Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Any Cingular folks been GPRS roaming in Europe yet?
    I'm off for a week of bidness over there Monday and just wondering how well it is/isn't going to work. Also, if I unlock my 650 will a prepay local SIM give me GPRS access?

Thanks.
    Yes, in Paris. Turned it on at CDG. Works fine. Got EDGE most places. Speeds were (objectively) much faster than in Seattle. Haven't seen the bill, though, yet. I am hoping Cingular's too disorganized to do the accounting.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    The accounting may well be a problem if the roaming arrangements are in their early stages.

I took my UK phone to Ireland when their GPRS was only just getting going and was told by Vodafone UK that there were not yet any recharging arrangements, so I was able to use the internet from my laptop free of charge for a week. Not the case now, unfortunately.
    Do report on the roaming charges!! I am going to be spending 12 days in Cannes next month and would LOVE to know what sort of rates I should be expecting!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize
    Any Cingular folks been GPRS roaming in Europe yet?
    I'm off for a week of bidness over there Monday and just wondering how well it is/isn't going to work. Also, if I unlock my 650 will a prepay local SIM give me GPRS access?

Thanks.
    Mize, as far as I know, getting a pre-paid sim and gaining access to GPRS is totally dependent on the carrier. I unlocked my Cingular 650 and will be renting a french sim from Cellhire. To access Data, I am going to just swap out the french sim and use my cingular sim.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    As far as I understand it, the actual charge when roaming (voice or data) depends very much on your own carrier, ie what arrangement they have with 'partner networks' in other countries. And it's certainly them who will bill you at the end of the month, so they should be the people to ask. The UK carriers, for example, all publish roaming tariffs for each country you might conceivably travel to and they all have different charges for, say, France.

Off the top of my head, I would have thought a prepay SIM a) would not necessarily give you data access, depending on the carrier (I doubt there's much demand for PAYG data); and b) would probably be (even) more expensive than roaming with your own SIM.

First port of call should be Cingular and see if you like their tariff for France (or wherever).
    GPRS/edge in Indonesia???
    the best thread EVER on prepaid SIM cards (and plans) is available at http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=388055
    Many prepaid providers give GPRS (or EDGE) access. In my travels to Thailand, I regularly use the DTAC prepaid service which gives data access (EDGE in Bangkok and GPRS in the rest of the country). Prepaid data rates are usually far cheaper than Cingular roaming data rates. YMMV.