1.    #1  
    Purchased yesterday here in Moscow, Russia. Unlike the States there is no return policy (they check it out in the shop in front of you - it seemed to work then) - if it goes wrong - you put it in for warranty repair - even after 1 day!!!

Anyhow my problem is my PHONE KEEPS ON SWITCHING OFF .... there is no logic to this... sometimes it takes just one minute, and when I power it on again it (sometimes) powers itself immediately off.... sometimes it stays on for an hour or so.... and I can re-power it back on immediately. It sometimes shuts down as soon as I press a button (after leaving the phone alone for an hour).

A Hard reset and with no apps present I still get the SAME problem.

I was on (GSM) firmware 1.15, and I flashed to 1.21, and still have this problem!!!

Everything else seems to work fine. GPRS works well for example.

When the phone works it works well.... when it powers off it does just that.. it doesn't crash.... it just powers off and shows the phone shutting down screen... it doesn't reboot PalmOS (so it doesnt seem like a major crash......)

I am reluctant to put in for warranty repair (here in Moscow that probably would take MONTHS with no guarantee at the end it would work - Palm don't even mention Russia on their web site when it says "choose your location" !!!!)

ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED!!!

PS. #*377 doesn't do anything after a reset... not even a message. I only ever got a message from that once and that was when PiLOc (an app) crashed and caused a reboot.
    Quote Originally Posted by roguetrooper
    When the phone works it works well.... when it powers off it does just that.. it doesn't crash.... it just powers off and shows the phone shutting down screen... it doesn't reboot PalmOS (so it doesnt seem like a major crash......)

PS. #*377 doesn't do anything after a reset... not even a message.
    If the phone is just turning off, there would be no reset and therefore no message from #*377.

Have you checked to make sure the SIM card is correctly installed? There have been some reports of the cards being "loose" and simply adding a small piece of paper under it to hold it snug helps.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Smells like a SIM problem. It may be defective, or it may just be making poor physical contact.

First try this: put a small piece of paper behind the SIM in its sled and reinsert it. If it still has problems add another layer of paper. Be careful to add just one layer at a time, up to a max of about 3 or 4; if you add too many at once, you may jam the SIM sled and never get it out again.

If that doesn't work, see if the store will replace the SIM.
  4.    #4  
    Guys

Thanks for the replies.... now why didn't I think of that!!! !@$%#@^@%^

Just placed some adhesive tape under the SIM (between the holder and the SIM) folded in half so contact is made with the SIM holder and the bottom of the SIM card...

reinserted SIM holder

fingers crossed - it hasn't rebooted yet - usually it reboots if played around with within minutes.... I'll keep you informed... but it looks hopeful

thanks again!!
  5.    #5  
    It Works!!!
    Thanks Again Guys!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by roguetrooper
    It Works!!!
    Thanks Again Guys!!!!
    Another happy camper... A great thread...
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!