1.    #1  
    As the Treo650 is almost avalible for Orange customers I will be changing from O2 to Orange in the next Month. I heard about the Wifi hack a while ago but only just found this...

1) Copy the file to a SD card
    2) Run the file
    3) It will go [through] installing some files, followed by a soft reset
    4) It will install some more files, and identify itself as T5 Wifi installer
    5) It will ask for the Wifi Card...
    6) Insert the card and press next, it should finish and reset again.
    7) Rock and roll, experiment and figure it out...

I'm a little confused with the "WIFI CARD".

I was under the impression that the Treo650 already had the Wifi in it.

Can anybody confirm...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginja
    I was under the impression that the Treo650 already had the Wifi in it.
    No... the 650 has built-in Bluetooth, but no WiFi. Even with the WiFi hack, it's use is not stable.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Hey Mark! You're in old CT! Nice, I'm from Clinton. Good to see the constitution state reresented.

As to the hack, Ginja. The reason it is being sought is because the 650 and the T|T5 have similar hardware. No current Palm (except the Tungsten C) has WiFi built in. The Palm WiFi SD card does work on the T|T5, but not the 650.

Now why is the T|W the cellular version, and the T|C the wireless version?
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
  4.    #4  
    So if the 650 doesnt have wifi then what is going to make me purchase one of these devices???
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginja
    So if the 650 doesnt have wifi then what is going to make me purchase one of these devices???
    if it doesn't satisfy your needs..keep on looking. obviously the treo 650 isn't for everyone.
    AT&T 8925 + 8GB MicroSDHC + Jabra BT8040

Copper TREO 680 + 16GB SDHC + Holux M1000B + Palm BT Keyboard + Motorola S9
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Why do you need WiFi when you can have unlimited data service on it?... I pay $10 a month to Sprint to have unlimited Web access.

Cheers,
    Jacob H.
    Orange is a UK provider. Supposedly data plans are more expensive there.

And let's face it, in this day and age and for that price, the 650 really should have had it. Or at least let you use the Wi-Fi cards.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Well, there's always the Cellular Service Provider issue on this. If we had this cool of a phone that could Skype while at home, there is a whole revenue stream that they'll miss.

I do agree with both arguments. That's why it sucks.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    Can someone hack Skype for use on Palm OS!!!