Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeap
    Brett,
    How did you get them to get you the unlock code. Did you email them or call them? Did you contact tech support or customer service? Was it easy or did they make you jump through hoops? I've had my treo for only a month but have been a customer for three years. Do you think I qualify?
    Not to get too far off topic here, but I was in about the same situation. I'd actually had my Treo for less than a month at the time, but like you I've been a cingular customer for more than two years. It wasn't too difficult for me to get it unlocked, but it involved about 4 or 5 different phone calls and probably more than 1.5 hours on hold. I tried a number of numbers from the West Coast tech support number (listed in one of the threads here) who couldn't help me anyway because I'm on the east coast to the regular 800 number. One of the people I talked to finally sent me to the "International Roaming" department. Unfortunatly I didn't get a number for them, but they were the ones that finally helped me.

Each time I got through to someone I kept telling them that my wife and I were going to be traveling out of the country and we wanted to be able to use our phones with prepaid SIM cards, so we needed the subsidy unlock code. (Which actually was true... my wife and I just got home last week, and the prepaid SIM cards worked fine). I got a few people who claimed that they couldn't provide that information and I got a few people who transfered me to other people, but the international roaming people did it for me.

Initially he told me that he would have to submit the request and they would get back to me within 7 days, but I told him that I had a friend who was provided the code right over the phone. He told me that was impossible and the codes always take that long to obtain. I finally gave in and he asked for my emei number, then he said "Oh... I didn't realize you had a Treo 650. I actually am able to give you the code right now" which he did.

Brett
    seaeching for a network is as quick as before, but change is that it freezes the phone from doing anything else until it locks in a network. not sure why.

my guess is that PalmOne allowed this complete 'beta' to be released so that people like us would download it, do the testing and post our comments up! Bet that the Palm release will deal with all the remaining niggles so people should post any issues they have as fast as possible.

10 hours in, NO RESETS! can't believe it. feels like a whole new phone.

no doubt when they do finally solve all the issues the rumored Treo 650G will be out in with its 128mb NVMS and Palm GPS, but with a whole other set of untested software problems!
    help me folks...i am confussed. i downloaded the SD files and have followed the instructions from early in this thread...but my question is...what files to i hotsync to my SD card from the download? There seem to be so many as I coninue to click into the folders from the download - thanks for the quick help!
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy
    seaeching for a network is as quick as before, but change is that it freezes the phone from doing anything else until it locks in a network. not sure why.

my guess is that PalmOne allowed this complete 'beta' to be released so that people like us would download it, do the testing and post our comments up! Bet that the Palm release will deal with all the remaining niggles so people should post any issues they have as fast as possible.

10 hours in, NO RESETS! can't believe it. feels like a whole new phone.

no doubt when they do finally solve all the issues the rumored Treo 650G will be out in with its 128mb NVMS and Palm GPS, but with a whole other set of untested software problems!
    Ok..I was just thinking. by locking up the phone during network search maybe it is "preventing" those resets... LOL...a not so interesting way of fixing problem.

ok, its not like me to be negative like that. sorry!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  5. agi
    Does anyone knows when the official Cingular update will hit the Palm website? I accidentaly fried one (waiting for replacement) but am not going to try this on the new one.
    For anyone who downloaded the upgrade... Does it do anything to rectify the bluetooth headset problems? Can you now voicedial, etc, etc, etc?
    I'm going to update mine but need to know if I must do a hard reset before updating. I would prefer not to have to go to my backup file and resync everything again. For those that have done it either way, please advise.
    Many Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeap
    I'm going to update mine but need to know if I must do a hard reset before updating. I would prefer not to have to go to my backup file and resync everything again. For those that have done it either way, please advise.
    Many Thanks
    The update will automatically do a hard reset and you will lose all files. Make sure you have a backup AND hotsync before you start. Then I suggest you do a hard reset before the update just so that things are clean.
    yes everything is fine. I think... will have to give it time to test....
    Does anyone know what the proposed fixes are for this patch ?
    i may need some help i have a cingular treo 650 and got the 1.21 upgrade on firmware but it still say software 1.04-cng.i notice that everyones else says 1.06.how do i change that.thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by masterchief
    i may need some help i have a cingular treo 650 and got the 1.21 upgrade on firmware but it still say software 1.04-cng.i notice that everyones else says 1.06.how do i change that.thanks
    you need to get the COMBINED updater and then follow the SD upgrade method. The standalone SD file is missing pieces. I had the exact same issue, and then I downloaded the combined updater and did the SD tree from that. Went to 1.06.This is on a locked cingular GSM treo 650 btw, exactly the same symptoms as you.

/v
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Okay, got Chatter working fine now after making sure to completely scrub anything Chatter-related from the backup and archive directories, then doing a hard reset and syncing everything back, THEN a clean install of Chatter and resetting up my accounts. All seems well now, and I've gone from 6MB free to 12MB free.

So far so good on the stability front, after 24 hours, zero resets. I was averaging about 1-2 a day before. I'm hopeful things will be better - my Sprint Treo using friend reports the 1.08 update brought him down from 4 resets a day to one reset every 2-3 days, and I'd be absolutely delighted with a similar improvement.
    I did the update, and although info now says I
    have more than 8mb free, I still can't get Vindigo
    to install (says "ApplLib can't Install" after the
    hotsynch).
    Do I need to leave more room in the Rom?
    (customizing it with Shadowmite's tool).
    The biggest issue I had was accessing the SD card. I had a hell of a time believe it or not. I took the free 128 meg SD card from PalmOne and used a third party program that made my SD card identify as a Logical drive on my PC. I opened the SD Zip file and extracted it to my desktop. It should extract as SD. I than opened that folder which showed a Palm Directory. I just copied that directory into my empty SD card because of the third party program that allowed me to drop it directly into the SD card while it was still plugged into the Treo this was easy.

Backed up my Treo than did a hard reset. When my treo reset I removed my SD card and put it back in. This executed the program and it was off and running.

after it was done installing it reset itself a few times and I was done. I made sure and formated my SD card as to remove the self executing ROM update.

I am curious if my Treo is unlocked now?
    vgill,
    I have a file that I unzipped called Palm It is a folder within the folder called SD. I will move that Palm folder to the SD card to run the update but how do I know if that is the combined updater. I want to be able to update everything at once. If it helps, unzipped the Palm folder is 10.7MB
    Mike
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Hello

Nice to hear that so many of you have succeded with this update. I have now read through this tread, and see that a lot of you have found increase in speakerphone and earpiece volume. I also observe various gain in free memory.

- I have not seen any comments regarding the sound quality. Does this update increase volume without any improvements in sound quality? (My main concern is th quality of the sound - not just the loudness/volume)
    - What about bluetooth headset volume and quality - is that inproved?
    - And what abourt the echoing issue - is it solved when installing the update?
    - Some of you report increased camera performance - how do I see the camera version on my unlocked GSM? Which are the versions before and after the update?

(Norway - EFIGS GSM 650 Unlocked)
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    I made some mistake creating a custom Rom, and it went into a reset loop,
    so I first took out the battery thinking that would stop it, but when I put the battery back in it still kept resetting, so I tried a soft reset which did work.
    I then reflashed back to the last working Rom I had made, and this time, after hotsynching again exacty the same apps, I had more than 15mb free instead of only 8mb ?? Seems like removing the battery freed up a lot more memory than just doing a hard reset before flashing the new Rom - is that possible? All the instructions just say to do a hard reset though.
    OKay I took the plunge... did 1.21 on a Locked Cing branded 650... effortless. I used the combined 20 meg file, but SD Card method.....

NOW some advice. I had about 5 megs free space and got errors when running it, but then I quickly thought i just needed some free space for the files to copy over .. and deleted a load until I had alittle over 10 megs free presto ... tapped on the DC utility that gets added to the launcher, picked Treo 650.. and with 5-10 minutes have both the 1.21 firm 1.06 soft and the newer garnet version number.

Over all I didnt notic memory gains as I didnt record that, BUT the handheld seems much faster, more responsive. I never had a reset or crash previously and nor do i have any stability probs with the previous cingular branding. I loaded the docs office suite back on, Facer 2, and still no problems. Sound quality is way better though.... calls sound smoother... speaker phone crazy loud. I didnt have a prob with it before but now is really clear and loud at just the middle of the scale setting before i needed it on max for same effect... going to the max now you get distortion but I think its becuase of the limitation of the speaker itself, software wise its fixed. Will try bluetooth latter in the car today. Obviously DUN is enabled too...signal strenth rocks, the same or slightly better. I get the delay to when first radio on... but guys its not a big problem really, maybe like 10 seconds for me... maybe the new firmware manages the radio alittle different. But here in the boonies of Willington CT i get even a stronger signal by one bar.

Somthing i also came accross, was make sure you plug a charger in. I was fking around before my class this morning, and had to run to parking garage to my car and plug it in, becasue it was stuck in the "attanch charger before upgrade loop" once I did it all worked great.

So glad I did it, and this is my first post at TC to share. Now I really want to get a nice customized ROM.

We should share them, anyone have one with some Office suite software, and a nice launcher laying around?
    Tried the hotsync method on a locked Cingular branded... it gave me a "partition - related" error.

Tried all different combo's of the SD method... no luck..

I'm bagging it.

Interesting Note: It was nice to have the Bluetooth headset running properly after the hard reset, but as soon as I loaded my old profile back on the handheld and did a soft reset... BOOM!... back to have to manually turning on the BT headset again...
    Softick RAMDrive causes endless reset loop after installing new firmware (1.21). it must be about the change in nvfs.
    Becareful if you are using RAMDrive; don't restore it from backup after new update.

edit:
    I've tried Palm Ramdisk now and it gets the same behaviour.

beware !!!
    Last edited by ilkeraktuna; 04/26/2005 at 12:58 PM.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast