1.    #1  
    If I do decide (to use my 15% of coupon) to get a Sprint T650 before the cupon expiration date (hate it that it expires so darn quick), would the new P1 updater be pre-installed on the unit already? How would wou tell with out opening the box and taking that risk and sending it back if it didn't have the update?
    ###
    sprint just replaced my defective treo 650 with a 650 that already has the 1.08 installed....
    same here. I replaced my old Treo 650 (broken audio to the left ear) with a refurbished one from Sprint, and it already had the update. And it appears to already have deteriorating audio... :-O
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  4.    #4  
    anybody else order through a T650 vai the P1 site in the past 2 weeks or so?
  5.    #5  
    I just called P1 Tech AND Customer Support and know one seems to know. The closest to a response was 'you go to the P1 Website to do the update.'

IMO, that's poor customer service, considering buyers are potentially shelling out over $500 for a piece of hardware.

Heck, eventually LockLine had T600s with the Sprint updater. Here's hoping the bean counters at P1 are not controlling the way things are done. I miss Handspring...
    What's wrong with just running the updater? It's easy if it's a brand new phone, because you don't have to worry about backing things up or having conflicts.
  7.    #7  
    Here's another take on why P1 should install the updater on future production runs on the T650. (Note: Sarcasm alert)

From reading previous threads, it seems P1 made the T650 strictly for the virgin Treo user (no power on/off button on top, only 32MB of RAM, crappy SW on the ROM like Versamail and Real Player).

That said, it should follow basic logic that P1 would try to make the user experience for that virgin Treo user as seamless as possible.

I just wonder how many virgin T650 users who have never heard of TreoCentral (or Shadowmite's Web Site) will have problems installing the updater.

To make my point, I have an elephant's memory on the T600 Sprint update...about 25% of TC users had difficulty either with the installation process itself and/or the after effects of a 'basic installation.'

###
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    I just called P1 Tech AND Customer Support and know one seems to know. The closest to a response was 'you go to the P1 Website to do the update.'

IMO, that's poor customer service, considering buyers are potentially shelling out over $500 for a piece of hardware.

Heck, eventually LockLine had T600s with the Sprint updater. Here's hoping the bean counters at P1 are not controlling the way things are done. I miss Handspring...

Oh come on, lighten up. How is a CSR at Sprint supposed to know what firmware will be on the phone that they send you, when you could get any one of hundreds, if not thousands of 650s at their warehouse?

It's most likely that the CSR is at a call center that's hundreds of miles away from where they are shipping it from, therefore they have no say which particular phone some guy in a warehouse is going to pick off the shelf to send to you. To say it's poor customer service is an overzealous statement.
  9.    #9  
    Anybody hwo has ordered the T650 via the coupon deal/contest get your Treo yet? What's the software/firmware on it?! Inquiring minds want to know!
    ###
    I ordered my sprint treo 650 phone and treo bluetooth headset on sunday afternoon and received it Tuesday afternoon via fedex.
    it has the 1.08 firmware already loaded.
    sprint switched the numbers instantly, added vision free for 2 months, made a note to give it to me for $10 in 2 months, and added the insurance for $5 month.
  11.    #11  
    Kipsy,

Awesome news! I'll be ordering my T650 after I get off work in a hour. For us who patiently waited, now we have the CHOICE of using the preinstalled P1 updater or tweaking a customized ROM via Shadowmite's instructions.

If you're reading this thread, thank you, palmOne!