1.    #1  
    I am relatively new to this forum but have been reading a lot lately because I am considering getting a treo 650. Currently I have a pda but no cell phone, but plan on getting a cell phone soon. So one big reason I am considering getting a treo 650 is because if I can have one device that does the same (or almost the same) as two devices it would be more convenient. So I don't need a smartphone as far as business or anything, but I do currently use a pda for tasks, contacts, e-books, audio books, mp3's, etc. So I guess in a nutshell I was just curious if there were others out there that have the 650 for similar reasons....i.e. not just business people? Thanks for any feedback, this is a really great and useful forum! Mike
    Now get some business and get a Treo , no the treo is for anybody who wants one , and that sounds like you
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Thats all I use mine for. Audible, MP3s (and streaming audion), contacts, internet, IM, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by raptor13
    I am relatively new to this forum but have been reading a lot lately because I am considering getting a treo 650. Currently I have a pda but no cell phone, but plan on getting a cell phone soon. So one big reason I am considering getting a treo 650 is because if I can have one device that does the same (or almost the same) as two devices it would be more convenient. So I don't need a smartphone as far as business or anything, but I do currently use a pda for tasks, contacts, e-books, audio books, mp3's, etc. So I guess in a nutshell I was just curious if there were others out there that have the 650 for similar reasons....i.e. not just business people? Thanks for any feedback, this is a really great and useful forum! Mike
    The more you see what your treo can do the more you will use it. I know I have. I have totally ignored my Gameboy SP in lieu of playing with my treo. Watching anime, playing Mp3s, listening to audiobooks. There's so much out there for this thing it's quite amazing. I've seen "business people" do less than what you do with treos and blackberrys. Their business app is more messaging and emailing, which is a little part of the treo.

Go for it, you will not be sorry.
    I use mine for a

dictionary
    checkbook registry
    todo list
    spell checker
    nursing drugbook
    flash cards

But for the most part, I just think pdas are fun

To get a good idea about the types of Treo here go here
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 04/24/2005 at 09:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by raptor13
    So I guess in a nutshell I was just curious if there were others out there that have the 650 for similar reasons....i.e. not just business people? Thanks for any feedback, this is a really great and useful forum! Mike
    You bet there is! I am pretty much one of them. I do use my Treo in my work activities, but not because it's a necessity. Its just that since getting my Treo and finding out what it can do I have found so many uses for it in my work.

I've also just about quit carrying my iPod around as well since the Treo does so well with mp3 files. I now have a fast 2 GB SD card, so music storage is not a huge problem. It's not that much trouble to add/remove mp3 files, especially if you have an SD card reader in your PC or laptop as I do. I keep almost 1 GB of music files stored on my card as well as oodles of docs, several books, and apps.

If you're using a pda now, I don't think you will regret a Treo 650 purchase since you get all a good pda has to offer plus extras as well as a pretty good integrated phone. And it feels like a phone, not a pda!
    I'm a stay-at-home dad, and I have a Treo 650 just because I'm a propeller-headed techno-nerd gadget freak.
  8.    #8  
    I appreciate everyones responses. I think I am gonna give it a shot, worse case if I am not impressed with the treo I can return it. In theory it looks good, of course some of the horror stories on here scare me a bit, but hopefully I will get lucky with my purchase. Also I do believe smartphones have a big future and will only be getting better. Mike
    Most of that bad stuff you hear on the Treo 650 relates to 3rd party applications. The Treo 650 was alot different than the past palm devices with its NVFS and it took the developers of 3rd party applications awhile to make compatible versions of their software. The NVFS (nonvolitile file system) is the direction of all PDAs, although next generations of PDAs will surely resolve issues and P1 is working on another update to the 650 issues (memory leaks and a patch to the stock hidden card for accurate back up among other things) NVFS is the way to go since with VFS (volitile file system) you risk losing all data if your battery goes dead, if you drop your phone and the battery comes out, or some time with a reset (not always). So since the Treo 650 is different in having this new (fairly new to palm) feature many 3rd party applications that we were all use to running on any palm had to be tweaked as they often do for new devices, the creation of OS 5, and more so for the 650, many users are to lazy to check on the compatibility of the software they use. So they get crashes and blame the device but its not the devices fault its users and 3rd party software developers because new devices to some degree almost always require software to be tweaked. I had numerous crashes in the first 3 weeks but spent the time to track down the causes. All of it related to incompatible software. I took out the offenders and waited or found alternative compatible software. It was alot of work but thats the price you pay when you want the newest devices. It has been 3 months since I have hade a crash. Most developers have now released compatible applications. Also you are not going to find a device that is issue free. Onother note, if your use to regular cell phones the loss of phone capabilities may cause you to drop calls in areas where you use to get good reception. Im no expert on the subject but this site is great for this information.
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 04/24/2005 at 10:31 AM.
    I'm a stay-at-home mom and run the entire household from my Treo. It's amazing to be able to play with the kids, take the dog out, cook, breastfeed the baby and EVERYTHING else while entering financial transactions, making appointments and the best...surfing the web all with one- hand!

Blademonkey...how do you watch anime on your Treo. Is it only for adults or any anime?
    I use it as a cheap gps and video player. I am selling my ipod too. pTunes is not as smart as ipod but it's good enough.
    The Treo 650 is great for college students also. The functionality of the Treo keeps me in contact with professors, clients from work, and family with email or voice services. Since my purchase of the 650 it has been invaluable to me keeping assignments turned in on time, keeping appointments, and even sometimes creating a spreadsheet or word document on the fly. Taking notes in class is even possible if you have become very comfortable with the keyboard. O yeah, its a nice phone too.

So, with that being said, I live between two cities. One city I work in and crash with the parents (without a decent computer or internet connection). The other I attend classes in. The Treo keeps me on track and connected. Its my almost as great as my dog.
    I think you'll like it. If by business people you mean email, then the treo does so much more ( and you already know that because you are apart of treocentral.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Well, I'll tell you what, if it meant having to be a business person to own a Treo then 75% of the people on this forum would be banished. I think it's safe to say that most of us here are just geeks that have passion for what we carry.

Give it time Raptor, and the Treo will mold itself into your life and become as much a part of it as having to eat and breathe...it's that addicting!
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com