webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm OS Devices & Apps > Sprint Home Phone Box
Sprint Home Phone Box

Old 04/25/2005, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

I was in a Sprint store this weekend and they have this box that you can use to connect your regualar home phone to so you can use that while at home. It's supposedly free right now but they knew nothing about it. I couldn't find anything online and I forgot to get a brochure. Does anyone know anything about this?
jeff275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2005, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Maybe try HoFo for something on this?

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=53
curtiscarmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2005, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've got one, what do you want to know?
dboogie2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2005, 05:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Is this like the FastForward thing that Cingular does?

Joe
Quake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2005, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

does it work with a 650 and is there a charge of any kind
mrgarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2005, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Called a couple local Sprint stores, these folks had no clue what I was talking about. Can someone tell me what this box is called and how it is available? Just to confirm is the intended use of this that you can use your literal telephone handsets at home to make outgoing calls / receive incoming calls over your cellular connection?

Thanks.
adamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2005, 09:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

The thing I was most curious about is if I can get it free by ordering online or if it is only available in-store.
Old 04/26/2005, 09:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboogie2288
I've got one, what do you want to know?
Do you use a cell dock or blutooth connection to rout your cell over your home landlines? If so, are you using it with the treo650? And one more... how does it work for you and where do we get it?
GMSchiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2005, 09:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Here is an article I found on it. Couldn't find anything about If or when it's available for purchase...

http://www.startribune.com/stories/154/5101819.html

There are a coup[le products already out there tight now. They just aren't compatible with all phones (treo included) Here is the best one I've seen...

http://www.esato.com/news/article.php/id=257

just try a search for "blutooth landine docking station"
Old 04/26/2005, 10:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Nice. I like how the guys at the store told me it didn't cost anything. I kinda figured that wasn't the case. But even their "Normally it costs $199" was wrong. Sheesh.
Old 04/26/2005, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

yea, maybe there is a more uptodate article out there. that was just a quick search using " sprint landline coverter box"
Old 04/26/2005, 11:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

I've seen this thing in stores. It is *NOT* a docking station for your cell phone. It is a phone in and of itself, independant of your current cell phone. The box has it's own radio, antenna, ESN, etc and would be assigned it's own number. Conventional wireline phones plug into a socket on the box.

edit: The Star Tribune article from above is in my area (Minneapolis, MN). The displays for these devices have been in our local stores for months. They're designed for standalone use.
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2005, 11:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

So much for free. Someone needs to make a docking station where you can dock your cell phone, and then have all calls from your landline routed out over the cell. Likewise, all incoming calls to the cellphone would be routed to your in-home phones. This would allow those of us with cell plans with large numbers of minutes to take advantage of them while at home with the ease of a standard cordless or wired phone. Seems this could be done phone and carrier independent so long as there were enough "cords" to connect the various brands of phones. Too bad there's no standard for cellphone connector interfaces.
adamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2005, 11:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt
So much for free. Someone needs to make a docking station where you can dock your cell phone, and then have all calls from your landline routed out over the cell. Likewise, all incoming calls to the cellphone would be routed to your in-home phones. This would allow those of us with cell plans with large numbers of minutes to take advantage of them while at home with the ease of a standard cordless or wired phone. Seems this could be done phone and carrier independent so long as there were enough "cords" to connect the various brands of phones. Too bad there's no standard for cellphone connector interfaces.
I believe this exists.

A quick Google turns up VoxLink, but it appears the company itself is out of business. Appears they worked with Motorola, Nokia, Ericcson phones.

-jd
doogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2005, 11:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

Maybe it's just me, after not having a landline in 5 years .. but I don't understand the attraction of using a landline phone over a cell phone. Moreso with my Treo 650. If I wanted to simulate the exciting wired feel of a wireline phone, I can plug my 650 into it's charging plug and then be stationary as I chat.

When most wireline phones, and even cordless phones, are as crappy (or expensive!) as they are, I just don't see much of a reason for this wireline stuff. Maybe someone can tell me why this is such a great idea?
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2005, 12:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion
Maybe it's just me, after not having a landline in 5 years .. but I don't understand the attraction of using a landline phone over a cell phone. Moreso with my Treo 650. If I wanted to simulate the exciting wired feel of a wireline phone, I can plug my 650 into it's charging plug and then be stationary as I chat.

When most wireline phones, and even cordless phones, are as crappy (or expensive!) as they are, I just don't see much of a reason for this wireline stuff. Maybe someone can tell me why this is such a great idea?
The attraction is so you can dock your cell phone and use it as you would your landline connection. In essence, you get a call on your cellphone and it rings over your landline phones. Works in reverse as well in that you pick up any landline phone connected to your CellDocked landline and call as you would a regular landline phone.

For those with several rooms in a home or even better multi-level homes it makes a lot of sense. Most of us have more than enough mins on our cell plans and really do not need landlines. The only reason we have them is a "security blanket mentality" and convinience of not having to carry a phone around in your pocket when you are home.

If we could dock our phones using these docking stations, we would enjoy our 2.5 Ghz cordless phones we have in every room of our homes and not have to carry our expensive treos around the house while working or playing with our children.

Anyone else have other reasons why this is a cool device?
Old 04/26/2005, 12:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Well My girlfriend never hears her cell phone so that would be one big plus.
Old 04/26/2005, 12:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

true
Old 04/26/2005, 01:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMSchiller

Anyone else have other reasons why this is a cool device?
Cost. Use it as an Add A Phone (AAP) and you've got cheap home phone service. I could get an AAP for $9.95/month, and I'd call that pretty inexpensive for a home phone line sharing my 2000 minutes.

I called a couple stores in the Indianapolis area and got conflicting information regarding faxing. When I asked if it could be used for incoming/outgoing faxing, one store said no, the other said yes.

DBoogie, have you tried faxing with yours?
WinterXtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2005, 01:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

Now that's an option I hadn't even considered! but a very good option indeed. I would also want to know if a cell can be used for faxing as I will have a printer with stand alone faxing capabilities very soon.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0