1.    #1  
    Is anyone using PDANET WITH TREO 650?

It worked incredible with my Treo 600 and I want to know how it is working with 650. You can use it with 650 by using sync cable or by using blue tooth according to web site. Since I understand that the Blue tooth is a little difficult and you have to turn it on and such, I am wondering if anyone has tried it just using the sync cable like with treo 600

Julius
    PDANET is a useful program on my 650 to use with my laptop. But why should I have to bust out my laptop to surf web pages when supposedly the 650 has a built in "browser" called Blazer... Because it's not good.
    Quote Originally Posted by juliusedlavitch
    Is anyone using PDANET WITH TREO 650?

It worked incredible with my Treo 600 and I want to know how it is working with 650. You can use it with 650 by using sync cable or by using blue tooth according to web site. Since I understand that the Blue tooth is a little difficult and you have to turn it on and such, I am wondering if anyone has tried it just using the sync cable like with treo 600

Julius
    I am using 650/Cingular/PdaNet to connect my laptop. It works .. sometimes (or a lot of times) it takes a few tries to make a connection, but once it starts, it seems OK. I haven't had a chance to use it as much as with Treo 600 (which had a lot of problems disconnecting in middle of a session), so I am hoping that the connection is stable for long sessions.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the answers so far.
    I hope others weigh in on this
    Julius
    juliusedlavitch,

I have been testing it on a Cingular 650 and have have been using PDANet on my Sprint 600 since it was released. Here's the deal:

1) On the 650, it works with Bluetooth and with a cable. Cable is supposed to be faster, but I have not gotten above 60/40 up and down cable or bluetooth. This may be a Cingular speed limitation.

2) Latency on the Cingular GPRS/Edge connection seems to be better than on Sprint with PDANet. So even though Sprint speeds are faster, the Cingular connection with a laptop seems snappier.

That's the end of the good news...here's he bad news...

1) Cingular's $24.99 unlimited data plan apparently does not allow you to have a true internet connection and my VPN doesn't work like it did with Sprint's __FREE__ data plan. After hours of research on this forum, it appears to me that if you pay for the $39.99 unlimited PDA plan, you can get access to a different access point where a VPN would work.

2) I have found that the Cingular GSM T-650 has very low audio levels. My hearing already isn't that good, and I just can't hear people well when I am on calls if there is any noise in the background.

3) Because of the 650 memoy issues (the same stuff on my 600 filled up the 650), I have had to spend a ton of time moving stuff around.

For the reasons above, I am just going back to the tried and true 600 on Sprint. PDANet worked great on the 650 however...

Glenn
    i downloaded it, pluged in cable and i was surfing (no extra steps )
    fast too, i will check to see how fast.
    BRB
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I have only tried cable since it is the fastest, and since if i have my laptop i have the cable it just makes sense. Anyway im connected at 145.0 Kbps . is there a way to test this?

Oh yeah, im posting via Treo and Laptop connection
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I use PDANet via Bluetooth (Cingular) - works well and is at least twice as fast as a standard dialup.

I like it and it provides excellent utility when you need it.
    I have been using it with spint and it works great. Very pleased with it.
    pilottreo1
    I have used it for two years straight as my only conection. But it is very iunstable & slow!! On Sprint I only get average 28k!
    I used it with the cable (never can get my blutooth to work with anything) and it works great. I take my laptop with me when I'm away from home for extended periods of time and I love it. It's about as fast as dialup X 3 I've found. I'm happy with that. Very stable when connected.
    I've had great luck with it, too. I have SprintPCS service I used the PDANet versions for the Treo 300 and Treo 600 before I got the Treo 650. I find that speed varies substantially based on location and time of day (i.e., network coverage and congestion, respectively). In midtown Manhattan on the 14th floor of my building near Park Ave. and 53rd Street I typically get about 90-100 kbps during the business day and the connection is very stable. I've seen connections as high as 125 kpbs. Once with zero bars in the boonies my speed was as slow as 40 kbps, but that's the worst I've seen where there's coverage.
    Works great for me with Sprint PCS. I reported in one thread that it was slow with my unlocked Treo 650 with T-Mobile but that may have been a firewall issue.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    It looks like I am being billed extra when using PDAnet. I have the CIngular $24.99 data plan which includes GPRS and Internet Xpress. I thought the plan covered unlimited data access.

In the data section of the bill all the GPRS calls are free, but the Internet Xpress calls are being charged extra. I am guessing that the Internet calls are showing up when I use PDAnet and the Treo is acting a dial up modem.

Can other PDAnet users let me know how they are being charged?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I called Cingular this morning. They said that the extra charges on my bill were a mistake and that they would be removed! The CS rep said she would have to delete then add the Internet package to my account which would remove the extra charge.

Seems strange to me, but I did check my account online and saw the credit for internet Xpress.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I have been using PDANet with my 650 with SprintPCS Vision service both with Cable and BT. Has worked great. No problems. Bandwidth is much better when using cable. I even did a little work over the cable connection. I connected to a client from the beach via their VPN. Speed was doable but a little frustrating.
    Leonard R. Knight, Jr.
    lrknight@dbrsystems.com

http://www.dbrsystems.com
    Experts in Industrial Automation
    and System Integration
    I was told by AT&T and Cingular that the $24.99 unlimited price is for using the mobile device untethered. If you attach a laptop either using USB or Bluetooth, they charge $0.001/kB (about $1/MB). I remeber seeing this in some small print in one of their brochures but can't find it anymore. I even had someone change my account to be a data account with voice services added (same price as before, just different setup) and it didn't help. Every time I use my laptop I get charged.

In my setup I have a problem with PDANet and the USB cable. It works great using BT, but when using the cable I get an error code and the connection drops. I've written Junefabrics about it but their solution is to just use BT! It's more convenient anyhow, is what they say. I do like BT better so it hasn't been a big issue for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    PDANET is a useful program on my 650 to use with my laptop. But why should I have to bust out my laptop to surf web pages when supposedly the 650 has a built in "browser" called Blazer... Because it's not good.
    My answer would be cause I can't type well with my thumbs nor see very much on a 2" screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    Latency on the Cingular GPRS/Edge connection seems to be better than on Sprint with PDANet. So even though Sprint speeds are faster, the Cingular connection with a laptop seems snappier.
    Sprint tops out at about 80 kbps....Cingular tops out at 220 kbps. There is almost no latency with Sprint. Latency on Cingular is significant on short transfers. See http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2C17...72936%2C00.asp

If you d/l large files tho, the EDGE speeds ris sharply.