1.    #1  
    I'm guessing the answer is no, but wondering if it's possible to reconfigure (even via a software hack) the function of the red/off button to that spare side button on the T650...AND still have it where if you HOLD DOWN the off button, it will turn on/off the T650's radio chip.

I really wish the brain trust at p1 would have kept that on/off button on the top of the T650! It was such a nice feature on all the previous Treos. Maybe ON next iteration they'll put it back on if enough people clamor for it...
    ###
    I agree with you. I still have TreoButton 1.0b5 that I originally got for my Treo 300 running strong. For the 600, I changed the power hard button (regular and option + ) and only used the top power button to turn the Treo on and off. Now that the top button is gone, I am forced to keep the power hard button for power and only change the option + button. If we could map the side key to the power then we could use the power button the way we want. That would be awesome if someone could write a problem to allow that and still let it be used to answer and hang up on calls.
    the carriers forced palmOne to change that button, to make that one (and also the green one) more phone-like. Answer and end buttons - that's what people are used to with phones, and believe it or not, when someone would look at a 600, and the fact that there were no answer/end buttons, that would throw people off. 'How do you answer that thang?' and 'how do ya hang up that there phone?'

Yes - that's the deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    the carriers forced palmOne to change that button, to make that one (and also the green one) more phone-like. Answer and end buttons - that's what people are used to with phones, and believe it or not, when someone would look at a 600, and the fact that there were no answer/end buttons, that would throw people off. 'How do you answer that thang?' and 'how do ya hang up that there phone?'

Yes - that's the deal.
    I understand the reason for the "send" and "end" buttons but that doesn't mean they had to get rid of the dedicated power button all the previous Treos had. But that's the decision they made. That being said, considering all that people have done with customizing the Treo 650, I'm sure someone could write a utility to allow us to use the side button as a power button.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81
    I agree with you. I still have TreoButton 1.0b5 that I originally got for my Treo 300 running strong. For the 600, I changed the power hard button (regular and option + ) and only used the top power button to turn the Treo on and off. Now that the top button is gone, I am forced to keep the power hard button for power and only change the option + button. If we could map the side key to the power then we could use the power button the way we want. That would be awesome if someone could write a problem to allow that and still let it be used to answer and hang up on calls.
    love ur ferrett, i got 2 myself!
    and a treo of course lol
    The way it is now is more consistent with all other mobile phones out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    The way it is now is more consistent with all other mobile phones out there.
    Yes but the Treo is not like other mobile phones out there. Most other phones don't have QWERTY keyboards or touchscreens. The Treo community is all about customization and personalization and getting the most from our Treos. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to want a dedicated power button that's separate from the end call button. I'm not going on a rant saying PalmOne are a bunch of idiots and they screwed us over and made a piece of crap or anything. IMHO it's just an oversight that could inconvenience some users and I'd like the ability to made another hard button as a power button. That's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgmt
    love ur ferrett, i got 2 myself!
    and a treo of course lol
    Haha, thanks. He's completely insane and can be a handful sometimes but he's great. I don't know how I'd deal with two though, lol.
  9.    #9  
    Is there a way to get this issue on palmOne's radar before it's too late? I'm guessing the design of the next gen treo is this close to being finalized, if it isn't already.

As a previous poster said, what's the harm of leaving the red disconnect as is AND keeping the power button on top? An even more groovy idea would to have the top power button have a backlight (same thing with the ringer on/off switch).

Yep, compromise is the name of the game!
    ###
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    Is there a way to get this issue on palmOne's radar before it's too late? I'm guessing the design of the next gen treo is this close to being finalized, if it isn't already.

As a previous poster said, what's the harm of leaving the red disconnect as is AND keeping the power button on top? An even more groovy idea would to have the top power button have a backlight (same thing with the ringer on/off switch).

Yep, compromise is the name of the game!
    ###
    Yeah, you know if the goal here was to make it more like a normal cellphone then tying this button to the power was not really the way to go in my opinion. For example in the phone app, if I make a mistake and I want to just start the number over, on a normal cell I could just hit end and it woudl take you back to square one, the 650 just leaves you staring at a blank screen. same thing as if I have the call log up, I wish hitting the red button would knock off the call log and take me back to the phone app. I guess I like the idea of holding it down to turn off the radio, I just wish it was more of a quit or a back button like on other phones, use another one to turn off the screen.
  11.    #11  
    There has to be a way to fix this. Example: I was playing a game of Zap! 2016 and I used the red disconnect button as the fire button...my T650 did not turn off!
    ###
  12.    #12  
    For the techies out there: How hard would it be to create a program or a extension that change the following: 'Option key' + 'power off' to turn off the T650 and have the the power off button by itself configurable to an application button?

As it stands, 'Option' + 'Power Button' is the keyguard, which doesn't make too much sense. How about changing it to the 'Option' + Menu button. That combo doesn't currently have anything assigned to it!

Also: I just noticed the side button can't just be clicked once to turn on a application. Why not do an 'option' 'side button" ?
    ###