Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    So I'm getting close to buying a Treo 650 (CDMA) and I'm looking at my options for IM.

From all the threads I've read, it looks like these 2 are the most popular messenger clients for AIM, MSN, etc.

1) Both of them have premium versions which are quite a bit more spendy, the main difference being bots and "No Multi Accounts Logins". What does "no multi account logins" mean? I know they're referring to having more than one account on the same IM service (like 2 AIM accounts or 2 MSN accounts), but are they talking about having them simultaneously logged in, or are they talking about being able to access more than one account period from the app? (like, if I have 2 msn accounts, do i have to choose one of them and never be able to use the other on the prog, or can i switch back and forth and simply not use both at once?) just curious.

2) outside of that issue, what are the pros and cons of each prog? So far it seems like most people like VeriChat better, but a lot love Causerie and say it has a better interface.

Which do you use and why do you feel it's better or suits you better?
    Personally, I found Causerie was too jittery during session setup -- icons flashing uncontrollably, I was constantly afraid it would crash -- and didn't really do well in keeping me logged in constantly the way I want.

VeriChat is significantly better IMO for being online all the time, but I wish it's group and nickname display was more like Causerie's.
    I use Causerie because I faced problems with Verichat using 2 AIM or 2 MSN accounts,only buddies of one account are shown.Also Verichat has poor background.So I am with Causerie.
    I've only had the experience of using Verichat and it's a great program. as for logging in to more than one screen name simultaneously, Verichat's interface isn't that great.. Logging on is easy, but if I have 2 screen names with the same buddy and I want to IM the buddy using a specific account, I haven't been able to figure out how to do so
    comparing verichat to causerie is like comparing a lexus to a toyota. literally. causerie background mode is a joke. try going out of signal for a bit and coming back with someone continuously IMing you in the meantime. also, the botmark feature is great- you will find that it replaces a half dozen or more applications that you would otherwise use on the treo.

verichat is rock stable and the developer continually innovates.

whenever i've tried causerie, its been an issue of instability and the *next* version will fix this. the causerie guys made us wait 5+ months for a treo 650 compatible version. in contrast, a 650 version of verichat existed before the 650 was available.

one problem with verichat is that it has a lot of features that may not be obvious at first sight, and you will continuously discover capabilities, so be sure to check out the info on their website, especially in their "tour" section. there are also a lot of versions of verichat downloadable -- so make sure you have the latest.
    if verichat is constantly upgrading and fixing things...how come they haven't fixed the biggest flaw? the terrible interface. that's the only thing keeping me on causerie even tho I get disconnected a lot and can't sign on sometimes.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    I think it's funny that everybody is always dissing the LAST version of the other product rather than the current version (which usually fixes all the problems of the last version).

Personally, I'm a Verichat user; I'm all for the stability. That said, I'm pretty agnostic on the loyalty thing -- if Causerie ever gets better, I'll happily switch to it. For now, I'll stick with the one that works better.

Treo_fanatic's right on the feature thing; the interesting thing about both of them is that they are adding features that are really useful once you start using IM on the Treo, but that you don't know you need before you use it. (e.g., stuff like creating applications that talk to a single user and/or bot so that you can attach them to speed-dial letters and not have to deal with the intervening screens when you just need to talk to your buddy you talk to all the time).
    im trying out a free trial of verichat again...and ive been gettin disconnected as much as i do with causerie, maybe even more....any help here?
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    If Verichat is fixing problems continuosly then why shud I face problems using 2 AIM or MSN accounts. I dont think they are able to provide this feature properly like Causerie.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    im trying out a free trial of verichat again...and ive been gettin disconnected as much as i do with causerie, maybe even more....any help here?
    Write to support@pdaapps.com. You need a special version of VeriChat for Cingular.

PDAapps
    Quote Originally Posted by ideas
    If Verichat is fixing problems continuosly then why shud I face problems using 2 AIM or MSN accounts. I dont think they are able to provide this feature properly like Causerie.
    ideas, please write to support@pdaapps.com. I'm sure we can figure out what specific issues you are running into and get you using VeriChat again.

PDAapps
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    Do you have Always On configured? If so, for Data or SMS? I learned that the 2.83b version mentioned applies only when using Data for Always On with Cingular.

In my case, I have been using SMS Always On (though I did get 2.83b from PDApps) and haven't noticed particular problems so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAapps
    ideas, please write to support@pdaapps.com. I'm sure we can figure out what specific issues you are running into and get you using VeriChat again.

PDAapps
    Thanks a lot. I will mail them now.