Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been using Verichat for quite some time (dating back to my T300 days), and have always had to contend with occasional reset. These days, my T650 becomes unstable when I've closed and then reopened a session, using v.2.33b.

The only chat I use is AOL, and was wondering whether the AIM/Palm app was leaner and more stable. I haven't been making use of the bots included in Verichat.

Can someone who uses AIM or has used both AIM and Verichat please comment on stability of these apps?
    You should upgrade Verichat to v 2.82b.
    It's very stable.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    AIM is not stable on the 650. Do a quick search on the threads and you'll find the reports.

The latest Verichat has been very stable, I'd just upgrade to that in your shoes.
    verichat rules....background feature w/ sms is really nice
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    USELESS POST (mine)
    I have been very happy with Verichat v 2.82b. It is stable and feature rich.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    AIM has been stable for me. The problem with Verichat and others like it (at least the last time I tested them)...is that you are sending all of your IMs through a 3rd party server which is then forwarded to the AIM services.
    Even if security isn't a concern...you lose at least one AIM feature which is the ability to block all users but those on your buddy list. If you need that feature (I do because my screen name was used in some TV ads) then you have to stick with the AIM client for now.
    On the desktop, Trillian supports that privacy feature so it may be possible for a Palm client to do so as well.

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by kschoenberg
    AIM has been stable for me. The problem with Verichat and others like it (at least the last time I tested them)...is that you are sending all of your IMs through a 3rd party server which is then forwarded to the AIM services.
    Even if security isn't a concern...you lose at least one AIM feature which is the ability to block all users but those on your buddy list. If you need that feature (I do because my screen name was used in some TV ads) then you have to stick with the AIM client for now.
    On the desktop, Trillian supports that privacy feature so it may be possible for a Palm client to do so as well.

Ken
    Don't know what the last version of Verichat was that you tried but as long as I can remember, you can choose whether to accept msgs from non-buddies or not.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Stable, feature rich... and EXPENSIVE as all get-out! :-)

I want my instant message,too, but that at that yearly price.
    -Craig J.

Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams
    Ah - I finally realized that Verichat has an ANNUAL FEE!! I've been using the free trial version and I was really happy with it - thought it was $39.95 and a great deal!! I'm going to have to find a free application that lets me connect to MSN/Yahoo.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by kschoenberg
    AIM has been stable for me. ................Ken

Which version of AIM are you using that is stable? My experience is that it causes endless reset loops on the Treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by anant
    Ah - I finally realized that Verichat has an ANNUAL FEE!! I've been using the free trial version and I was really happy with it - thought it was $39.95 and a great deal!! I'm going to have to find a free application that lets me connect to MSN/Yahoo.
    Thanks!
    Would be nice, but unfortunately, only the annual fee applications support the constant upgrading of the interface necessary to connect to IM servers. The others work only until the Yahoo/MSN/AIM people change their interface again (which they do several times a year).
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    So which messaging apps use TCP/IP, or at least the data connection, not the SMS protocol?

Causerie?
    Agile?
    Mundu?
    Quote Originally Posted by BCCISProf
    Which version of AIM are you using that is stable? My experience is that it causes endless reset loops on the Treo 650.
    every version of Verichat I have used has worked flawlessly.
    I'm using the T600 and 2.82b does still cause the occasional reset, but it has been very helpful, especially when sending word, excel, etc. files through IM when email is acting up.

However, does anyone know what it's doing when you lose your internet connection and then it has that window pop up that says "verichat 'hide' or 'cancel'"? Also, do you know how to turn that off?
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Quote Originally Posted by shanta
    every version of Verichat I have used has worked flawlessly.

I was asking about the standalone AIM not verichat
    the standalone AIM is the worst program ever made. EVER
    Old Nokia - Nokia 3390 Sidekick 1 (black and white) - Sidekick Color - Treo 600 - Sidekick 2 - Blackberry 7100t - Treo 650 and razr black (best combo EVER) Iphone 8gb - Iphone 3G 16gb - BlackBerry Bold
    Quote Originally Posted by granth
    i agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by granth
    Explain why. You should back up your comment with at least a decent rebuttal. Ive tried both VeriChat and the standalone AIM app and have found LESS catastrophe with AIM. Granted its been a few months since Ive used VeriChat but in the time I have switched to AIM I have had not one stability issue. With VeriChat I got the occasional reset... not to mention the fact that you are charged a recurring fee for an application that should be FREE.

AIM pros:
    + FREE (not a penny out of your pocket)
    + Stable (for me so far...)
    + Fast (I found it to send and recieve messages faster than VeriChat)
    + Did i mention it was FREE... you cant beat that.

AIM cons:
    + No background alerts (you can stay signed on in the background, but you wont be notified of any changes until you enter the application)
    + Generic user interface (pathetic but gets the job done)
    + Only visual or audio alert, no customization (i.e no vibrate or LED flash,etc)
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth
    Explain why. You should back up your comment with at least a decent rebuttal. Ive tried both VeriChat and the standalone AIM app and have found LESS catastrophe with AIM. Granted its been a few months since Ive used VeriChat but in the time I have switched to AIM I have had not one stability issue. With VeriChat I got the occasional reset... not to mention the fact that you are charged a recurring fee for an application that should be FREE.

AIM pros:
    + FREE (not a penny out of your pocket)
    + Stable (for me so far...)
    + Fast (I found it to send and recieve messages faster than VeriChat)
    + Did i mention it was FREE... you cant beat that.

AIM cons:
    + No background alerts (you can stay signed on in the background, but you wont be notified of any changes until you enter the application)
    + Generic user interface (pathetic but gets the job done)
    + Only visual or audio alert, no customization (i.e no vibrate or LED flash,etc)
    Can you post a link, please?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast