Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    Ok.. Finished reading.

I am not yet convinced that I should do this. At this point, I will continue to wait for official version.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Im with you. It seems unecessarily risky to do this at this time.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Im with you. It seems unecessarily risky to do this at this time.

I saw a 350Z yesterday. Was it you?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    well it is working FANTASTICALLY for me. all of a sudden I feel like I have my Treo 600 back, with all the advantages of the 650. This is finally the product I had been waiting for. I have put back all my old apps and the phone hasnt reset once.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettS
    I don't know because I don't use Xpress Mail. I did try it once, and I seem to recall that you had to actually download and install something on the Treo to get it to work, so I imagine that you can still do the download and install on your phone with the new firmware. The little app that lets you initially do the install that was in the Cingular ROM, is definitely gone, however, so you'd have to find the download link on your own.

Actually, come to think of it, if it's already installed on your Treo and you backup before the update and restore after then it will probably still be there after you're done. Maybe someone else who uses Xpress mail has some ideas here.

Brett
    if you need to install xpressmail after this update you can download it from www.xpressmailpe.cingular.com. Hope that helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilover
    OK, I'm beyond frustrated. I dropped the Palm file from the download on my Palm file on my SD card, which totally screwed up all the apps already on the card. It then automatically attempted to upgrade, which is a first for me, and re-did the firmware, but couldn't find the "operation application". SO, I spent forever unzipping the zipped files inside the Palm, and crashed my Mac a few times in the process, which is almost impossible, then finally got it all unstuffed, it ran by itself again, after a hard reset, and got the same exact outcome--no "operation application" What on earth is missing? There are hundreds of files in there, but evidently one is missing. WHICH???

THis is a nightmare, but for me only, which is puzzling.

ANY ONE HAVE IDEAS???
    DO NOT UNZIP the files inside the /SD directory. Once you unzipthe initial file, copy the content from inside the SD directory (the "palm" directory) to the card. On the card, the files should reside in /palm/devicecustomizer and start.prc should reside in /palm (not in /SD/palm!).
    I have a locked Cingular. I just did the update. Took about 20 minutes. Went from 5MB to 10.5MB. Phone reception meter seems to show better reception (actually reception improvements yet to be seen). Camera resolution/quality seems to be a little better. I did not have any previous reset issues, but everything seems at least as stable as before, which for me was pretty good. Will post any other noticed improvements or problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter
    I have a locked Cingular. I just did the update. Took about 20 minutes. Went from 5MB to 10.5MB. Phone reception meter seems to show better reception (actually reception improvements yet to be seen). Camera resolution/quality seems to be a little better. I did not have any previous reset issues, but everything seems at least as stable as before, which for me was pretty good. Will post any other noticed improvements or problems.
    Is your phone still locked after the update?
    Quote Originally Posted by curlykraut
    Is your phone still locked after the update?
    i have not checked. but everything i know about the locked/unlocked issue is that it's still locked. i plan on getting my phone unlocked from cingular the same way others have posted in this forum. i will be at the 3 month mark next month.
    Quote Originally Posted by f40
    ...Westronic, how have you changed the ROM to exclude Versamail & Real Player?

Thanks

Steve
    Go to Shadowmite's web page and study up on this. You are going to want the ROM update tool that makes this pretty easy. You also want the *.pdf file that lists what's in the ROM that's safe to delete.

After that you simply run the ROM update tool, follow the instructions, create the new files (two of them), replace them in the update on the SD Card and run the upgrade again.

My experience is that it's much easier if you run the tool from a folder OTHER than the one containing the ROM files you are modifying. I though it would be easier to make a copy in the same folder, but I was mstaken.

Rinse and repeat as needed. Be cautious - it is possible to screw up the machine too badly to recover. I do not know if a Cingular store can put back on the orginal ROM in that case, and it certainly would not be within warranty, though they might be nice about it.
    Last edited by westronic; 04/25/2005 at 04:21 PM.
    Can someone post a comprehensive list of application version numbers that have changed in this update? For example VersaMail went from 3.0B to 3.0C. Are there any others?
    Oh man oh man....its been 24 hours since I did this upgrade from .04 on my unlocked GSM and I have not had one damn reset. I feel like the Treo 650 has finally been released.
    Ok now that its done...

What can be deleted from rom? romUpdater, dcinstaller?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roamer1
    You may need to go into your Backup directory on the desktop, remove Chatter-related stuff (for safety just move them to another directory), then do a hard reset and HotSync again (this should let you install everything other than Chatter), then you can reinstall and reconfigure Chatter again.

That said, I use Chatter and did the upgrade last night and haven't had any problems at all.

-SC
    The only problem roamer is that I already did exactly this. The only thing I can think of is that I missed something, either a PRC or PDB that carried some old Chatter-cruft over when I synced it back on.

Since I'm the only one reporting this problem, I'm guessing it's some more complicated software interaction, so I'm going to probably hard reset, create a clean profile, and install just the Chatter beta into the clean profile, and see if I have any luck with that approach (with no other software installed, no old cruft sitting around to gunk up the works). I'll report my results tonight, since I can't do any of this until I get home from work.

Still don't get why this is only happening to me, since it's a completely repeatable issue, and I seem to have no other problems with the 1.21 update, which so far seems substantially more stable then the 1.14 firmware other than this one issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by curlykraut
    DO NOT UNZIP the files inside the /SD directory. Once you unzipthe initial file, copy the content from inside the SD directory (the "palm" directory) to the card. On the card, the files should reside in /palm/devicecustomizer and start.prc should reside in /palm (not in /SD/palm!).
    I did this and an error message comes up "Scenario file not found". What should I do?
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Just FYI my phone is a locked Cingular GSM phone that I unlocked with the code from Cingular. I updated to the 1.21 Firmware and can confirm that my phone is still unlocked. I don't know for sure if it's because it remembered that I unlocked it with the code or if the new firmware unlocked it, but I'm guessing the former.

Brett
    Brett,
    How did you get them to get you the unlock code. Did you email them or call them? Did you contact tech support or customer service? Was it easy or did they make you jump through hoops? I've had my treo for only a month but have been a customer for three years. Do you think I qualify?
    Did the update verything went as planned...
    .. I haven't really tested Speaker quality yet...
    One thing that does concern me is when I turn on the radio it takes a good minutes to find the Rogers Network ..>!!!!

..has anyone expereinced this or know of a fix ???
    my phone takes about 20-30 seconds to find the network. after that, no problem. a few other people have posted about long network seek times this already in this thread. not a major problem in my mind. once you're connected, you're good. yes?
    Quote Originally Posted by xynos
    I did this and an error message comes up "Scenario file not found". What should I do?
    Maybe what you downloaded/unzipped is bad. I'd download it again (the file with both, the hotsync and sd card method) and try again.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast