My IT department just got Exchange 2003 up and running w/Mobile Client enabled.

The solution seems to work as advertised.

My question/problem is this:

I continually get an alert telling me that my "Default Mail Account Schedule Failed". The alert comes in every 2 minutes or so.

This is getting extremely annoying!!! I do not have an autosync schedule defined for any of my mail accounts in VersaMail. This problem only started happening after I configured the email account for Exchange.

I did take about 15 minutes to do some searches on VersaMail but did not see this problem talked about. If I did miss the thread - sorry for the duplicate post.

Jeff