1.    #1  
    First post, so let me first say Hi. I visit this site daily for all the great information that helps me get the most out of my Sprint Treo 650, which BTW, I'm thrilled with especially after the 1.08 update.

I've noticed that after using BackupMan that videos I've encoded for watching on the Treo 650 no longer play well (video and audio stutters)--this occurred both before and after the Sprint 1.08 update. I thought the update was supposed to fix all the issues with BackupMan, but this one still occurs for me.

I've got about 11MB RAM available. I'm using TCPMP 0.64 for video, although Mmplayer would give buffer errors too. The only solution I've found to get back good performance is to soft reset. I have BackupMan set to automatically run every night, so everyday I have to soft reset if I want to get good video performance.

Anybody else notice this? Are there any solutions, preferably free, that would clear the memory after running BackupMan? Or allow me to schedule a soft reset for after my backup? Does BackupBuddy have the same problem (i.e. related to NVFS on the 650)?

Thanks for any suggestions!
  2.    #2  
    Would someone be willing to run a test for me... play a movie through Mmplayer or TCPMP; then run a full backup to SD with BackupMan; and finally, try and play the same movie again. Do you get stutters in video and/or audio, or buffer errors in Mmplayer?

Is there anyway to fix this short of doing a soft reset? Anyway to schedule a soft reset? Does BackupBuddy have the same problem?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by psisquared
    Would someone be willing to run a test for me... play a movie through Mmplayer or TCPMP; then run a full backup to SD with BackupMan; and finally, try and play the same movie again. Do you get stutters in video and/or audio, or buffer errors in Mmplayer?

Is there anyway to fix this short of doing a soft reset? Anyway to schedule a soft reset? Does BackupBuddy have the same problem?
    Can't get anyone to run a little test for me? Please...
    I back up nightly with Backupman, and while I'm not an avid video watcher, i haven't noticed anything in particular. However, my experience is that the fuller (?) the SD card is, the slower it is. Maybe that's causing some issues?
    I backup with backupman daily too, didn't figure out any performance difference.

By the way, backupman reset my Treo after "every" full backup , it's do a little annoying.
  6.    #6  
    Well, I don't think it has anything to do with my SD card being full because it doesn't occur after I reset the Treo. I just assumed it would be a problem others would see too...strange. I think it's memory related, but I'm not sure how to check things like memory fragmentation on the Treo before and after running Backupman.
    Hey psisquared, just a few days ago I noticed my videos stuttering once in a while (using TCPMP) and I always had to do a soft reset to fix the problem. I also have BackupMan auto backing up my 650 every morning at 4am. I'll test out your theory and let you know if I'm getting the same problem.
    Okay, just tested it out and yes, BackupMan seems to be the cause of the stuttering. Before I did the backup, the videos were playing fine. After the backup, the videos started stuttering. That's a good catch, psisquared. I'll try out BackupBuddyVFS tonight and see if I'm getting the same results. I guess soft resetting is the only solution for now.
  9.    #9  
    Looking forward to hearing about your tests with BackupBuddy, TR30. The other solution, that might be a little cheaper than buying a different backup program, would be if I could simply schedule a reboot to occur after my daily backup. Any simple programs out there that can run an app at a specified time? I'll try sending an email to Bits N' Bolts and see if they have any comments.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    I can verify the same problem here. I had no idea BackupMan was the culprit. Good catch, psisquared.

For now, I'll just do a soft reset before playing any videos. But I do hope this gets resolved eventually. I love BackupMan, and I love TCPMP.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Just use FlyBackUp and forget trouble!
    I'm so happy with Treo650GSM! WBR! 3Daemon
    Quote Originally Posted by cooltony
    ...By the way, backupman reset my Treo after "every" full backup , it's do a little annoying...
    Ditto here.

CGordonn
  13.    #13  
    I've pretty much worked around this problem by using LookAtMe, a free alarm program that lets you schedule a program to launch. I set it to run Mreset, another free program that does nothing but reset your Treo when run. I have this run nightly after my BackupMan backup runs. Since I have PowerUp (free for this purpose) set to automatically restart the phone after a reset this has been a perfectly reliable system (don't know why the Treo doesn't always start up the phone when it was on before a reset, but oh well).

Crazy amount of programs needed to work around what must be a BackupMan bug (since other backup programs don't seem to have this problem), but at least everything's running great now. Rebooting once a day probably doesn't hurt to keep things running smoothly either.

Bit's N Bolts was of little help, claiming that BackupMan does not reside in any memory while running a Movie. However, it seems obvious that it does something to the Treo memory (fragment maybe?) that doesn't allow smooth playback, or in the case of Mmplayer, buffer errors.