heavy at all. The screen is very nice. Can you get other browsers or is the blazer the only one. As far as syncing, does it come with a dock or just a cable.

Thanks everyone for your help
    no wifi, but your data service will let you surf nicely in class.
    the unit comes with only a cable, no dock.
    You can type your notes, or just use a voice recorder and record the class!!
    I think others have found alternate browsers but blazer works fine for me. I dont visit any java or forms heavy sites which is apparently where blazer lacks in comparison to other browsers.
    Get a good case. I like the innopocket hard case, or one of the krusell cases.
    good luck
  12.    #12  
    Well recording the class is illegal without consent ya. I could get the wifi card, I am on the phone now with NBO to get the exact amount.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    NO wifi card works with the 650. Do a search on the board and this will become self evidnet very very quickly.
    As for recording the class, as long as its for your use, I do not think it is illegal at all. to record and sell or share could be, but jsut ask the prof. I have done this in the past with no problems. (not with the treo but an old school TAPE RECORDER no less.)
  14.    #14  
    I dont appreciate your being rude, I did my homework and if you look here: http://www.uneasysilence.com/index.php?p=1719. You will see that you can get a wifi card but you must install certain drivers. Look here also: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000880023893. Now I just ordered my 650 for $282 including tax and overnight shipping. It comes tomorrow. I am very excited. It looks like I will have to search around for the abundant threads about "must have apps". This should be pretty need. Quick question, the switch up top that switches off the ringer, does that cut off ALL sound to the device? IE: movies, music, games, etc.? Or just the ringer. Thanks everyone for all your help!
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hahnyc87
    I dont appreciate your being rude
    I don't think his intent was to be "rude", he was simply stating that success with WIFI for the T650 has been marginal at-best.

From engadget.com article previously quoted (reply 16):
    I tried installing ShadowMite's WIFI for Treo 650 and it nearly destroyed by phone. Sent it into infinite looping. I had to do a hard reset and I lost all my data. I warn everyone out there not to be taken in by the apparently good news of the hack for Treo 650 WiFi. IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!!
    ...so good luck with that...
    Quote Originally Posted by hahnyc87
    I dont appreciate your being rude, I did my homework and if you look here: http://www.uneasysilence.com/index.php?p=1719. You will see that you can get a wifi card but you must install certain drivers. Look here also: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000880023893. Now I just ordered my 650 for $282 including tax and overnight shipping. It comes tomorrow. I am very excited. It looks like I will have to search around for the abundant threads about "must have apps". This should be pretty need. Quick question, the switch up top that switches off the ringer, does that cut off ALL sound to the device? IE: movies, music, games, etc.? Or just the ringer. Thanks everyone for all your help!
    You are right Wifi can work. We all know the gunius of Shadowmite and company. But it has it limits and tinkering must be done.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Fact is not rudeness. There is no WIFI card availible anywhere that you can buy, install drivers for and get working. Yes there are workarounds, hacks and patches, but the average user is not going to want to go through with that. Given that I do not know how technicaly competant you or anyone who reads this thread are, I stand behind my earlier statement with the following addition:
    NO WIFI FOR THE TREO 650*
    * unless you are willing to hack your unit, and spend a lot of your time maintining the wifi connection.

NOTE: the above post was in no way intending to be rude. Had the poster wished to be rude he would have added adjectives such as stupid, moron, or *****, or the phrases: "RTFM", "do a search", or "$%%( hole" to the above post!
    WI-FI is not such a big deal to the average Treo user. What do people plan to use the WI-FI to do? Surf the web? Retrieve email? You can do these things with the data plan available through your cellular provider. In most cases the data plan is not free so it is a cost that would have to be factored into the monthly cost for the device. The Treo is equipped with a cellular radio that allows it to connect to the wireless providersí networks. [ More ]
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
  19.    #19  
    Well it is really odd, cingular never shipped it out bla bla bla so i have to wait another day
  20.    #20  
    Is it possible to get word documents on the palm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast