Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I imagine this has been beaten to death, but it's been awhile since I checked in here, and wading through the threads is painful <g> - sorry!

My T600 has been dropped one too many times I think - it's starting to hum/buzz when on a call, and since Research In Motion was kind enough to give me a Blackberry to test I figure it's time to test it! However, I'm not giving up on Treos since I really think they are superior (I guess a few months with the BB will confirm or refute that idea).

Now, when I get ready to shell out some hard cash on a new Treo, should I get a 650? I know there were some "issues" with the 650, and for the most part I've been quite happy with my T600. So, if you were deciding on whether or not to upgrade right now, would you? Have the bugs been ironed out?

Thanks.

Danita
    I think you should wait.
    Upgrade now, 85% of Treo 650 upgraders are glad they did!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=74519
    Maybe if it is too painful to search, or "wade through threads" in this forum, you should just stick with what you have, so you do not have to strain yourself ordering the 650!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G
    Maybe if it is too painful to search, or "wade through threads" in this forum, you should just stick with what you have, so you do not have to strain yourself ordering the 650!!!
    Took the words out of my mouth.
    I guess I'm in that 15% of those that are not completely happy. My T650 is a good first step for me, but there are a number of areas that it hasn't met my expectations.

Positives: (1) It's a smartphone! I was never a T600 owner, so I didn't know how awesome it would be to have all 700+ of my contacts available on my phone that I always have with me. Not just phone numbers, but email and SMS available as well. Definitely cool. (2) There are a lot of program options. This is also a negative below (#2 - Mail - no Bb client), but I've been lucky to find some real gems for what I need (eWallet, Teal Info, zLauncher, pTunes). (3) This really has the best display of any PDA/Smartphone I've seen. (4) Battery - man this smartphone has a tough time running out! I have been able to go up to 2 days without a charge (power user) some times. Much better than other phones I've had, and better than my Bb friends say.

Negatives: (1) QUALITY. I've found that the quality of the physical hardware is not optimal. When compared to Bb, there is a significant difference in silver coated plastic (that chips) versus hardened plastic that is not coated, but really IS that color. The Bb is a much more solid phone in that sense. (2) Mail. I took the leap with the T650 based on the promise of a blackberry client, and the reality of Business Connection. The only thing that has made it bearable has been Business Connection. It works, but can occassionaly get disconnected if the desktop I have set up with my mail account gets rebooted or something else happens. Exchange integration is my only option, and when it comes to that BES is the best. My company has it installed, and I was hopeful that the Bb plug in for the T650 would be worthwhile, but I haven't been able to get mine to work (tongue in cheek - it hasn't been delivered!). (3) Bluetooth. It doesn't work that well on the pone. I finally got a headset to work to my satisfaction (Moto 850), but I only get about 8-10 feet from my phone. A work associate has a Bb and he can get about 50ft in our office from his phone. VERY DRAMATIC difference when we both tested this out. (4) Many other "little" things. Too many to name, like a 5-7 second delay to dial a contact, occasional reboots, smaller keyboard than Bb, etc.

In general, if you have the ability to wait to see what P1 has coming next, or if they'll deliver a Bb module as promised last year - I would do it. However, if you're using a 7250 or a 7290 Bb device as the replacement you describe above, it's not likely you would be happy with the T650. Particularly if you're an Exchange user. I'm hanging in there for now with my chipped, but functional T650. But I'm watching the news to see if Sprint delivers a 7250 as I've heard. Good luck with your decision...
    KitMoni
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    hell yes you do !
    mt
    I love my Treo 650. (Never had the the 600, could not give up my Tungsten T3 with 320x480 screen for the Treo 600's smaller screen and 160x160 pixels).

I am glad I have a 650, I am on Sprint for $15 monthly unlimited data, the 1.08 patch has fixed the "memory" situation. If you want a phone and a PDA in one -- the 650 is it -- until they come out with a Treo with a 4gb microdrive.

Check out Treonauts.com. Andrew has posted many pro/con articles and summaries.

I am just now waiting for them to fix the Versa-Mail glitch -- a request to delete an e-mail off the server is not honored or accomplished. Sprint and P1 are aware of this and working on the fix.

Then it will be perfect!
    Do you want a 650? Is the Pope Catholic?
    [Spoon feeding on]You should get a Treo 650 because RIM is horrid. The quality of the screen is garbage, the browser is trash, the scroll-button select method is cumbersom, and applications are few and far between[/Spoon feeding off]

You really should have searched this forum and evaluated your own needs from the plethora of posts with similiar questions. To start a new thread on this topic is something that is selfish to say the least. Please take the time to research first and make an educated decision else you're only setting yourself up for unrealistic expectations and failure.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I just flashed my GSM Treo 650 to the latest firmware and use an edited rom that contains my frequently used applications. With this development, the Treo 650 gets kicked up a notch. The most glaring problem with mine was a ram issue where applications used alot of extra memory. The latest update seems to have fixed that. So yes, get a Treo 650!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Which would you take ?

Win98 machine w/ 2.0 GHz CPU, 128 MB RAm and 17" monitor
    Win2k machine w/ 3.8 Ghz CPU, 1024 MB RAM and 21" monitor

(sorry, can't use Windows XP (Xtra Painful) in any examples)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danitaz
    I imagine this has been beaten to death, but it's been awhile since I checked in here, and wading through the threads is painful <g> - sorry!

My T600 has been dropped one too many times I think - it's starting to hum/buzz when on a call, and since Research In Motion was kind enough to give me a Blackberry to test I figure it's time to test it! However, I'm not giving up on Treos since I really think they are superior (I guess a few months with the BB will confirm or refute that idea).

Now, when I get ready to shell out some hard cash on a new Treo, should I get a 650? I know there were some "issues" with the 650, and for the most part I've been quite happy with my T600. So, if you were deciding on whether or not to upgrade right now, would you? Have the bugs been ironed out?

Thanks.

Danita
    I would recommend getting it from a dealer with a return or exchange policy and try the 650. I had my 600 for 10 months and it's been replaced 5x for different problems. It was eventually replaced by a 650 in December. So far I've never had to exchange it and I have more programs on this one compared to the 600.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Hey Danita!
    I've used them both and the 650 is hands-down, light years ahead of the 600.
    There are the typical Smartphone bugs and gotcha's but there is no doubt the 650 is much better. The screen, browser, keyboard, battery, bluetooth, etc. All much bettter than the 600 and worth the upgrade.
    Groupwise is a dream on the 650 comparied to the 600.

Enjoy!
    I paid the 175.00 contract beak fee to leave VZ and spent 500.00 at Sprint the day the T650 was available because it was endlessly obvious that the 650 was not a painful wait untill the next best device like the T600 was.