Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    While I agree that one may call the original poster an ***** for trying to answer his phone by ejecting the SD Card, he does have a valid complaint, albeit not worded well. The real problem here is that even though PalmOS has existed for around a decade, and in that time the hardware it runs on has become more powerful and more efficient, PalmOS has not adapted and been rewritten to make itself better. Coming from the UNIX world, a program should NEVER take out the OS. I thought my Samsung I300 running OS 3.5 was bad, but the Treo 650 is definitely buggier. If a program flat out doesn't run, or a program crashes, the OS should be catching these things and just terminating the program, not causing a reset. At least they fixed one thing, that being it not dumping all its memory during an especially bad reset.

Quite frankly I've never seen a commercially released piece of software that has so many bugs in it. Except maybe Windows, and at least M$ comes out with patches somewhat frequently. The problem here is quality assurance, and PalmOne must have fired their entire department.

-Chris
    Yeah, the complete lack of error management is a huge short-coming. I'll agree with everything you've said. The thing is, I knew what I was getting into when I purchased the phone (with regard to PalmOS and the 'legacy' OS they installed on the 650). Anyone who doesn't know what they purchased is an uneducated consumer and doesn't really have a leg to stand on. We don't need warning labels that say "Warning: If an application crashes, the phone will reboot" or "Warning: Versamail is absolute trash, but we've installed it in ROM because it works for 15% of the community of Treo 650 owners".

Yes, PalmOS is trash, and it has very poor error handling (if any at all), but the point is I purchased the phone knowing this and have had good experiences with it despite the limitations.

pSSH, MobileTS, Movian VPN, Snappermail, the list goes on and on. It's been great in a pinch and playing NES games has been a blast.

Truth be told, I would purchase the 650 again because there just isn't a device like it out there.
    evilghost,
    I agree totally. I love my 650, and would not go back to anything else. I just wish that P1 cared about its consumers a bit more and would push the envelope by having a rock solid product with features that weren't implemented half way. (Hey, let's have great voice dialing software available, make them pay more money for it, and then not let it work over Bluetooth.)

I knew what I was getting into as well. It'd be nice if everyone would do a bit of edumacation on their own, and then read the manual. Funny thought, P1 should put up an FAQ for users and for the support people that says to put duct tape over the SD card to prevent attempts at answering the phone via SD instead of button or BT. haha. They could even cheaply include a piece of tape for the purpose.

-Chris
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdeckard
    While I agree that one may call the original poster an ***** for trying to answer his phone by ejecting the SD Card, he does have a valid complaint, albeit not worded well. The real problem here is that even though PalmOS has existed for around a decade, and in that time the hardware it runs on has become more powerful and more efficient, PalmOS has not adapted and been rewritten to make itself better. Coming from the UNIX world, a program should NEVER take out the OS. I thought my Samsung I300 running OS 3.5 was bad, but the Treo 650 is definitely buggier. If a program flat out doesn't run, or a program crashes, the OS should be catching these things and just terminating the program, not causing a reset. At least they fixed one thing, that being it not dumping all its memory during an especially bad reset.

Quite frankly I've never seen a commercially released piece of software that has so many bugs in it. Except maybe Windows, and at least M$ comes out with patches somewhat frequently. The problem here is quality assurance, and PalmOne must have fired their entire department.

-Chris
    Chris;
    Think most people missed it, not trying to eject the damn card, but unclip the Treo from the Vaja belt clip.

Now that I use a BT headset, it does not happen anymore.

I come from a UNIX (Solaris / Linux / AIX / HPUX) world and not used to this DOS / Winders idea of rebooting ever time you press a wrong key.

My guess a lot of the idiots whom posted other responses think rebooting every day is normal. Guess they deserve the Micro$hit XP they have on their desktop.

Myself, I get pissed if I have to reboot my computer once a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdeckard

-Chris

This is the consequence of Palm using FrankenGarnet instead of Cobalt!!

A multithread/tasking OS like would not crash when a single process crashes like in FrankenGarnet... *SIGH*...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12