Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Has any one customized their ROM upon upgrade? Question: if you install, say zlauncher into the ROM upgrade, where do the registration codes go?...and if you do a hard reset later do you have to re-enter the registration codes? Thanks
    Registration codes are stored in Saved Preferences in RAM, so yes, you would need to re-enter them after a hard reset.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Registration codes are stored in Saved Preferences in RAM, so yes, you would need to re-enter them after a hard reset.
    It's probably be easier just to restore your Saved Preferences file.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gamble
    It's probably be easier just to restore your Saved Preferences file.
    True, but I interpreted the question as referring to a "virgin" 650 after a hard reset. If you're doing a hard reset, chances are that you may not want to reinstall all your preferences if you're trying to isolate a problem.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    This update is boring as sin. My Treo hasn't reset itself in 48 hours. Yawn. I was really getting used to the excitement of my twice daily resets, often at just the time when you were doing something critical.

What is wrong with you people at PalmOne? Don't you know how to make an exciting, unstable, geeky device anymore or have you just lost your touch?

Seriously... this update rocks. Just think, if they'd shipped with this, we could have been spared the months and months of bi+ching and moaning in this forum. Well, maybe not - people would still find something to complain about.
    upgrade worked well for me after reading this whole thread last night i decided i would do it as well. I used the combined download then used the SD method. worked flawlessly as others have mentioned then i even accidently did it again by launching the application once it was finished.

I have a cingular gsm treo 650 No problems and no more cingular logo.

word to all those who are going to do this. This thread does a great job of explaing how to do this without a hitch. Some things i have noticed from reading through is that people who are having problems did not download the combined version. You must hard reset before proceeding so that means you have to have a back up on your pc of files you want to sync back to. DUN is working on this new set up so before you synch back to your old files make sure you get rid of the BTManager that was added when/if you used the shadowmite patch.

i also have great savings with the memory.

have fun
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna
    The biggest issue I had was accessing the SD card. I had a hell of a time believe it or not. I took the free 128 meg SD card from PalmOne and used a third party program that made my SD card identify as a Logical drive on my PC. I opened the SD Zip file and extracted it to my desktop. It should extract as SD. I than opened that folder which showed a Palm Directory. I just copied that directory into my empty SD card because of the third party program that allowed me to drop it directly into the SD card while it was still plugged into the Treo this was easy.

Backed up my Treo than did a hard reset. When my treo reset I removed my SD card and put it back in. This executed the program and it was off and running.

after it was done installing it reset itself a few times and I was done. I made sure and formated my SD card as to remove the self executing ROM update.

I am curious if my Treo is unlocked now?
    What is this third party app that allows you to see the mem card as a logical drive in Windows? I have an HP psc2510 printer with mem card reader built in. When I insert an sd card into the printer, windows can read and write to the card(mapped drive). But it only lets me copy files in 8.3 format, no long filenames. Cant figure that out.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    OK, I am back, I posted over the weekend that I had endless trouble getting this upgrade to work at all, and now I can share some of the reasons. Because I got on this early, some of this may now be public knowledge. First, your SD card must be blank prior to starting. I spent a long time just copying the SD download file to my existing SD card, and nothing happened. I was able to manually run the Firmware updater no problem, but nothing else. Finally I read that the upgrade needed to reside in your Palm File, which I handled by trying to move the Launcher and Programmes file elsewhere. This made a mess, and didn't work either. SO, here's what to do. First, backup your existing Card somewhere, on your PC for example. Or, find a SD card you don't use, or one from a Camera. Second, wipe that card clean with whatever software you have. I used Missing SYnc, as I have a Mac, and that allows me to mount the SD card on the Mac Desktop. I then trashed everything on it. Next, copy the entire Palm file from the SD download onto your SD card. Here is where I still don'nt know the answer: Inside the "Palm" folder in the download are several zip files. At least on a Mac, if you zip the outer zip file, additional zip files that may be inside the outer one do not get unzipped. Since I coudn't fathom how the Treo would unzip the files, I unzipped the 3 files inside the Palm file that were still zipped. I left the original zipped files there as well. It is harmless, whether necessary or not, I don't know. Of critical importance: Inside the Palm folder should be two items at the same level: DeviceCustomizer [folder], and Start.prc. The Start.prc file must be at that level, or the process will not work. Do not forget to include it. Following a device hard reset, the upgrade process will begin automatically, as described. If for some reason it does not start, remove and re-insert your SD card.

My results have been outstanding. I have gained 8 - 10 meg of useable RAM !!!. My Treo runs faster, with fewer freezes and crashes. The sound quality on my handset is vastly improved, a much fuller, smoother sound. The speakerphone is louder, thought not too much louder. Rings are louder too. I have not tried my Bluetooth headset yet, but it never was a problem. This is how the Treo650 should have been released in the first place. It would be a home run, and will be, once this update gets into Cingular's hands. Oh, by the way, I had previously gotten Cingular to unlock my Treo (with no resistance, whatsoever), so I don't know if it works on locked phones or not. Also, the DUN Bluetooth is back, no need for the Shadowmite Patch.

I am so happy it's scary! It is worth the 8 hours it took, due to the fact I didn't realise how important the blank SD card was. I also ended up totally re-installing all my third party software, since I destroyed my SD card, and that, too, may be contributing to the clean performance of the unit.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Skilover; 04/27/2005 at 12:06 AM. Reason: omission
    When I try the sync method, I get an error saying
    "Different partition detected. Hotsync installer cannot be used. To upgrade your device, use the SD installer".

Has anyone seen this?
    Skilover and others have briefly mentioned that this upgrade enables DUN, which to me is the big story! More memory? Great! But getting all the benefits of the upgrade AS WELL AS the DUN fix is awesome! As my 650 is on the way, this will save me a step.

Poor ShadowMite, though, his patch has become obsolete! I'M sure he'll wow us with something new soon.
    -mbd26
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd26
    But getting all the benefits of the upgrade AS WELL AS the DUN fix is awesome! As my 650 is on the way, this will save me a step.
    Well this isn't really that surprising when you consider that this firmware is for unlocked GSM Treo 650's... I'm sure that when the customized updates come out for each cell provider, they will continue to have whatever disable features they had before. The upshot is that if you can get away with using the unlocked firmware, then I'm betting most people will opt for that. And why not? Why go with a watered down feature set when you can have one that's fully functional? Are you listening, Cingular et al? It boggles my mind that they bother coming out with customized firmware on such a device.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    Well this isn't really that surprising when you consider that this firmware is for unlocked GSM Treo 650's... I'm sure that when the customized updates come out for each cell provider, they will continue to have whatever disable features they had before. The upshot is that if you can get away with using the unlocked firmware, then I'm betting most people will opt for that. And why not? Why go with a watered down feature set when you can have one that's fully functional? Are you listening, Cingular et al? It boggles my mind that they bother coming out with customized firmware on such a device.
    Because it's the carriers who pay them the big bucks!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Anyone able to get Vindigo to install after upgrading to 1.21?
    Info says I have 9mb free now, so it should have enough room,
    but when I try to reinstall Vidigo from scratch, it always gives
    an error after the hotsynch saying not enough memory....??
    Thanks.
    Will this remove everything i have installed and uninstalled junk files?
    I plunged in, Did the update here is my take...
    Treo 650 Locked
    Did the Combined SD update from SD clean card.
    The update took less then 4 minutes.
    The Phone did not take as long as some said to find Cingular, 15 seconds tops.
    So far so good Showing Free space 21.8MB of 22.4MB

Has anyone else noticed better pictures? Also I don't have the Xpress Mail anymore and world time and some other crap cingular had in there that i did not like and was not able to delete so i thing this is great.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Just completed with my AT&T locked phone, from the SD card. Worked fine. Went from 8MB to 11MB free. Haven't seen any issues yet, but haven't tried everything either.
    I have been using v1.21 for about two days not and while I find it very stable I have noticed that the handset and headset volume is not as loud as with v1.15.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is it possible to roll back to an earlier version of firmware?
    where is the link for a pc, the link at the beginning looks like it is for a mac??
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast