Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sounds like glorified Flash Ram to me. Someone (was it Blue Nomad?) used to have a program where you could access the unused flash ram on a Palm V. I used to use it to keep programs, and a backup of my address and datebook db's so even after a hard reset I could be up and running with my important info...
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Hello all

I've read the tread now, but please make it simple to me
    - do we just "see" this BUILTIN part of the memory, or is it available for progs and files as well?
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Quote Originally Posted by jorang
    ...do we just "see" this BUILTIN part of the memory, or is it available for progs and files as well?
    Depends.

If you want to used it like a SD card to launcher programs, then the answer would be no.

If you used a program like Filez or Resco Explorer to move LEDOff.prc to the BUILTIN A: drive, it will not be seen for use in a launcher program.

If you want to use it as storage, then the anwser is yes. Like in the example above, you could move a file like ShadowMite's patched BTManager file into the BUILTIN A: drive so that it would not get executed unless you moved it to the appropriate place.

You could move files like pictures or documents in the root directory and store them there until you moved them back to the appropriate place for viewing.

This is all done with the knowledge that the "hidden" files would consume RAM and wouldn't be removable except by the same or similar app that allowed you to place it there in the first place.

I would not recommend that a "Novice" or "Regular" user to mess with this area.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    I hope what it means is we can permanently dump all the bad and useless applications P1 has saddled the phone with in ROM. We could then replace them with apps we would like to have on our Treo's. Isn't this the idea ?
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipse
    I hope what it means is we can permanently dump all the bad and useless applications P1 has saddled the phone with in ROM. We could then replace them with apps we would like to have on our Treo's. Isn't this the idea ?
    You can essentially do this now with a ROM editor. Although some apps like pTunes don't get along in ROM.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWowe
    Yes it could be possible, but it's pointless. You would save no memory copying a program from Internal to BUILTIN because they're the same memory. One is a "database" view and one is a "filesystem" view.

The only thing its really useful for is storing files that are not .pdb or .prc that can't usually be put in main memory. For example, in testing the hack I'm working on, I could play an mp3 with pTunes. Possibly it might work with Card Export II.

Of course, SD cards now are cheap (or free from Palm1), so is it really necessary? It's fun from a hacking perspective, but really useful? Who wants to fill up their 23 megs with MP3s?

If there's enough demand, I might polish up and release the hack, but does anyone really care? The Filez is enough to copy files to and from, and to access the "Photos & Videos", which was my main motivation in the first place.
    Maybe consider using your talents and the knowledge this exercise has gained you to make a backup program that actually backs up everything? Including the photos etc.
    It seems like there is a niche market here where if you can actually do it you would be the only one with that feature.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    For the layperson, there really is no applicable use for this method.

That said, it is an interesting dissertation on the inner-workings of the device. Also, there may be a coo use, but none too good as of yet. Geeks only apply.

For the layperson.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    Maybe consider using your talents and the knowledge this exercise has gained you to make a backup program that actually backs up everything? Including the photos etc.
    It seems like there is a niche market here where if you can actually do it you would be the only one with that feature.
    I have a feeling that the backup software authors already know about this and are figuring out how to update their backup software to best support it. So far this technique would apply to backing up a Tungsten 5 (T5), Tungsten E2 (T2), and a Treo 650 as well as any new Palm that come out from this point forward as I am sure they will all use the NVFS from now on.

Now if DrWowe would contact the programmer at Bits'N'Bolts author of BackupMan and point him in the right direction or give him a nudge I'm quite sure that he would be very appreciative as would all of us users that have on more than one occassion lost our pictures on our Treo 650 by not Hot Syncing regularly enough. Being able to backup our photos as well as everything else on the go mobily will help us all out greatly!

Also DrWowe why don't you go ahead and polish up your BUILTIN access hack so those of us with mobile backup software can just create a manual backup and point it to that location to back up the Photo's and Video's.

Oh yeah and thanks for this, these, those, and your future hack's! I use every one of them and think they are great!

Thanks!

-Shawn
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I'm using Mapsonic, a french navigation-system on my treo 650 and on my TT3. There is a possibility to add personalized POIs to the programm, which are build in the pc-program Mapstore and then synced to the palm.
    On my TT3 I find a file "xyz.poi" in RAM. If I want to get rid of it, I can copy it to SD, and Mapsonic works fine without this POIs.
    On my Treo650 this file cannot be found.
    I think it's saved on Internal Card, as in hotsync-protocol there's a line:
    "Copying from D:\Programme\ViaMichelin\ViaMichelin Navigation\InstallFiles\womo_SP_D.poi to 1MapSonic/WOMO_SP_D.POI"
    So: If I could get access to internal card, I could copy the file to SD and delete it on internal card and vive versa.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by conum
    So: If I could get access to internal card, I could copy the file to SD and delete it on internal card and vive versa.
    Go back to the first post in this thread, and download the special version of Filez I posted as an attachment. It will let you copy the files from the internal card.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice
    If you want to used it like a SD card to launcher programs, then the answer would be no.
    It's possible with a hack, but a little pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by godschoice
    I would not recommend that a "Novice" or "Regular" user to mess with this area.
    I agree completely. For general purpose use, it's better to let applications worry about how things are stored. Filez itself is an advanced user tool, much like regedit on Windows.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrixey
    Now if DrWowe would contact the programmer at Bits'N'Bolts author of BackupMan and point him in the right direction
    Sorry, I don't know these people at all, and I don't have the time to write a complete backup program. But I think this is a necessary feature for any backup program to properly support NVFS machines. Everything a programmer needs to know about this in the following dicusssion at the Palm developer forum, so if you have contacts with the developers of these programs, point them here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/palm-dev.../msg85816.html

Quote Originally Posted by sbrixey
    Oh yeah and thanks for this, these, those, and your future hack's! I use every one of them and think they are great!
    Your welcome! Feedback like this really helps make it worth the bother to post things here.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I found the technical details of it.

http://palmos.combee.net/blog/TheNVF...yncsCanFa.html
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123